PDA

View Full Version : Problems with NIC in IP511

Custom Search

printmaki
11-29-2012, 09:22 PM
I'm having trouble with the NIC on an IP511, it seems to have disabled itself since it was last used. The blinkenlights on the NIC don't light up when a cable is plugged in, and the port on the router shows no activity. The manual isn't much help either, it tells you to press the Mode key and then select Network Setup, but there's no Network Setup option available, just Test Print, Controller Set, Set Default, Password Print, and PCL Setup (even the screenshot in the manual shows a complete lack of Network Setup). I know this worked at some point because I set it up originally, but it's been so long ago I can't remember the details. Does anyone have any ideas?

Some background: It's on a Konica 7155 for which the service contract lapsed about six months ago (because it was costing more than the printer is probably worth by now). The fans in the IP511 were clogged with dust and gunk so I cleaned them out, but that's the only change made since the it-was-working-before state. For the avoidance of doubt, I didn't clean it with a waterblaster, wasn't holding onto a 10kV cable when I touched it, and so on, just a soft brush to get the gunk out.

(On a somewhat unrelated note, does anyone know why pretty much every online source of info about the memory in the IP511 says it takes 168-pin DIMMs, but the socket is for a 200-pin SODIMM? Do I have some mutant form that no-one else has?).

Synaux
12-07-2012, 05:56 PM
I'm having trouble with the NIC on an IP511, it seems to have disabled itself since it was last used. The blinkenlights on the NIC don't light up when a cable is plugged in, and the port on the router shows no activity. The manual isn't much help either, it tells you to press the Mode key and then select Network Setup, but there's no Network Setup option available, just Test Print, Controller Set, Set Default, Password Print, and PCL Setup (even the screenshot in the manual shows a complete lack of Network Setup). I know this worked at some point because I set it up originally, but it's been so long ago I can't remember the details. Does anyone have any ideas?
If the light is not blinking on both the controller and router it is typically safe to deduce that it is 1 or three things
1) NIC
2) Router
3) Ethernet Cable

Some background: It's on a Konica 7155 for which the service contract lapsed about six months ago (because it was costing more than the printer is probably worth by now). The fans in the IP511 were clogged with dust and gunk so I cleaned them out, but that's the only change made since the it-was-working-before state. For the avoidance of doubt, I didn't clean it with a waterblaster, wasn't holding onto a 10kV cable when I touched it, and so on, just a soft brush to get the gunk out.

If the fans were clogged it is certainly possible the processor/motherboard was damaged. As a rule avoid using brushes on circuitry--static electricity can be generated and fry your components.

printmaki
12-07-2012, 11:59 PM
If the light is not blinking on both the controller and router it is typically safe to deduce that it is 1 or three things
1) NIC
2) Router
3) Ethernet Cable

I've already eliminated everything else, it's definitely the NIC (see this post (http://www.copytechnet.com/forums/connectivity/20157-konica-ip-511-type-password.html#post328221) for details). I'm currently printing via the Centronics port and an old PC jury-rigged as a print server, which works, if slowly (given that lpr/lpd isn't much above a dumb wire anyway, there's not too much of a loss of functionality, it's just slow with some stuff). I have a few feelers out to try and track down a replacement NIC...

For anyone else who's in this situation, all you need to remedy it, if you're having trouble tracking down a replacement NIC, is one of the infinite number of ZOT SoC print servers (or one of their even larger number of clones), e.g. this (http://www.01tech.com/p1-1product_detail.asp?Pid=24) for a genuine ZOT device, or anything from Aliexpress (http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?SearchText=print+server&catId=0&manual=y) for a clone.

pepper38_cnd
12-09-2012, 12:45 AM
Try to reset the KN Card:

To reset the IP511 NIC to factory settings, perform the following:

1. Power down the IP unit and remove the small rear IP511 cover.
2. Set jumper OP2 to the lower 2 pins (bottom and middle) for factory initialization.
3. Power the IP unit ON and leave it on for five minutes.
4. Power down the IP unit and reset jumper OP2 to the upper 2 pins (upper and middle).
5. Install the rear cover.6. The card should now be initialized and should print a status page once both the IP unit and the printer have come to a ready state.

Custom Search