PDA

View Full Version : Printing blocked with vendor 2 setting.

Custom Search

blackcat4866
12-15-2012, 03:03 AM
I've recently placed a bizhub C454 with a Jamex True-Count, and set to vendor 2. As is typical, there are a boatload of functions blocked including printing. The only way I could find to print was Secure Print (with vendor 2 enabled). The jobs can be seen passing through the queue, network lights blink on the MFP, and the job vanishes. Printing returns when vendor 2 is UnSet.

In Utility > Administrator Settings > Security Settings > Function Management Settings > 1. Usage Settings > Print is set to ON
In Utility > Administrator Settings > Security Settings > Security Details > Secure Print Only > tried both NO and YES (no difference).

Does anybody know a workaround?
=^..^=

Mr Spock
12-15-2012, 12:35 PM
with the vendor mode 2 I believe network services (print and scan) are turned off or disabled.

oldschool
12-17-2012, 02:51 PM
@Mr Spock
Vendor 1 had issues allowing printing not vendor 2. Network services are not turned off by default when vendor 2 is used. They are controlled by the vending device by default. They can be set to allow these functions without the vending device intervention.

@Blackcat
You have the correct settings.
On=Controlled by vendor 2 and secure print needed to vend print jobs.
Off=Not controlled by vendor 2 secure print not needed.
Restrict=Feature not available.

If it doesn't work this way;Be sure the copier firmware is up to date. I have heard from Konica Minolta that there are other models that have firmware updates with fixes related to vendor 2.

Mr Spock
12-17-2012, 11:54 PM
@Mr Spock
Vendor 1 had issues allowing printing not vendor 2. Network services are not turned off by default when vendor 2 is used. They are controlled by the vending device by default. They can be set to allow these functions without the vending device intervention.
According to the manual section 13.3.8 (pdf page 944 page I-447) Network Function Usage services are off by default when Vendor 2 mode is turned on.

If it doesn't work this way;Be sure the copier firmware is up to date. I have heard from Konica Minolta that there are other models that have firmware updates with fixes related to vendor 2.
This could be true I have not looked at the firmware for key counters as I do not have any currently.

blackcat4866
12-18-2012, 12:00 AM
Yes I updated the firmware.

I doesn't seem to print regardless of the setting (only secure print):
In Utility > Administrator Settings > Security Settings > Security Details > Secure Print Only > tried both NO and YES (no difference).
=^..^=

oldschool
12-18-2012, 02:25 PM
I'll contact Konica Minolta and see if they have an answer. I'll keep you posted.

Konica Minolta asked for the error listed in the log when you send a print job with printing set to No.

blackcat4866
12-19-2012, 01:55 AM
No error listed. It's as though the print job never arrived.
Is there another report that I'm missing? I printed off the Management Report.

Even when Private Print code doesn't match you usually get something on the screen. Not this.
One quick qualification: This is a bizhub C284. I had two machines go out the same day and got them confused-sorry.
=^..^=

oldschool
12-19-2012, 03:13 PM
Konica Minolta has confirmed that with printing set to "No" print jobs should just pass through.

Re reading the post I'm not sure the first setting is correct. In Administrator Settings > Security Settings > Function Management Settings > Usage Settings for each function> Print should be NO. (No meaning not controlled by vendor 2.) You should then be able to send a regular print job.

I'm not sure how the Security Details > Secure Print Only > setting comes into play as I've never tested it but I'd guess it too should be NO.

blackcat4866
12-20-2012, 01:55 AM
Thanks, oldschool. On next visit I'll give it a try.

Some of these translations are ambiguous at best. =^..^=

blackcat4866
02-05-2013, 12:15 AM
I've recently placed a bizhub C454 with a Jamex True-Count, and set to vendor 2. As is typical, there are a boatload of functions blocked including printing. The only way I could find to print was Secure Print (with vendor 2 enabled). The jobs can be seen passing through the queue, network lights blink on the MFP, and the job vanishes. Printing returns when vendor 2 is UnSet.

In Utility > Administrator Settings > Security Settings > Function Management Settings > 1. Usage Settings > Print is set to ON

Does anybody know a workaround?
=^..^=

I was really close ... just needed to have it pointed out by a kind gentleman in Washington. Just set "Print" to Off.

@oldschool: You were right ... I just didn't understand. I'm just dense, I guess.

Note: The True Count does not track prints with this setup, but if that doesn't matter, this works fine. =^..^=

oldschool
02-05-2013, 02:50 PM
Glad to here it's sorted all out. :)

And just to clarify for anyone else that stumbles across this thread. In order to track/charge printing; the secure print setting should be set in the driver on the PC. I've never needed the secure print setting in the copier changed and I suspect that is the setting that caused all the trouble in the first place. Then when you go to Administrator Settings > Security Settings > Function Management Settings > Usage Settings for each function> Print should be Yes. (Yes meaning controlled by vendor 2.) I have a few customers tracking/charging for print jobs this way. The caveat being that any non-secure print job sent from the PC gets deleted immediately.

Custom Search