PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous scratches on drum surface

Custom Search

marlon29
12-19-2012, 01:23 AM
Good day everyone,

We have a problem with one of our 6500, the drum always get scratch just like being cut by a cutter blade.
Anyone have encountered this one?

We have already changed the drum, I think 4 times already, but the problem still gets going. We have already replaced the charging coronas, the developing unit, and moved the dev unit away from its original position. The problem appears after about printing 100 sheets of full color.

The problem is only on the magenta drum, the 3 drums does not have sratches.

Any inputs will be of help to us....
Thanks in advance

Marlon29

Dougtech
12-19-2012, 03:29 AM
IS scratch a straight line around circumference of drum? or...?

the only items near the drum are the DV unit, Charge corona unit, and the HV detect sensor. The HV detect sensor is in a metal housing of sort and could cause the cut you describe

I am guessing scratch goes around circumference and that should be found by viewing all items in line with the scratch. Or heavily coat the inner( facing the developer) part of the drum with powder or used toner, then insert the drum carefully, remove carefully and look on the drum for where the toner rubbed off - look inside cavity for the item the toner stuck to.

blackcat4866
12-19-2012, 03:36 AM
IS scratch a straight line around circumference of drum? or...?

the only items near the drum are the DV unit, Charge corona unit, and the HV detect sensor. The HV detect sensor is in a metal housing of sort and could cause the cut you describe

I am guessing scratch goes around circumference and that should be found by viewing all items in line with the scratch. Or heavily coat the inner( facing the developer) part of the drum with powder or used toner, then insert the drum carefully, remove carefully and look on the drum for where the toner rubbed off - look inside cavity for the item the toner stuck to.

I second that. You should be able to rotate one of the scratched drums manually a few times to "paint" the offending surface. Since it's magenta, I would think the scratcher would be plainly marked. Perhaps a staple picked up from resting the magenta developing unit on the floor or table? I think all of us have done that at least once. =^..^=

marlon29
12-19-2012, 08:48 AM
yes, the scratch is circumferential to drum surface but the scratch is only small one for the first inspection. The scratch is not on the same position, it occurs anywhere on the drum surface.

We have tried swapping the whole drum carriage with another 6500 but no good. The drum still gets scratched. For now, we have tried to move the nearby components away from the drum to see to it that it won't get scratched again. so far so good...

thanks

mrwho
12-19-2012, 10:33 AM
Long shot here, but when replacing the developing unit, did you use new developer or did you use the developer from the old unit?

If the scratch changes position, the only thing that ocurs to me is some foreign matter on the developer that enters in contact with the drum scratching it (a staple, perhaps?).

I know, it's an odd possibility, but so are the symptoms.

Cheers!

Custom Search