PDA

View Full Version : bizhub 223 deveroper unit question

Custom Search

brent
12-19-2012, 11:06 PM
so I went and replaced developer and drum unit today on a machine. everything worked great but I did notice lines on the copies before and after the dv change. now that I did that. I need to replace the dv unit. at this point do I need to just put in fresh developer into a new dv unit. and run the function? I am hoping to not have to replace the drum unit as well again. just curious as it is very early in the drum live (under 300 total prints)
thanks
brent

minimerlin
12-19-2012, 11:19 PM
so I went and replaced developer and drum unit today on a machine. everything worked great but I did notice lines on the copies before and after the dv change. now that I did that. I need to replace the dv unit. at this point do I need to just put in fresh developer into a new dv unit. and run the function? I am hoping to not have to replace the drum unit as well again. just curious as it is very early in the drum live (under 300 total prints)
thanks
brentAre you sure that it is the dev unit causing the problem? What about the fuser heat roller? Also have a look at the transfer roller as they seem to wear the horns very easily and mark the drum. You should be able to just change out the dev tank without the drum if needed. Remember to do all the adjustments before and after.

JR2ALTA
12-20-2012, 12:33 AM
i've dumped almost new dev into a unit for unexpected 2557 codes.

bring everything, but it can't hurt to try

blackcat4866
12-20-2012, 01:15 AM
Those drums are very durable. I'd give it a visual inspection. If there is physical wear you'll see it.

Do you see bare spots in the mag roller coverage? Perhaps it just needs a good vacuuming, and to run some paper between the S-blade and mag roller? How many clicks on the machine? I have machines over 500K and have not had to change a developing unit yet. I think the warning comes on at 550K. =^..^=

brent
12-20-2012, 10:03 AM
It looks like there are lines in the mag roller I seem them there before

i tore it apart and did a developer change I am going to go back today and see if I missed somwrhing

CraigW
12-20-2012, 02:53 PM
We have a 223 that when I did the 1st PM I noticed that it had the old style black DS rollers and not the white ones w/bearing like our other 3 series models do.

If it does they may be worn down.

brent
12-20-2012, 05:54 PM
I must have been high yesterday. Iwent and did another drum change on a 423 today. and same thing. got it all back together. it is fine. just went and checked out the one from yesterday. it is fine.
should have looked before I leaped.

gotta love this learning curve. I am not really happy with the 423 223 machines.
because pm cycle is half of that of the bizhub 421 series. fusers are shit. got 100k out of the last one.
carefully every pm always keep pic fingers cleaned in fuser. they just seem a little bit light weight
but oh well. what can ya do? sorry for venting.

brent

CraigW
12-20-2012, 06:10 PM
Love the 200 series minus crappy dev units.

We had some 200/350 series that would go 500k + before the fuser showed marks at the thermostat...we have a 423 showing marks at the 2nd PM so something has happened for sure.

Don't care much for the crappy sped up beyond max 7020 drum and developer used on the 420-501s, and I really hate those crappy felt/foam drum seals they use. You have to keep a close eye on those or they will bite you.

brent
12-20-2012, 06:37 PM
craig. it is too funny that we know all the quirks. and we can't vent to the customers about this crap.
I love this forum. I have nobody else to vent to about my work. becuase nobody else around here works on this. I am basicallly a one man show. thank gosh for this site and you willing to share and listen. I hope that I can help people as well, as long as they are not in my area... gotta make a living some how

brent

blackcat4866
12-20-2012, 06:38 PM
It's rare to get more than 240K from the fusers. I'm hoping to start changing out the upper rollers on some of these spare units to get another 240K. =^..^=

CompyTech
12-20-2012, 06:39 PM
I hate the 421 series. Big piece o crap. The 423 is great except for the old style drum and dev unit. I expect this series the last to use this engine. Could be wrong though.:)

Kidaver
12-20-2012, 07:05 PM
I have several of this series out there and I have only had 2 odd problems. One was an ADF issue....another was a board blown due to the polarities being reversed on the electrical outlet...irony is that this was at an electrical supply store. Other than that I've done 2 PMs on a machine at a school that uses the crap out of it.....

CraigW
12-20-2012, 07:11 PM
We had a 200 that saw a lot of use go 6 PM-PM cycles without a single other call, we have had 200s doing many single prints eat developing units and destroy the drum before the 1st PM.

With the white collars in place on the XX3 series I think they have a lot of potential imo, but now the fusers seem to be a weak link.

The 420-501 PMs take forever !! 200 series quick and easy.

cbalin
07-17-2013, 05:49 PM
Hey Guys'
Not to be funny but I have a developer kit that I ordered for my Bizhub 223, I was wondering, where it goes in the printer ? Does it go inside of the drum unit ?
Thanks for all help.
CB

wseyller
07-17-2013, 06:01 PM
Hey Guys'
Not to be funny but I have a developer kit that I ordered for my Bizhub 223, I was wondering, where it goes in the printer ? Does it go inside of the drum unit ?
Thanks for all help.
CB

There are specific steps in all this. You just can't stick these parts in the machine and it work. What did you order exactly, the developer unit?. I hope you also have a package of developer. And usually you replace drum same time as developer. You have to clear the life counters, install the unit then you have to run TCR adjustment in service mode.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

cbalin
07-17-2013, 06:16 PM
There are specific steps in all this. You just can't stick these parts in the machine and it work. What did you order exactly, the developer unit?. I hope you also have a package of developer. And usually you replace drum same time as developer. You have to clear the life counters, install the unit then you have to run TCR adjustment in service mode.

Thanks for quick reply. I ordered dv411 and the drum unit with the blade, I can see where the drum unit goes but couldnt locate where I need to put/refill the developer unit. I searched online but couldnt find anything but you guys seem helpful.
Thanks again.
If there are steps somewhere you can direct me to, ill look into that too.
Thanks again

wseyller
07-17-2013, 06:37 PM
OK so you are going to change drum and developer. The developing unit itself last much longer. So you first need to reset the life counters in service mode for the drum rotation time, developer use time, and the paper dust collector assuming your drum comes with one. Turn off copier and open right door. You may have to remove a small cover (one screw) on the right side of the image unit to access the connector. Unplug connector and pull out entire image unit. Remove two silver screws from each side and separate the drum unit from the developing unit. On the developing unit there are three non magnetic screws in top to remove the lid. Dump out all the developer. Get as much out as possible. I rotate the roller forward to help convey it into the reservoir and keep dumping it out. Fill with new developer and put it all back together. Turn on copier. Asap go to service mode - image adjustment - trc adjust. Select black and press start. Wait couple minutes for it to finish and exit service mode. Personally I suggest you have someone experienced do it but otherwise good luck.

Hansoon
07-17-2013, 08:25 PM
If you are not a tech you most likely will need one. This kind of work usually cannot be done by endusers.

Hans

brent
07-19-2013, 01:30 AM
Quick question. I ran into a situation that I need a drum unit and I won't have any for a few days. Feasibly could I reuse a drum unit and just replace starter. And do the functions that I normally would? It will it cost me? How about resetting the drum and developer counters will that throw a atdc code? I know there is firmware for this. Thanks
brent

copier addict
07-19-2013, 01:38 AM
Quick question. I ran into a situation that I need a drum unit and I won't have any for a few days. Feasibly could I reuse a drum unit and just replace starter. And do the functions that I normally would? It will it cost me? How about resetting the drum and developer counters will that throw a atdc code? I know there is firmware for this. Thanks
brent

If it isn't producing lines, just let it run until you get the new drum. It won't shut down on you.
Yes there is firmware to shut off the messages and and it will run until drum and dev are truely cooked. If you are authorized KonMin tech you can find it on MyKonicaMinolta.com.

JR2ALTA
07-19-2013, 02:56 AM
The basic science is dual-component machines (separate toner-developer) should have the drums and dev. replaced at the same time.

This is because the machine lays a "patch" of black on the drum and scans it's density. During this, it takes into account the counter of each unit.

So, new dev on and old drum or vice versa can cause codes because the machine considers it too weak to continue.

Real machines , like Kyocera, use pre-mixed toner. No science, no codes.

copier addict
07-19-2013, 06:18 PM
The basic science is dual-component machines (separate toner-developer) should have the drums and dev. replaced at the same time.

This is because the machine lays a "patch" of black on the drum and scans it's density. During this, it takes into account the counter of each unit.

So, new dev on and old drum or vice versa can cause codes because the machine considers it too weak to continue.

BH223 doesn't use a patch. It uses an ATDC sensor to determine toner ratio

Hansoon
07-20-2013, 09:15 AM

http://conservativeindytechs.com/public/style_emoticons/default/muttley.gif

Hans

savi0r
07-20-2013, 10:07 AM
Hi guys. I didn't want to open a new thread, since my question is related to the developer section of a bizhub 250. Quick story : customer calls and says that the copier is leaving stripes on paper. Got there, noticed that the black stripes on paper is really developer material. I proceded to the developer unit ( which btw i changed the developer material and roller spacers a short while ago) and noticed that the side seals got torn somehow. The drum was exfoliated by about 1,2 mm in the left area. I managed to produce the side seals from some duck tape and the problem was gone. My question is : what exactly is the role of those side seals? If the drum is exfoliated at one end and the side seals are missing, can those stripes that i was talking about be the result?

blackcat4866
07-20-2013, 03:17 PM
This is called hi-jacking someone else's thread, but I'll answer.

The developing seals perform two purposes:
Firstly, the seals act as insulators to prevent arcing, which is most likely why that fixed your problem.
Secondly, the seals prevent toner and developer from contaminating the developer spacers.

Since the seals make physical contact with the drum they must be soft enough that they don't damage the drum coating. If they wear through the drum coating, even outside the imaging area, you can get drum grounding bars on your prints. =^..^=

CraigW
09-06-2016, 07:02 PM
Anyone seen the white factory DS rollers crack ???

BH223, 3rd PM @ 243K Life gauge shows around 25% still left on developing unit.

Noticed the drum was to metal at the rear side at 80k.

Gave dev unit a good inspection and found both front and rear had cracked. (replaced the developing unit to be safe)

allan
09-06-2016, 07:16 PM
Jip almost all of them. I just leave them like that. Tired of changing the collar kits.
Does not seem to affect things to much.

Now i just cut the spring on the transfer roller 2 turns shorter and break and file the white plastic guide that runs against the drum on the rear side flush with the metal guide.
Don't do it if they run thick stock.
Now no more scratched drums or worn dev seals.

Do this at your own risk.

Hansoon
09-06-2016, 08:43 PM
Does not seem to affect things to much.

It causes jitter in the prints Allan and there is much more strain on the gears.

Since years we are manufacturing those collars way before KonicaMinolta s̶t̶o̶l̶e̶ copied the idea from us. (See my avatar). Our collars will not crack and have life time guarantee. Send me one of our collars with a crack and you get 10 pcs for free in return.

touchpanel[at]rex-technika.com

:)

Hans

allan
09-06-2016, 11:12 PM
I have noticed some jitter.

May be we should get some of those collars from you guys.
No one here supplies anything to fix that problem here.

I could try some engineering plastics and make some.

They break when the machine are really young and none of the customers complained about the pitch lines yet.
Well it pisses me of when i look at test prints. But the machines and drive trains make it well past there engine life.
The way we are going thru these machines and replacing them with the new B227 generation we would not have too many of them to worry about soon.
:D

That could also be the reason some of the drum gears break??
For that i remove the shear points on the gear by chamfering the edge and they don't break after that.

I will tell an importer here of your product if he is interested i will ask him to send you a visitors message if that is ok with you.

Does that collars have race bearings in them?

Hansoon
09-07-2016, 03:46 AM
Those are selected bearings with a special clearance. Also the type of plastic and especially the way of manufacturing is critical.

We sell worldwide also in smaller quantities.

Hans

CraigW
09-14-2016, 06:39 PM
Thanks for the info, was not sure if they would break in half or not so changed out the dev unit.

I may have others that are split and not seen during PM, and this one happened to be spun to the right area to see it.

DadO
09-14-2016, 09:52 PM
Hijacking thread :D (sorry)
Ds collars are really really reallllly bad design on 250/350/222/282/362. Oh man i lost 4-5 new drum( € - $ ) till i didn't learn my lection and got ds collars from hans :D. Dont even want to talk about pdf printing on this series ( what a disaster :rolleyes: )
Even dam white pins get burned down and start to scratch drum.....any homecocking solution on this?

Hansoon
09-15-2016, 05:36 AM
Even dam white pins get burned down and start to scratch drum.....any homecocking solution on this?

We are working on this. We developed several solutions but are still in the process of testing to find out which is the best.

We solved however the problems with the little rolls from the transfer roller not turning freely but are still working to make a commercial product out of it.

Hans

copier addict
09-15-2016, 01:29 PM
We are working on this. We developed several solutions but are still in the process of testing to find out which is the best.

We solved however the problems with the little rolls from the transfer roller not turning freely but are still working to make a commercial product out of it.

Hans

Just use the BH423 transfer roller on the BH350. I have been doing that for several years and I rarely see rings worn into the BH350 drums anymore and there wasn't any change in copy quality.

Hansoon
09-15-2016, 07:16 PM
I rarely see rings worn into the BH350 drums anymore and there wasn't any change in copy quality.

Rollers are basically the same but those collars are a bit better designed. Question please: Do you use OEM or after market toner?

Hans

copier addict
09-15-2016, 07:27 PM
Rollers are basically the same but those collars are a bit better designed. Question please: Do you use OEM or after market toner?

Hans

We use OEM toner exclusively on BH350 and BH423 machines. Going this way has saved us a lot of money in fusers, drums and unneeded service calls for copy quality

CraigW
09-15-2016, 07:37 PM
On the 200-350 we had a dev unit done at the 1st PM 65k. Single copies ???

So, when we would get a new 200-350 dev unit back in stock we fitted them with the DS roll kit KMBS sells to prevent premature failure.

Those developing units stayed the exact same design/makeup to this day if you order one.

Custom Search