PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous Problems Scanning w/ Multiple bizhubs to MS Exchange

Custom Search

MFPs R Now PCs
01-18-2013, 08:04 PM
We have two bizhub's (C451 & 751) that when scanning more than 20 pages to email via the customer's Microsoft Exchange Server, the emails intermittently arrive (sometimes the get them, sometimes they don't).

The file size of 20 pages is tiny (for example 80 pages was just under 7 MB) and they want to scan around 40 most of the time (so about 3.5 MB).

The customer indicates the "limit" on the Exchange server is set to max (1 GB) and that some other limit (ISP I guess) is 20 MB.

So what I did (to not use the Exchange server at all) was input my SMTP email account for the copier to send an email with; and sent it to someone at my company (40 pages) over and over and over and over and it worked EVERY time. Then still using my SMTP email account, I sent it to someone who resides on the customers Exchange server (they are receiving), low and behold it would only intermittently arrive. So I told the customer it's your Exchange server (some other setting somewhere) and he tells me BUT THE RICOH MACHINE WE REPLACED NEVER DID THIS on this same Exchange server (therefore it's our equipment).

I don't know what else to try, any IDEAS on settings for Exchange server or my bizhub equipment??

nmfaxman
01-18-2013, 08:37 PM
Set it to single page PDF and see if they get all the pages.

I had the same thing happen from a Bizhub 200.
Going to my email was fine. Exchange server wouldn't work.
If it works to your email, it can't be the machine.
Set someone there up with a gmail account and scan to that. Can't prove it better.

Chameleon
01-19-2013, 12:43 AM
We had a Xerox M20 doing that with Exchange too. There was a patch or setting on the exchange server that fix'd it. I think Xerox even had a eureka tip about it which finally convinced them it was a server issue. Can't say I've seen this on a bizhun.
Just a shot in the dark but, go into service mode and press stop 1,1,4,4,clear. Check the date and time. If it is off there it will need adjusted in the utility mode too. Also, check the GMT time adjust too.

EarthKmTech
01-19-2013, 01:51 AM
from memory, bizhubs establish the connection to the smtp server and then start data transmission once the last page is scanned. Some smtp servers will time out and drop the connection before any data is actually transferred on long scan jobs. It may be worth checking if there is a way of altering the connection timeout on the server.

SMTP is the shittest, most inefficient method on earth for transferring large amounts of data anyway, I always recommend SMB when very large documents are scanned regularly in a given situation. However, i know some customers "just want it that way".. (and its illegal to shoot them)

Having read your original post again, you've already established the fault is not with the machine. At this point after proving the problem is not with the machine and is with their server, its time to walk away. Gotta love the "it doesn't do it with our other (insert other shitheap brand here)" Quite often this is just a way the IT staff can wash their hands of the matter and deny any responsibility and hope someone with more of a clue than them can figure it out.

Also, if there is no text body to the emails received, many mail clients will detect it as junk or trapped by a junk filter. You can add a generic text body to scanned emails for this purpose.

Custom Search