PDA

View Full Version : Electrical KM-2560 DP + Engine Board Problem

Custom Search

nickmycar
01-20-2013, 10:54 PM
Hi All,
This is my first post but I have been using this site and its wealth of knowledge for a few months now and I am hoping that you can help me solve this problem concerning a Kyocera KM-2560.

History:
Our customer called rang up and booked a service call because the Document Processor was not working at all. I.E when they tried to copy through it, the machine did nothing.

I attended site and as reported the DP was not responding, I restarted the machine with the same result.

I entered maintenance mode to perform U203, U243, U244 etc, and I could not select them. When I scrolled through, the listing jumped any item relating to the DP.

I powered off the machine and removed the back cover and checked all the wiring and plugs for secure connections to the DP and on the main engine board.

On inspection I found a black burn mark on fuse F38 on the main engine board. The plug adjacent to it YC31 supplies 24V & 5V rails to the DP.

The machine is in a correctional center so I am not allowed to take much in the way of tooling, only a Philips and straight blade screw driver. There is another machine next to it, so I loaded the defective machine into the van and take it back to the workshop.

I received a new engine board but I also soldered another fuse over the top of the blown one to test the original board in an old unused 2560 I have out the back.

The old machine works, but had a hard life and just needs new consumables. I put the repaired board in and the machine works fine for a few hundred prints I put through it.

I then swapped the DP from the damaged machine to the test machine and the fuse blew straight away. DP non functional. And not recognized in maintenance mode.

So that tells me the problem is in the DP, but my question is how can I test the DP to determine exactly which component is at fault?

All the motors spin and feel the same, bearings, and gear assemblies all look ok, nothing appear to be binding or sticking or jamming, the board looks ok, but I also replaced it and I cant find any shorts in the wiring, or open circuits. The service manual says to replace the PCB in the DP.

Any help would be much appreciated.

And sorry about the long winded post, I tried to be as descriptive as possible without writing a novel.

blackcat4866
01-20-2013, 11:37 PM
You've got a nice dead short in the DP, probably the 24v, but could be 5v. You'll have to either repair your engine board again, or replace it to continue diagnosis.

The first place I'd start is looking for conductive things like staples or screws or coins on the DP main PWB. Keep in mind that the DP is tipped up and down a lot, so your conductor could be floating around almost anywhere. You can turn it upside-down and shake it (not the whole copier, it would make a mess). I've seen staples, coins, and screws.

Next I'd pin out the pigtail that connects from the DP to the machine. Do a wiggle test: that is, watch your meter while pinning out the pigtail wiggling it back and forth. You may find that a lead opens up, or that two different leads short. It takes time, but it's worth it. If it passes the wiggle test, I'd connect the pigtail only at the copier end, then check voltages, and confirm that your fuse has survived. As likelihoods go, these first two will cover it.

If you haven't found it yet it get more challenging. Connect both ends of the pigtail, but remove all of the other connectors. Voltages still there? If lost, your short is in the DP main PWB. If you still have your voltages it's time for the tedious part. Meter out each of the remaining connectors for a short to frame ground. A dead short should be easy to find, a partial short ... not so much.

If you're still not sure where your short is, one at a time power off, plug in one connector, power up. Still got voltages? Yes? Repeat until you blow the fuse again.

So this will cost you at least two more fuses and a few hours. Enjoy! =^..^=

dickierock
01-21-2013, 05:14 PM
The dp connectors are known to be troublesome.I have replaced a few although mainly for the dp being non-responsive or throwing up error codes.If it were me I would check the main board in the dp for shorts then swap out the connector with a known good one.Test.
Good luck.

kkendric
01-21-2013, 07:22 PM
Do not forget that this machine will disable the Document Processor after it fails and you will need to get into the service mode and run a 906 to re-enable it. It will not just ensble itself.

manoj1686
02-28-2013, 09:39 AM
You've got a nice dead short in the DP, probably the 24v, but could be 5v. You'll have to either repair your engine board again, or replace it to continue diagnosis.

The first place I'd start is looking for conductive things like staples or screws or coins on the DP main PWB. Keep in mind that the DP is tipped up and down a lot, so your conductor could be floating around almost anywhere. You can turn it upside-down and shake it (not the whole copier, it would make a mess). I've seen staples, coins, and screws.

Next I'd pin out the pigtail that connects from the DP to the machine. Do a wiggle test: that is, watch your meter while pinning out the pigtail wiggling it back and forth. You may find that a lead opens up, or that two different leads short. It takes time, but it's worth it. If it passes the wiggle test, I'd connect the pigtail only at the copier end, then check voltages, and confirm that your fuse has survived. As likelihoods go, these first two will cover it.

If you haven't found it yet it get more challenging. Connect both ends of the pigtail, but remove all of the other connectors. Voltages still there? If lost, your short is in the DP main PWB. If you still have your voltages it's time for the tedious part. Meter out each of the remaining connectors for a short to frame ground. A dead short should be easy to find, a partial short ... not so much.

If you're still not sure where your short is, one at a time power off, plug in one connector, power up. Still got voltages? Yes? Repeat until you blow the fuse again.

So this will cost you at least two more fuses and a few hours. Enjoy! =^..^=

KM-2560 Engine PCB for sale (New and shipping extra)
INR- 15,000/- + shipping
Part No- 302H094340
kyocerastorage@gmail.com

Cartaos
02-28-2013, 05:13 PM
Check (change) the cable between DF and maschine.

Custom Search