PDA

View Full Version : My first Windows 8 experience...

Custom Search

mrwho
01-23-2013, 11:02 PM
... was nearly as bad as the worst day I can remember as a tech.

Am I the only one who gets easily lost trying to move around on 8? I'm skipping this update...

mojorolla
01-23-2013, 11:28 PM
No "start" button, issues with scanning, and those horrible pop up screens. Check out this program called Classic Shell:
Welcome to Classic Shell (http://www.classicshell.net/)
Gives you the familiar start button and makes navigation much easier. It is not a theme, but a program, so it can be used as needed or removed when using customer PC's.

:)

mrwho
01-24-2013, 09:54 AM
Come on guys we know that at the first we will getting lost and may about a day or two we'll get the hang of it.

Not sure if clever bot or really interested spammer person.

davidj7
01-24-2013, 11:04 AM
hell i got lost when Vista first came . Xp still is my favourate running on all my work computers and laptops and I have my home computer on Win 7.

mrwho
01-24-2013, 11:21 AM
hell i got lost when Vista first came . Xp still is my favourate running on all my work computers and laptops and I have my home computer on Win 7.

My only gripe when moving from XP to Vista/7 was the Network and Sharing Center, which I believe made it unecessarily more complicated doing simple tasks like checking the IP address and other info using the Gui (I now go directly to the command line and type IPCONFIG).

JustManuals
01-24-2013, 07:11 PM
I hate Windoze 7 and I'm certainly not going to Windoze 8. I see a MAC in my future.

Paul

Jules Winfield
01-24-2013, 07:29 PM
8 is cool, you just need to learn all the keyboard shortcuts if you're running it on a device without a touchscreen.

mrwho
01-24-2013, 09:39 PM
I hate Windoze 7 and I'm certainly not going to Windoze 8. I see a MAC in my future.

Paul

Try Ubuntu. I've been dual-booting it and it's great. My problem with Macs is to pay double or triple the price of a similar spec PC. Oh, and I don't like MacOS X (although I agree that Windows 8 is much worse - and I'm a Windows person).

rthonpm
01-25-2013, 07:54 AM
I hate Windoze 7 and I'm certainly not going to Windoze 8. I see a MAC in my future.PaulThat's a whole different batch of issues: overly expensive hardware, proprietary adapters, and terrible ideas like no Ethernet cards. The griping about Windows 8 reminds me of all the bitching and moaning I heard from Windows 95 users when XP came out. 8 may have some quirks but it's a step towards a new type of computing.

mrwho
01-25-2013, 08:34 AM
That's a whole different batch of issues: overly expensive hardware, proprietary adapters, and terrible ideas like no Ethernet cards. The griping about Windows 8 reminds me of all the bitching and moaning I heard from Windows 95 users when XP came out. 8 may have some quirks but it's a step towards a new type of computing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against change - I like the option to change. It's the fact that they're trying to shove it down my throat that makes me mad. Why no customization options for those who like it the way it was?

zed255
01-25-2013, 11:55 AM
Because everyone would immediately set it to 'classic' mode and never see the 'improvements'. I haven't seen a full release, but I'm not liking what I've seen in testing versions. Much more intuitive if a touch-screen is available, but still a nuisance.

Learn to like it boys, the mighty M$ machine sez that's how it's gonna be!

Hansoon
01-25-2013, 01:45 PM
I heard from Windows 95 users when XP came out

Sure, that's a jump. Why didn't they go to NT and W2000 in between?

My very personal opinion is that W7 is very good in the mean time but W8 is ridiculous without touch screen. Might be good or even very good for tablet computers but not for an office workstation. MS is not introducing this to improve technology or to simplifying our life, its for sure only done to forcefully re-create a marketshare for them going hand in hand ofcourse with slobbering hardware suppliers.

Hans

mrwho
01-26-2013, 12:39 AM
I, for one, will not buy a touchscreen just because MS says so. I don't like a touchscreen for computer use at home. It's nice on a tablet, and for most actions on a mobile phone, but on my desk I still very much prefer the mouse+keyboard combo, even more because I'm still a gamer (when I have the time).

mojorolla
01-26-2013, 02:31 AM
We've come a long way baby...
...er, maybe not.

:)

Shadow1
01-27-2013, 07:11 AM
Win8 is probably great if you have a tablet with a 10 inch touch screen. Sux for a desktop or even laptop computer. I have not run any version of Windows on either my personal laptop or desktop in more than 5 years. I do not miss it a bit, and the only program I've had any trouble with is TurboTax (Requires .Net 3.5 which won't run without WGA checks passed)

If you like the Windows XP experience look into Linux Mint. If you prefer OSX then Pear Linux is your option. I'd steer clear of Ubuntu right now - since they adopted the Gnome 3 interface it reminds me too much of Win8, and they've fallen off the top of Distrowatch.com

Both of these OS's are extremely stable and robust - Installation is much simpler than windows - it just flat plain works when it installs, no drivers to hunt down, etc. There are native Linux versions or replacements for all major software (Tens or hundreds of thousands of apps including: OpenOffice, FireFox, Chrome, Thunderbird, Acrobat, Scribus, Gimp, Thousands of games, and if that's not good enough the VAST majority of Windows Native programs will install and run just fine under Wine.)

Viruses and spyware are virtually non-existant on any Unix based OS, not because of their lower (but growing) popularity, but because of their superior security model. Being an Open Source Code project where anybody can see exactly how the computer code is written has advantages, too. It makes it much easier to see any possible vulnerabilities, and some geek around the world will have a patch ready within hours... just for bragging rights. In fact, the only reason I have a virus scanner on my system is so I can scan other people's drive with a USB jumper cable when I work on their computer.

And the best part is that it's all absolutely free.

Linux has a reputation as the Geek Operating System - which Microsoft certainly perpetuates, and it used to be true... Not any more - it's much more user friendly than Win8, and any Mac fan will tell you OSX is based off of a Unix derivative called BSD, which is a very close cousin to Linux.

skynet
01-27-2013, 11:04 AM
A few months ago when Windows 8 was released in the UK I decided I wanted a new PC, not because I wanted Windows 8 but because the old one was starting to have hardware issues and all the internal cards were obsolete by today's standards.

I had a genuine Windows 7 retail copy that I could just transfer right?

Got the new PC home and turned it on.

What I liked

Windows explorer now has an up button and task manager had some more features, trivial stuff really but I felt I had to add something here.

What I didn't like

Metro,

Searches are crap.

Too many steps to turn the bloody thing off.

No start button.

No bios

The following day I placed my Windows 7 disc in the drive and restarted, i booted into Win8 :mad:

As per microsofts requirements for Windows 8 pre built computers the bios screen was hidden, after some research I managed to enable it and select the disc drive as the boot media, then I got an error about invalid installation media. This turned out to be a check the PC does expecting the media to be Win8, nothing else will work. I found a whole bunch of Win8 settings in the bios and disabled everything.

Then I upgraded to Windows 7..

Hansoon
01-27-2013, 12:12 PM

"upgraded".... I like that. :cool:

Hans

Shadow1
01-27-2013, 06:30 PM

Remember how much extra money Microsoft made selling upgrades to XP when Vista came out?

skynet
01-29-2013, 06:10 PM
Remember how much extra money Microsoft made selling upgrades to XP when Vista came out?

You mean the opportunity to upgrade to Vista from XP or buy a full retail copy? I don't see a problem, every industry needs a price structure, yes the full retail is expensive so if you cant afford it buy the update.

Shadow1
01-29-2013, 08:13 PM
You mean the opportunity to upgrade to Vista from XP or buy a full retail copy? I don't see a problem, every industry needs a price structure, yes the full retail is expensive so if you cant afford it buy the update.

No, I mean the computers people bought with Vista pre-loaded, and the OS sucked so bad Microsoft got to make extra money selling them "Familiarity Upgrades" for the license to downgrade back to XP even though they had just paid for a Vista License with their new computer.

Shadow1
01-29-2013, 11:09 PM
This may be helpful to anybody cursed with Win8: 19159

draph
01-30-2013, 01:10 AM
Do you really wonder why the windows 8 project developer was canned 30 days after the introduction?

This may be helpful to anybody cursed with Win8: 19159

Hansoon
01-30-2013, 05:34 AM
Do you really wonder why the windows 8 project developer was canned 30 days after the introduction?

Canned or caned as in punishment?

Hans

GemBoy
03-14-2013, 11:11 AM
Its bit complicates to handle the settings and I am getting irate with the pop up messages. I prefer windows 7 than windows 8.

mrwho
03-14-2013, 12:55 PM
And apparently it's not selling like hot cakes either... (http://www.zdnet.com/five-ways-to-save-windows-8-7000012369/)

Good riddance!

blackcat4866
03-15-2013, 02:06 AM
Thanks for this thread mrwho. I came across my first Win8 OS the other day with a Kyocera MFP. The little shortcut I found was to go to My Computer > right-click to Properties. If you look at the address line you can get to the Control Panel screen, and the rest is familiar.

I also found that the setup.exe autorun driver will not do a proper install on WIN8. If it does install at all, the resulting driver does not print. In the Printers screen I used the Add-A-Printer wizard to install an XPS driver, like a breeze. I did notice that the XPS driver does not have Job Accounting functions. To get Job Accounting, I installed an additional KX driver, then switched drivers to KX.

The XPS driver is very easy to install but doesn't have much in the way of advanced features. Again, thanks for the timely topic. I was prepared.
=^..^=

JR2ALTA
03-15-2013, 03:10 AM
how do you delete a post.

sorry for the hiccup here on your thread.

JR2ALTA
03-15-2013, 03:24 AM
delete

ZOOTECH
03-15-2013, 04:30 AM
delete

Didn't work!!! :cool: or did it?

SalesServiceGuy
03-15-2013, 05:15 AM
Win 8 is not going away. I have made some cheat notes on my Blackberry to help me navigate this O/S as I have only Win 7 Pro at the office.

In the MFP business, you have to be prepared to learn all of the time. Regardless of age or position.

Custom Search