PDA

View Full Version : BH 161F purchase

Custom Search

Desert Rat
01-28-2013, 09:14 PM
I am considering buying this model for a customer in a low use office. He sez he mostly needs the fax feature
as his canon ink jet is asking for a set of inks before it will work.
My cost would be $100.00. I'm told this machine is in very good condition. This person was servicing
this unit until his customer upgraded their computer system and this piece of equipment got left behind.
I guess I will need to know what system my customer is using. I will call and find out.
Are there any issues with this model I should know about?

Thanks

DR

JR2ALTA
01-28-2013, 10:26 PM
it's a total piece of poop.

Rudi
01-29-2013, 04:54 PM
Only if you dont want repeat business you should sell it to him.

JR2ALTA
01-29-2013, 05:52 PM
they didn't just leave it behind because their computers were updated.

it's a flimsy, fragile overcomplicated pos. techs hate it, customers hate it

EarthKmTech
01-29-2013, 10:43 PM
fusing unit life is 50k, if its in "good condition" it should have well under that as the total count, im thinking 10k. To change the fuser is quite a big job for such a small machine and they are not cheap.

Drum unit drum must not looks like a rasp - a worn drum unit will destroy the fusing unit, new or otherwise. Toner build up in the fusing unit will cause paper jams and destroy the fusing unit. When this symptom is experienced, drum and fusing unit should be checked and replaced as required. (worth more than the machine)

CCD flourecent lamp blows after a couple of years - especially on default lamp timeout setting of 4 hours - I set power save to 30 minutes and the ccd lamp to go off with powersave. (not default setting) CCD module costs more than the machine is worth.

printer output tray lugs snap off and are quite fragile.

ADF takeup roller assembly friction disk degrades and takeup rollers do not drop to pickup the paper and spin in mid air.
ADF separation pad rubber deteriorates and goes hard, resulting in multifeeding even when pad looks as new - this is time based deterioration not usage.
ADF cannot be relied apon to scan originals straight without skew, its more a fluke if does.

Printer paper takeup mechanism can have issues with the takeup actuator sticking causing incorrect paper size messages - although I've only had it once in 7 years. Takeup assembly may multifeed even if new depending on paper used - should always be fanned before loading.

These are some of the issues I have had - though most of them, when sold to the correct environment go their entire life with 1 or 2 calls. It is a VERY light duty machine, and despite what the specs say, i would suggest a total life expectancy of under 50k before it becomes labor intensive.

Desert Rat
01-31-2013, 03:19 AM
EarthKmTech,
That is what I needed to hear. I have never worked on one and a couple buddies say they think its a great
little machine. But it is like you say for very low use environment. And that is exactly what I have. A home
office. My customer has an HP ink jet all in one and he uses it mostly to receive faxes.
I think I'll just look around for a fax.
I'm not familiar with the desk top machines so I have to ask.

Thanks EarthKmTech

DR

CompyTech
01-31-2013, 10:14 PM
I would stay away from that machine too. And I found it is not fully compatiable with windows 7. It goes where it belongs.. In the trash.

Desert Rat
02-03-2013, 07:27 PM
I think that is what I will do. I don't need another headache.

DR

Custom Search