PDA

View Full Version : Bizhub C253 SMB Scanning Problem (Login Error)

Custom Search

Hacky
02-20-2013, 11:01 AM
Greetings everyone,

I'm currently in the process of attempting to setup scanning from our C253 via SMB. According to the guide I have followed for the setup I appear to have correctly done everything that was required. BUT as expected things are not working as they should.

So I get to the point where on the copier I have the SMB scan button which I have created, I press it, the document goes through and then I get the message 'Login Error'.

So from this information I would assume that there is a problem with the login credentials somewhere. In the online copier configuration, under the 'Store Adresses' tab, I have filled in all of the required box's, and importantly my username and password are definitely correct. So where is this supposed 'Login Error'?

I've also checked that the scan destination folder is fully accessible, and everybody has the permissions to read and write, do just about anything to the folder, so I would imagine the problem is not there.

I may be missing something very obvious, but I can't work it out which is why one of you lucky people get to help me :D

peter42
02-20-2013, 12:17 PM
Hello Hacky,

have a look at:
http://www.copytechnet.com/forums/konica-minolta/43436-bizhub-350-scan-issues-4.html#post342928

greetings peter

JR2ALTA
02-20-2013, 12:24 PM
Im not IT so when I see this issue I just create a new user called Konica and those new credentials usually work and the customer rarely is bothered by it.

kingarthur
02-20-2013, 12:38 PM
i could be wrong....but when scanning to SMB, i think you have to program in the user name/login id of the pc/server where the scan folder is situated...

Darren King
02-20-2013, 01:20 PM
i could be wrong....but when scanning to SMB, i think you have to program in the user name/login id of the pc/server where the scan folder is situated...

kingarthur is correct. You have to input the user name and password of the computer you are scanning to. And it is case sensitive.

Hacky
02-21-2013, 08:59 AM

kingarthur is correct. You have to input the user name and password of the computer you are scanning to. And it is case sensitive.

Appreciate the responses guys.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear enough, my mistake. But in the online configuration I said I have definitely entered the correct username and password. I am well aware that these credentials are obviously for the computer where the scan destination folder is located.

This is why I am having problems, because I know the details are correct, yet when I put a scan through, I still receive the 'Login Error' message..

This isn't a major problem because by choice I will always use FTP as it tends to be a breeze getting it to work, but it would be nice to be able to help out the few clients I have that require SMB scanning.

Anybody else? :confused:

snbeng
02-21-2013, 09:17 AM
I would try using an IP address instead of the computers hostname.

Failing that, I would be looking to turn off any firewall or virus software that might be blocking access.

Out of interest, whats the operating system? The machine may require a firmware update.

Hacky
02-21-2013, 09:33 AM
I would try using an IP address instead of the computers hostname.

Failing that, I would be looking to turn off any firewall or virus software that might be blocking access.

Out of interest, whats the operating system? The machine may require a firmware update.

I'm already using the IP address rather than the hostname.

I can't see that it could be anything to do with a firewall or virus software, as it appears to be making the connection to the server without any problem. It's only when it gets to a certain point it seems it's having trouble getting through because of a 'Login Error'.

I only say this, as usually if there is a problem network wise, the scan usually won't even go through the DF, but in this case it goes through no problem, waits a second, and just as I think it is about to work it fails!

The PC i'm using is running Windows XP Professional. The copier firmware is running -21, which I have just been informed is ancient! I'm going to go straight for a firmware update, see where that gets me.

Thanks!

snbeng
02-21-2013, 09:41 AM
I'm already using the IP address rather than the hostname.

I can't see that it could be anything to do with a firewall or virus software, as it appears to be making the connection to the server without any problem. It's only when it gets to a certain point it seems it's having trouble getting through because of a 'Login Error'.

I only say this, as usually if there is a problem network wise, the scan usually won't even go through the DF, but in this case it goes through no problem, waits a second, and just as I think it is about to work it fails!

The PC i'm using is running Windows XP Professional. The copier firmware is running -21, which I have just been informed is ancient! I'm going to go straight for a firmware update, see where that gets me.

Thanks!

I suppose you could try setting up scan to folder on another computer? As you are a tech, you could hook your laptop up and test?

Keep us posted on the firmware update.

morpk
02-21-2013, 10:29 AM
<rant>OMG Read the POST it's login error stop saying to change IP address's if that was the case he would be getting server connection error </rant>

now the user you created is this a domain user or a local user?

if it is a local user first thing i would do is remove the domain name suffix from the network settings e.g

login as admin- networking settings 3/4 down the page domain name suffix your "domain.local"

sometime this causes a login error because it is adding the suffix to the local username scan_user@yourdomain.local (witch isn't a valid user)

snbeng
02-21-2013, 10:34 AM
<rant>OMG Read the POST it's login error stop saying to change IP address's if that was the case he would be getting server connection error </rant>

if it is a local user first thing i would do is remove the domain name suffix from the network settings e.g

login as admin- networking settings 3/4 down the page domain name suffix your "domain.local"

sometime this causes a login error because it is adding the suffix to the local username scan_user@yourdomain.local (witch isn't a valid user)

good rant, i am well aware of the original fault dickhead

Hacky
02-26-2013, 09:10 AM

Just for the record I managed to carry out the firmware upgrade, unfortunately as expected it didn't fix the problem!

@morpk - Apologies if I'm being stupid but I assume the settings your talking about are on the copier itself? I can get into admin/network settings no problem but once I'm there I am at a loss with finding what I'm meant to be looking for... Which tab within network settings should I be looking for?

Thanksssssssssssssss!

Saghir377
02-26-2013, 10:40 AM
Dear smb makes problem where thay using DNS servers if you have only one net work without DNS server then it will work normly.
Its better to use FTP scaning its very easy and same like smb but free from Login name & PW.If you have DNS servers in your office then best then scan to Email.Its some what hard but at the end no issue.

Saghir377
02-26-2013, 11:21 AM
Dear best then all is Take your laptop with you use cross cable make a network betwin your laptop and C253 Check one by one every sitting i think you will found the problem.Again its better to use FTP.

mo0651
02-26-2013, 02:22 PM
We had a c253 that only with 1 computer it gave us scanning errors. Enable the Dynamic dns setting in the network tab.

TheOwl
02-26-2013, 10:08 PM
If you are trying to scan to a Windows Vista and up PC, then the issue is with the NTLM version.

1. Administrator Settings
2. Network Settings
3. SMB Settings
4. Client Settings
5. NTLM v1/2

Windows Vista and onward as well as Active Directory from 2003 Server on uses NTLM v2 while Windows 2000 and XP uses NTLM v1.

Because you are getting a login error, the machine is seeing the share with an issue, it just doesn't have permission to login and push the file accross.

Hacky
02-27-2013, 11:39 AM
If you are trying to scan to a Windows Vista and up PC, then the issue is with the NTLM version.

2. Network Settings
3. SMB Settings
4. Client Settings
5. NTLM v1/2

Windows Vista and onward as well as Active Directory from 2003 Server on uses NTLM v2 while Windows 2000 and XP uses NTLM v1.

Because you are getting a login error, the machine is seeing the share with an issue, it just doesn't have permission to login and push the file accross.

The destination PC is actually running XP, I did check the NTLM settings and it is set to NTLM v1.

A fellow colleague of mine wirelessly scanned via SMB to his XP laptop and it actually worked ..

This has lead me to even more confusion, I am sincerely lost now :confused:

kingarthur
02-27-2013, 11:46 AM
good rant, i am well aware of the original fault dickhead

don't think there's any need for this at all....

Hacky
02-27-2013, 11:57 AM
don't think there's any need for this at all....

It seems the topic of SMB scanning gets people real heated...

kingarthur
02-27-2013, 12:11 PM
It seems the topic of SMB scanning gets people real heated...

I agree, but at the end of the day, we're all trying to help each other....but comments like that wont help...and i will certainly not help people with attitudes like that in the future.....btw have you got a copy of the KM scanning guide

Hacky
02-27-2013, 12:25 PM
I agree, but at the end of the day, we're all trying to help each other....but comments like that wont help...and i will certainly not help people with attitudes like that in the future.....btw have you got a copy of the KM scanning guide

You couldn't be anymore right, I totally agree. But that's up to them, if they want to insult each other i'll just sit back and laugh it off.

Back to the point though.. I do have the guide, I followed it word for word several times. The last step of my guide says if it doesn't work, create a new user for SMB scanning on the PC. I don't want to do that though, that is of no help to anybody. I want to get to the route of the problem, not simply avoid it.

But I admit it is starting to frustrate me now!

kingarthur
02-27-2013, 12:51 PM
the only thing i can think of, sorry if this sounds condescending, maybe it's the wrong IP address you've inputted,it's happened to me before...you can convince yourself that all is correct & it's not , try setting the folder up on another PC & enter the IP from that, or try the username instead, i dont know much about SMB set up, just what i've read, normally set up to email....

Gort
02-28-2013, 07:30 AM
Shared folder problem???

Greetings everyone,

I've also checked that the scan destination folder is fully accessible, and everybody has the permissions to read and write, do just about anything to the folder, so I would imagine the problem is not there.

I may be missing something very obvious, but I can't work it out which is why one of you lucky people get to help me :D

The term "Everyone" in file sharing is misleading. I have found that on Windows XP SP3 it is best to add the specific scan user to the list of users that have Read and Full Control permissions.

1. Turn off Simple File Sharing if it is on.
From the folder: Click Tools > Folder Options > View (Tab) > uncheck the circle at Use Simple File Sharing at the bottom of the advanced settings list.
Go back to the shared folder: Properties > Sharing > Permissions and add the user to the list with Full Control permissions.

2. Delete the Address Book entry that you have created and make a new one
I have found that changes to one touch entries can cause problems. Sometimes changes get stuck in memory and/or the cache of your web browser can be wrong. Monday I had a problem logging in with a C224 on a Win 7 workstation. once I had the correct information I still had a log-in error. Delete the button I had modified several times and make a new one and it worked.

Hacky
02-28-2013, 03:51 PM

2. Network Settings
3. SMB Settings
4. Client Settings
5. NTLM v1/2

@The Owl, you sir are a hero!

After checking what you said, the copier was set to NTLM v2. I was trying to scan to an XP machine so I changed it back to NTLM v1 as instructed by you.

The scan has now gone through without error so thank you very very much. This was beginning to drive me mad before now!

Thank you to everyone for your input on this thread, it is much appreciated!

TheOwl
02-28-2013, 10:06 PM
Glad you got it resolved.

Something you might want to look at in the future is to set all machines to NTLM v1/v2 so that the machine will work with both systems as well as accommodate for those customers looking to transition to a new OS in the very near future.

We set the NTLM version to v1/v2 out of the box on run up as we also used to run into the issue quite a lot.

Custom Search