PDA

View Full Version : Minolta EP 4000

Custom Search

copyman
02-23-2013, 11:13 PM
I know it is old. Customer uses it as back up. Only 60k clicks.

Machine powers up and comes to ready.Print button has green light. But nothing works on panel. I figured it was a stuck button so I replace the whole Op panel. Same thing.
Also initilized the machine.
Nothing worked.
Anyone remember back that far :)
TIA

EarthKmTech
02-23-2013, 11:46 PM
It's not asking for a drum or some other pm part is it ?

I know the old analogs lock out when the life is reached on certain parts, but usually some kind of warning will be on screen.

are any of the buttons responsive at all ? are you able to get into service mode and see the counters ?

copyman
02-24-2013, 12:55 AM
No messages on display. No response from any buttons so can't get into service mode.

I was thinking the same thing about consumabls locking up machine. Back when I use to work on a lot of the older analogs I seem to recall machine locking up because of waste toner being full or the switch out of place. Not sure if it was this model but will check it out when I go back.

Any other ideas?

Thanks for the help

krm
02-24-2013, 01:38 AM
No messages on display. No response from any buttons so can't get into service mode.

I was thinking the same thing about consumabls locking up machine. Back when I use to work on a lot of the older analogs I seem to recall machine locking up because of waste toner being full or the switch out of place. Not sure if it was this model but will check it out when I go back.

Any other ideas?

Thanks for the help
I think that machines recycles toner. reset ram pack if it has one. Start disconnecting adf, sorter, etc to eliminate them.Are there reset pins on the machine? I seem to remember a little cover in front with reset and pins to short. If so, turn off and create short on pins. Turn on and wait 10 seconds. Should give a reset bottom on machine. I'm working from memory, so apologize if I'm off.

EarthKmTech
02-24-2013, 02:31 AM
i wouldnt think analog machines have a use for ram, though there might be some other non volatile storage device on there for storing meter counts and other settings.

if the machines just locked up solid maybe the main board, what ever its called in an analog machine has failed.

copyman
02-24-2013, 02:34 AM
Thanks krm & Earth KM for the reply,

krm,
As I said in my original post I already initilized the machine and it didn't work. This machine does use a waste box located in cabinet on rear side. It is literally a cardboard box with plastic liner. I remember they came flat and you would have to make the box before replacing full one. Anyway It is a shot in the dark but I will check it out.

Earth KM,
I was thinking same thing about the ram but then I remembered K/M's analogs would do some crazy things with loose ram. It was a big problem coming loose especially in the EP6000. Worth a shot.

JustManuals
02-24-2013, 04:00 AM
This Parts & Service manual can now be purchased for $12.77 and downloaded immediately after payment from:

Just Manuals, The Internet's largest selection of manuals ~ Instant Downloads (http://www.justmanuals.com)

Paul@justmanuals.com

blackcat4866
02-24-2013, 03:45 PM
i wouldnt think analog machines have a use for ram, though there might be some other non volatile storage device on there for storing meter counts and other settings.

if the machines just locked up solid maybe the main board, what ever its called in an analog machine has failed.

I don't know about this Minolta specifically, but the Mita and Canon analogs I worked on used an EEPROM to store machine data, that was powered by a 3.6vdc lithium battery mounted on the main board. It was extremely common for these batteries to go dead somewhere around the 7 year mark (or sooner if unplugged for long periods of time). Machine settings would revert to "0" (of 255), or if you were very lucky to machine defaults.

Diagnosis was easy. Remove the back cover. Find the battery, clip your meter leads to it, set to the appropriate DC range, then turn Off and unplug the machine. The battery charges off of the 5.0vdc logic line, so it's 5.1vdc plugged in. And it's normal for that voltage to settle somewhere around 3.6vdc after about a minute. On a failing battery that voltage will continue to drop. Memory dumps around 2.5vdc. The worst ones dropped to 0.00vdc within 10 seconds of pulling the plug.

Changing the battery is easy enough. The only difficult part is not overheating the battery with the soldering iron. Just read the specs right off the old battery, and buy something similar. Does that help? =^..^=

EDIT: Having given this some thought, I seriously doubt that the EEPROM or backup pattery could produce this affect. If the machine powers up but op panel remains unresponsive, I would recheck all electrical connections, especially ribbon cables, then consider either the main PWB or power supply.

It's a simple test: check to see if 5/12/24vdc are present where they should be on the op panel. If yes: main PWB. If no: PS. I'll put my dollar on the PS (or connections). =^..^=

krm
02-24-2013, 06:23 PM
I don't know about this Minolta specifically, but the Mita and Canon analogs I worked on used an EEPROM to store machine data, that was powered by a 3.6vdc lithium battery mounted on the main board. It was extremely common for these batteries to go dead somewhere around the 7 year mark (or sooner if unplugged for long periods of time). Machine settings would revert to "0" (of 255), or if you were very lucky to machine defaults.

Diagnosis was easy. Remove the back cover. Find the battery, clip your meter leads to it, set to the appropriate DC range, then turn Off and unplug the machine. The battery charges off of the 5.0vdc logic line, so it's 5.1vdc plugged in. And it's normal for that voltage to settle somewhere around 3.6vdc after about a minute. On a failing battery that voltage will continue to drop. Memory dumps around 2.5vdc. The worst ones dropped to 0.00vdc within 10 seconds of pulling the plug.

Changing the battery is easy enough. The only difficult part is not overheating the battery with the soldering iron. Just read the specs right off the old battery, and buy something similar. Does that help? =^..^=

EDIT: Having given this some thought, I seriously doubt that the EEPROM or backup pattery could produce this affect. If the machine powers up but op panel remains unresponsive, I would recheck all electrical connections, especially ribbon cables, then consider either the main PWB or power supply.

It's a simple test: check to see if 5/12/24vdc are present where they should be on the op panel. If yes: main PWB. If no: PS. I'll put my dollar on the PS (or connections). =^..^=

I think you are on track with the waste box. Sorry, can't keep all these old models straight. I remember if the waste box is not sitting correctly against it's sensor you will get these types of issues.

Hansoon
02-24-2013, 07:38 PM
If the waste toner box is not properly set or the cabinet is not hooked up well, the machine would show a message "close cover" without indicating graphically in the display which cover. Very confusing.

Hans

Gian Carlo
02-26-2013, 07:24 AM
Maybe a stuck up button keys in the ops panel.

Gian Carlo
02-26-2013, 07:39 AM
Apology to the prev post, you did mention replacing ops panel. does the scanner move and fusing and developing unit cycling after powering up? If no its power supply.

Custom Search