PDA

View Full Version : Newbie security question about copying sensitive info on a rented machine

Custom Search

GoForthAndMultiply
03-14-2013, 05:28 AM
Hi :),
Where ever possible I try to keep abreast of any security implications that might arise from new pieces of tech in my workplace. We recently got a Konica minolta bizhub c220 (it is rented due to cost). HR have taken to photocopying things like doctors reports when people have gone on sick leave for their files.
Being that this machine is rented is there any risk to peoples personal information ie is such a machine capable of retaining saved versions of documents that have been copied? Could this be an issue with it being a rented machine?
Sorry if this is a stupid question I just dont have any real understanding of what type of memory such photocopying machines utilize? and I see from Konica's online manual that there are things like an "image log" that can be turned on to monitor usage. A penny for your thoughts ??
Thanks

Jerry

BennyAU
03-14-2013, 06:10 AM
as with any normal PC, or any other device, such as your copier, that uses HDD storage, it will technically still have your files on the HDD (PC will keep them there until they are overwritten, pretty sure the MFP works the same way)

the new bizhub machines have a setting called "Overwrite all data"
it has 8 modes, each with different methods over overwriting the data on the MFP's HDD

I suggest you speak to the service rep's about running this function on the machine when the rental ends, preferably before its removed from site, if data security is as important to you as it sounds

all the best.

MAD0RAM
03-14-2013, 10:40 AM
Direct from Minolta.

Darren King
03-14-2013, 01:56 PM
As far as I know, just making a copy doesn't pose any risk. You would have to STORE the document to the HDD to create a potential security risk.

emujo
03-14-2013, 02:13 PM
Any print jobs sent to the HDD and via secure print/follow me printing are the only ones that should concern you..any other print info is in RAM and will be gone when power is cycled..Follow Benny's advice and ensure the HDD is wiped using the built in software before it's removed, and get a copy of the workorder showing the procedure was accomplished...If any HIPPA regulated info does get into the wrong hands it will be more of a problem to your company than to the dealer without this bit of CYA paperwork. Another thing you might consider if you rent a KM product again is to ask that Bizhub Secure be turned on and have all options set to delete after 1-2 days...You can feel pretty secure with this in place. Emujo

GoForthAndMultiply
03-15-2013, 04:06 AM
Thank you very much for your responses :).
A data overwrite by them on site before it goes back and some CYA paperwork before it goes back sound like sensible precautions. I wont tell all my coleagues however in case it prompts some of them to think they can photocopy their butts at the next office party. A few of them look the type, I can only imagine the type of repair jobs that can lead to lol :o.

Thanks again for your help.

Jerry

fixthecopier
03-15-2013, 11:38 AM
I wont tell all my coleagues however in case it prompts some of them to think they can photocopy their butts at the next office party. A few of them look the type, I can only imagine the type of repair jobs that can lead to lol :o.

Thanks again for your help.

Jerry

As a Konica tech with experience in that area, I can tell you that the thin glass will not support anybody's bis ass. If a butt must be photocopied, the copier must be used like a dirty toilet seat in a public restroom. You must hover your butt, and never press.

EarthKmTech
03-15-2013, 03:18 PM
after Christmas office party time in the new year you generally get the calls coming in, "broken scanner glass, someone tried to photocopy their butt"

This year there were at least 3 such calls, i also went to 1 machine with cranberry sauce in the document feeder, another with a mashed plumb in the document feeder, and another with coke through the right hand side door of a c20.

vincent64
03-15-2013, 03:41 PM
after Christmas office party time in the new year you generally get the calls coming in, "broken scanner glass, someone tried to photocopy their butt"

This year there were at least 3 such calls, i also went to 1 machine with cranberry sauce in the document feeder, another with a mashed plumb in the document feeder, and another with coke through the right hand side door of a c20.

I've been doing this over 13 years now, pushing 14, and have yet to see this, we must have different style of office parties down south then in other parts of the USA or the world.

brent
03-15-2013, 11:22 PM
lets just say in real life. it is not like the movies and copied butt cheeks or other parts are not very desireable to look at. and yes copier glass does get broken. I have seen it a few times in my tenyear

brent

ZOOTECH
03-15-2013, 11:40 PM
d...If any HIPPA regulated info does get into the wrong hands it will be more of a problem to your company than to the dealer without this bit of CYA paperwork. Emujo

FYI, emujo, it is HIPAA:

The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) Privacy and Security Rules

it's frequently misused. :cool:

EarthKmTech
03-15-2013, 11:44 PM
I've been doing this over 13 years now, pushing 14, and have yet to see this, we must have different style of office parties down south then in other parts of the USA or the world.

I'm not going to mention any names, but the customers that are guilty of this practice aren't exactly known for their high level of intelligence.

blackcat4866
03-16-2013, 03:49 PM
I've seen plenty of broken copyboard glass, the worst of which was in a lunchroom. I guess they thought the copier might make a good chair. Three replacements, all billable. Also at the maximum security prison. My concern was happening to meet up with the inmate with the 11" long shard of glass up his sleeve.

I'm sure most of us have found various objects, not intended for feeding through a copier, like a Milky Way Candy Bar, brown paper lunch bags, letter openers, catsup packets, rodents, dried corn (specially delivered by a group of fleet footed rodents), paper clips and staples, and extra-crispy breading from fried chicken eaten over the fax machine (it was at the lunch table). Don't forget water ... 1000's of gallons of water, usually fatal.

=^..^=

Custom Search