PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous KM C8000 - Do you get glossy printouts on 100# coated text?

Custom Search

Glenn
03-20-2013, 03:09 AM
Hi,
Our company is looking into a KM C8000 but we noticed during test runs that the level of gloss of the printing on 100# text coated and 80# text coated is not good.
The prints look rather dull and flat.
If the same artwork is printed on the same machine, same settings, on 12pt C2S, we got a decent level of gloss.

The way in which we've been testing is by using artwork that has strong and large black single-color areas.

What do I compare these 'dull" prints to?
1 - Comparing to what you get on a C6500 (great gloss levels)
2 - Compare to what offset printing provides (for the same piece).

Question 1: Is this lack of gloss output something that you've experienced or are experiencing?
Question 2: Is there any way to get the glossy output?

I do really appreciate whatever input you have regarding this topic.
(an older post talked about some defective fusers, but I don't believe that that would still be an issue at this point)

Thanks!

Texers
03-20-2013, 08:38 PM
What do I compare these 'dull" prints to?
1 - Comparing to what you get on a C6500 (great gloss levels)
2 - Compare to what offset printing provides (for the same piece).[QUOTE]

1 - as far as I know C6500 - unless u print on gloss paper - I never seen gloss output o this machine.. Actually I would say it has a quite flat finish.
Now it depends what these dull prints mean to you.. Maybe the colour management is wrong.. and u get dull colours (prints).
2 - usually what my customers are saying about c8000 is that the output on thin paper (up to 160gsm) is very close to offset printing.

[QUOTE]Question 1: Is this lack of gloss output something that you've experienced or are experiencing?

again my customers actually like the lack of gloss or the matt finish as is close to their press. So I can't really answer to this.

Question 2: Is there any way to get the glossy output?
I'd say go for a 160+ gsm as from there the second fusing unit kicks in and makes the output more glossy. Or, if u can't use 160+ gsm, try some glossy thinner paper.

hope this helps.

methogod
03-21-2013, 11:36 AM
C6501 and C7000 has a glossy setting in the print driver, think it reduces the temp slightly and adjusts a few other things, that make it more glossy.

When we print default is GLOSSY OFF, but do turn it on a card stock post card and some other prints that will look better not looking flat.

unless you can keep that C8000 running 2 shifts a day, its a very expensive piece of machinery.

If you wait a few months the C7001s are coming out, and the boxes will be all over the place for next to nothing.

Custom Search