PDA

View Full Version : PSES software and database migration woes

Custom Search

mrwho
04-09-2013, 09:03 AM
I'm moving a Pagescope Enterprise from one machine to another, but the new machine isn't accepting the backups I made on the previous machine (even backups made weekly during the time the software was running). It tells me it can't find the application's (netcare, device info, account manager) information on the database I'm trying to import.

I took special care to install the exact same version I had on the other machine to prevent this kind of thing.

Any clues?

szanka
04-09-2013, 08:49 PM
Not sure what you're trying to do. PSES is a service installed on a server.

mrwho
04-09-2013, 09:51 PM
Not sure what you're trying to do. PSES is a service installed on a server.

Move Pagescope from one server to another - when restoring a database from the previous machine (using Pagescope's Admin Console) it fails.

emujo
03-13-2014, 08:56 PM
Not sure if you ever resolved this, but I'm going through the same nightmare...Customer has ver 2.0 managing there older C380 series. We replaced with a fleet of "e" series and the battle started. Now I've got a 2003 server I can't upgrade (they never bought the M&S licenses), and a 2008 R2 that wont connect to the KMBS license server to even get the trial licenses to get started. Here's how its supposed to work;

Add maintenance renewal keys, add maintenance extension keys, upgrade from 2.0 to 2.3, then to 3.0. Next, delete licenses from old server, install 3.005 on new server, license and configure. Here's what's happening;

Authentication Module can be upgraded, but Account manger refuses the new keys. Authentication Manager can be deleted, but Account manager thinks 3 MFPs (they been gone for 6 months) are still being managed, even though nothing shows up under target devices, just shows 3 of 5 licenses being used and unless you can unmanange the MFPs you can't delete the module.

Support tells me that the issue comes from the fact that M&S was expired for over 1 year, and the License server just doesn't care about the old license keys anymore. The new R2 server won't connect to the license server because there is a root certificate error (something to do with RSA 1048 ver 3). Nowhere in the supporting document is this requirement written down...Net FrameWork 4.0, 2.0 SQL express or higher, ILS installed and configured correctly and so on. I have no idea as to how to get an 2008 R2 server to pull down these root certificates and I'm not going to crash a server trying...if you had any success with this, please let me know. EMujo

TheOwl
03-13-2014, 10:57 PM
Have you got any screen shots of what is happening?

I recently went through the horror that Konica Minolta call "licencing" for PSES as I wanted to migrate a customer from v2.3 to v3.0 and then v3.1. Their maintenance had expired as well and we had to apply new maintenance licences, then maintence extension licences before we could upgrade.

This is installed on Windows Server 2012 along with using a SQL 2012 Cluster for the database. When we initially had issues, we created another VM and re-installed PSES v3.1 on that and simply pointed it to the existing database that was held in the cluster.

At no time did we ever see errors regarding Root CA while we moved licences, but I would say that there could be a chance that the customers server is running Enhanced Internet Security which is a standard feature of Server 2008 onwards.

You can try turning this off for Administrators and Users by going to the Server Manager, clicking on the server and then selecting "Configure IE ESC" on the right hand side. Making changes to this will not effect anything else on the server other than how Internet Explorer handles normal web surfing.

mrwho
03-14-2014, 02:07 PM
If I remember correctly, we finally found a way: ditch the entire backup and start from scratch. Remember it was the exact same version and still we had problems. I believe the backup/restore options are akin to having a fire escape on a buildinjg leading to a brick wall - completely worthless.

Did I mention I hate this software? It's more painful than going to the dentist and ask him to take out all your teeth at once without any sedative.

TheOwl
03-16-2014, 12:25 AM
Did I mention I hate this software? It's more painful than going to the dentist and ask him to take out all your teeth at once without any sedative.

This is exactly why we move to PaperCut MF. PaperCut's licencing is easier to understand, the support is fantastic, we can integrate with other manufacturers other than Konica Minolta and it isn't PSES.

Custom Search