PDA

View Full Version : C253 Ratched noise

Custom Search

habik
04-09-2013, 02:28 PM
Just want to post that in case you get a really heavy ratchet noise coming out of your c203_253_353 it is most likely caused by a compacted toner in toner hopper, the actuall auger mechanism gets so packed up that you have only 2 options.

1, Get a thin spring stretch it out with no hook at the end try and dissolve any hardened bits in the hopper, be carefull though NOT to damage the toner hopper spring mechanism. Just continue shifting the spring wire along the auger inside to the end and back few times.

now my case:)

2, FULL disassembly of the machine. Made a little video with description.. please ignore and leave out the Laser LED erase lamp comments :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeTjSW-Styk

habik
04-09-2013, 02:28 PM
Just want to post that in case you get a really heavy ratchet noise coming out of your c203_253_353 it is most likely caused by a compacted toner in toner hopper, the actuall auger mechanism gets so packed up that you have only 2 options.

1, Get a thin spring stretch it out with no hook at the end try and dissolve any hardened bits in the hopper, be carefull though NOT to damage the toner hopper spring mechanism. Just continue shifting the spring wire along the auger inside to the end and back few times.

now my case:)

2, FULL disassembly of the machine. Made a little video with description.. please ignore and leave out the Laser LED erase lamp comments :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeTjSW-Styk

The actual problem Cyan Hopper auger mechanism.

habik
04-09-2013, 02:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9FNwmMhxZ4

blackcat4866
04-10-2013, 02:26 AM
Nice video habik. Can you include the 3 hours that got you to that point of disassembly, then the 3 hours of reassembly?

Just kidding. It looks like a nasty job. =^..^=

Hansoon
04-10-2013, 03:27 AM
Like to know what is causing this? Humidity or is developer coming into the waste toner chute?
Is it OEM toner?

Hans

SmellsHot
04-10-2013, 12:56 PM
I had this happen last year....What a nightmare. I kept thinking that there has to be an easier way to get to the auger system. geezee what a nightmare....
Good video!

habik
04-10-2013, 01:30 PM
Nice video habik. Can you include the 3 hours that got you to that point of disassembly, then the 3 hours of reassembly?

Just kidding. It looks like a nasty job. =^..^=

Without kidding is more than 3hrs...If you know as I know now what to take out then maybe you can do it in 4hrs.

As I did not know, I was almost taking out the Laser ass'y in whole, when I realized that some chasis parts are coming out..I said to my self STOP! and tried again alternative routes.

Was thinking of doing time laps on re-assembly :) that could be fun.

habik
04-10-2013, 01:43 PM
Like to know what is causing this? Humidity or is developer coming into the waste toner chute?
Is it OEM toner?

Hans

Humidity is for sure a factor to take into account.

Initially I thought it was waste auger blocked and stopping GEAR - 18/30T(ref.9) in Feed/Transport Drive Section to turn and not meshing and causing the ratchet noise problem. That however wasn't the case. I had to go all the way up to toner hoppers.

Really though to say, all I can think of is toner cartridge not shaken properly.

OR

My theory is that the IU was getting clogged (starved IU if toner sensor failed) and it builds up all the way to the top and as the auger is the only bit where there is direct pressure and compactness can be created that is how it all happened.

We use OEM on colours!

I am thinking to make a tool that would not mess the hopper spring mechanism that suppose to break the toner before it goes to the auger bit. and yet it would be flexible to go around the auger screw.

avecosat
04-10-2013, 03:32 PM
Is the second option I had the same problem and only cleaned the toner hoper and changed the two gears , when start the machine the noise was out but it coming to replace the toner again into the cyan IU until the the toner hoper and the IU was clogged again and the noise back . I cleaned again and changed the IU cyan and the problem dissapear for more of two months

PeterG
04-12-2013, 07:11 AM
You know. After looking at that video I sometimes wonder how the hell we manage to do our jobs.
Often I have taken a copier down to that sort of level & wondered how the hell I am ever going to get it back together again. Somehow or other I always manage.
If only other people appreciated our ability.

MAD0RAM
04-12-2013, 10:27 AM
You know. After looking at that video I sometimes wonder how the hell we manage to do our jobs.
Often I have taken a copier down to that sort of level & wondered how the hell I am ever going to get it back together again. Somehow or other I always manage.
If only other people appreciated our ability.

How many times have you got it most of the way back together, Looked down and saw a piece that needed to go in earlier.

Been there, Just chuckle at myself and start removing parts.

Vy2
07-19-2013, 03:44 AM
I had this happen last year....What a nightmare. I kept thinking that there has to be an easier way to get to the auger system. geezee what a nightmare.... Good video! Is it something that is doable? I had a reply on a different thread saying that it's not doable...i'm facing this same problem right now :|

PeterG
07-19-2013, 04:34 AM
If a man built it, a man can repair it!

Is it cost effective? That is another thing.

habik
07-19-2013, 07:47 AM
If a man built it, a man can repair it!

Is it cost effective? That is another thing.

That is true!

I think my second machine which I am facing to do now is going to be slightly faster repaired :)

I think of timelapse with some clock on the wall and a cool-box full of beer next to it, as London turned tropical this week.

EarthKmTech
07-19-2013, 09:58 AM
for what these old machines are worth, this fault I now consider terminal on a contracted machine.

Its easier to grab a returned machine in line for the crusher and give it a second life.

If its pay as you go, a quote for 24 hours labour will sort it out.

Vy2
07-19-2013, 01:04 PM
for what these old machines are worth, this fault I now consider terminal on a contracted machine. Its easier to grab a returned machine in line for the crusher and give it a second life. If its pay as you go, a quote for 24 hours labour will sort it out. For my case, it's probably worth it. I am servicing my own machine and I can't afford a different machine right now.

Custom Search