PDA

View Full Version : C654 / DF702 trouble detecting paper size in adf

Custom Search

wseyller
05-15-2013, 01:26 AM
Copier only has 40k on it. But there has been previous issues with this copier because it was placed on a floor directly above an indoor pool and the chlorine rusted areas in the machine. When inserting letter size paper into doc feeder in either orientation it complains of no matching paper size and indicated that it detected A4 size. Also tried 11x17 and it also says no matching paper size but does not indicate any particular size detected. I have letter and 11x17 with plain paper type in the trays. Rebooting copier does not help. I went into service mode/adf/sensor check and watched the tray width size measurement and also check the length sensors. Length sensor show ok. With tray guides at max it is 1022mm. As I move the tray in the number would not change but eventually it will start lowering as I get closer to the min width. Sometimes is does change right away unlike as explained before. I have seen sometimes when I get close to the min (around 600mm) it will start to go up in value around 800 to 900mm. I have seen it sitting still and constantly fluctuate approx +/- 100 mm. It is all over the place and act differently at different times I look at it. I did the adjustment where you widen the guides fully and set the max then push the guides in all the way and set the min. The adjustment went as normally should. Does not help though. After playing with it and watching the behavior it was near the end of the work day. I let customer know I would come back tomorrow to check into it further. Just before I left I noticed the check in service mode that the values showed what seems good as I move the guides and I tested this in copy mode and it was working then a few seconds later it went back to showing A4 size. It seems intermittent before I left. Service manual has only a theory of operation and it does not go into depth on the subject of the varistor VR1. On kmbs site when I look in the accessories section they do not have a service manual shown for the DF702. The only other documentation is the intial adjustments for the doc feeder in the main unit installation instructions and parts manuals of course. My first thought is changing out VR1. Also it then connects to the DF control board. Any thoughts?

wseyller
05-15-2013, 04:46 PM
Had a call on a different C654 so I look at values in service mode to compare. Min value should be around 175mm not 450 or so which is was i got when doing adjustment. Went back to this machine and had to do adjustment several times and the value gradually lower down to appropriate distance. Sensor check seems normal now and tested good in copy mode with different sizes.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

blackcat4866
05-16-2013, 12:38 AM
I think you're on the right track with VR1. Replace and re-run the adjustment. Be sure you are using the correct paper size when doing this adjustment. Most of the previous models employ A4 size paper to calibrate the sensor. I haven't looked but suspect that is the same on this model.
=^..^=

wseyller
05-16-2013, 01:21 AM
Didn't replace it. After doing adjustment the min value would go lower and lower each time until it got to an ideal value. This particular adjustment doesn't use that A4 page that comes with the machine. Basically you open the guides out fully to the max. When max is selected you just press start and it will show a value in millimeters and will say OK. Max value should be around 1022mm. For min you close the guide all the way and and select min adjustment and press start. Around 175mm I believe is about where it should be. Hopefully issue doesn't come back.

Never put a copier near a pool where chlorine can get to it. Unfortunately this copier is in my territory and bets have been taken to how long this machine will last to the point where it is un-repairable. Why it was decided to not moved out of this area is beyond me. There is rust in areas throughout the machine. At one time the feed rollers melted to the extent that they were gooey.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Custom Search