PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous Bizhub 750 SMB/DNS problems

Custom Search

kronical
05-21-2013, 03:46 PM
Hey guys, got a weird one that needs some special attention.
Cust has a bizhub 750 and is trying to set up smb scanning directly to workstation shares. Here is where it gets weird.
Setting up the onetouch to scan to the pc by IP address works fine. However by IP is not desireable for obvious reasons.
When setting up the onetouch by hostname, a 'Server Connect Error' occurs.
Before the flood of obvious suggestions,
DNS is configured on the device and working (smtp hostname scanning works, device able to ping the workstation by hostname)
Workstation is XP client, share correctly configured with correct permissions (works by IP just not hostname) and accessible via hostname from other PCs.
The only thing I can think of is a domain/workgroup issue, as the device cannot take a domain. Can not use domain as the workgroup on the device as the domain exceeds the available characters on the device.

Any network/IT gurus out there that have seen this or have any ideas where to go with this?

irtek
05-21-2013, 04:11 PM
Had that problem scanning from a Toshiba to my laptop once. Finally traced it to a problem with the wireless network. Had LAN and wireless both connected to the laptop and had the same symptoms you are having, turned the wireless connection off on laptop and it worked correctly. If the workstation has a wireless card try shutting it off.

kronical
05-21-2013, 04:21 PM
Had that problem scanning from a Toshiba to my laptop once. Finally traced it to a problem with the wireless network. Had LAN and wireless both connected to the laptop and had the same symptoms you are having, turned the wireless connection off on laptop and it worked correctly. If the workstation has a wireless card try shutting it off.

Thanks for speedy reply. There is no wireless here so that wont be it. And what you are describing is due to a duplicate dns entry for the laptop being connected via wireless and hardwired.

CompyTech
05-21-2013, 07:17 PM
Hey guys, got a weird one that needs some special attention.
Cust has a bizhub 750 and is trying to set up smb scanning directly to workstation shares. Here is where it gets weird.
Setting up the onetouch to scan to the pc by IP address works fine. However by IP is not desireable for obvious reasons.
When setting up the onetouch by hostname, a 'Server Connect Error' occurs.
Before the flood of obvious suggestions,
DNS is configured on the device and working (smtp hostname scanning works, device able to ping the workstation by hostname)
Workstation is XP client, share correctly configured with correct permissions (works by IP just not hostname) and accessible via hostname from other PCs.
The only thing I can think of is a domain/workgroup issue, as the device cannot take a domain. Can not use domain as the workgroup on the device as the domain exceeds the available characters on the device.

Any network/IT gurus out there that have seen this or have any ideas where to go with this?

can you browse the network from machine to the destination PC? A lot of machines will do this, I'm not sure if 750 will since it's an old timer.

kronical
05-21-2013, 08:41 PM
can you browse the network from machine to the destination PC? A lot of machines will do this, I'm not sure if 750 will since it's an old timer.

No there is no ability to browse the network on this machine, at least if there is, it is not apparent.

Custom Search