PDA

View Full Version : Ethernet Power Adaptors

Custom Search

Taminol
06-19-2013, 10:07 PM
Hi guys,

Has anyone ever used any of these type of adaptors before?
They're supposed to create a network infrastructure over the mains power system.
Something like this
TP-Link AV200+ Multi-Streaming Powerline Starter Kit with AC Pass Through : 200Mbps Powerline Adaptors and Kits : Maplin Electronics (http://www.maplin.co.uk/tp-link-av200-multi-streaming-powerline-starter-kit-with-ac-pass-through-636006)

We're thinking about this for an installation without network access in the 'copier room'.
Cat5e cabling isn't really an option, due to the nature of the building.
It's a KM Bizhub C224e and simply needs to be able to print and scan.
May need a bit of Account Track and Secure Print in time, but if the first bit works, the rest should follow suit?

I can't see it being a problem, but wanted to ask my friends and fellow Techs what they thought.

Thoughts or views anyone??

Thanks

Tam

kahdgar
06-19-2013, 10:21 PM
I use these in my house and they are amazing. I couldn't tell a difference between cat5 cable and these power adapters. I dont use them for copy machines though so idk if you will run into any problems.

Kidaver
06-19-2013, 10:26 PM
I've not tried it but I remember someone mentioning it on here but they've used the network adapters for gaming systems. I've got one on my xbox that works great when I stream media across the network from my laptop to my xbox.

tech51
06-19-2013, 10:28 PM
As long as its all on the same ring main circuit it should be ok. I use these at home as well and the link is far more reliable than wireless. I stream video over mine with no problem so it should cope with printing and scanning.

EarthKmTech
06-20-2013, 06:56 AM
I have used them in the home environment and have also setup a konica minolta machine in the field using them too.

No issues.

Phrag
06-20-2013, 07:21 AM
I've heard of these, but never used them. I was a bit sceptical about it using the mains power to transmit data. Wouldn't it receive inference from the 240V circuit, or does it have to be on its own, isolated, unpowered circuit?

RRodgers
06-20-2013, 12:27 PM
We've used a Buffalo wireless bridge with great success.

Hansoon
06-20-2013, 03:03 PM
I have two customers both with Bizhub 350 B&W's using it. I was extremely sceptical in the beginning but they insisted. This is now going for at least 4 years without any problem. Scanning and printing in B&W without problems and/or noticeable dragging.

Both adaptors however must be at the same phase otherwise a phase coupler must be installed in the distribution panel box.

Hans

Taminol
06-20-2013, 07:07 PM
Thanks everyone for your feedback.
I going to check out those xbox gaming adaptors, as I can see they pretty much turn an ethernet device in to a wireless device.
But failing that, will purchase a pair of 'ethernet plugs' at the weekend
Installation is next week, so I'll post on how it goes.....
Thanks again.

Tam

paulrid
06-20-2013, 07:11 PM
I use them at home and at customers, work really well.
Paul.

tech51
06-20-2013, 08:18 PM
I've heard of these, but never used them. I was a bit sceptical about it using the mains power to transmit data. Wouldn't it receive inference from the 240V circuit, or does it have to be on its own, isolated, unpowered circuit?
They dont use mains power to transmit the data. They transmit data using the mains wiring and use filtering to remove any electrical noise. They have to be on a powered circuit because they are powered by the mains. I was as sceptical like yourself but having used them at home I would have no problem with using them at a customers...

Phrag
06-21-2013, 01:11 AM
They dont use mains power to transmit the data. They transmit data using the mains wiring and use filtering to remove any electrical noise. They have to be on a powered circuit because they are powered by the mains. I was as sceptical like yourself but having used them at home I would have no problem with using them at a customers...

Very interesting. I'll be forced to use wireless shortly, instead of a light pink ethernet cable. I might have to look at using these. Must be pretty effective then, hearing you guys go on about them. I imagine using some thicker, higher quality copper would allow for a greater bandwidth.

blackcat4866
06-21-2013, 01:16 AM
Very interesting. I'll be forced to use wireless shortly, instead of a light pink ethernet cable. I might have to look at using these. Must be pretty effective then, hearing you guys go on about them. I imagine using some thicker, higher quality copper would allow for a greater bandwidth.

Just out of curiosity, what does the color of the cable have to do with anything? =^..^=

Phrag
06-21-2013, 03:40 AM
Just out of curiosity, what does the color of the cable have to do with anything? =^..^=

Did I say pink? I meant lightish red.

No, but in all seriousness, the colour has nothing to do with it. But it matches my pink iPod. I just wanted to be different. Everyone else uses blue. How dull is that? =)

Hansoon
06-21-2013, 05:11 AM
I imagine using some thicker, higher quality copper would allow for a greater bandwidth.

If talking about the water supply I can imagine that a fatter pipe some times is of advantage but "thicker, higher quality copper" would most likely not have an influence on the performance of a TCP/IP network.

Hans

Phrag
06-21-2013, 05:42 AM
If talking about the water supply I can imagine that a fatter pipe some times is of advantage but "thicker, higher quality copper" would most likely not have an influence on the performance of a TCP/IP network.

Hans
You're probably right. It's friday here. Please forgive me.

Kidaver
06-21-2013, 01:58 PM
Did I say pink? I meant lightish red.

No, but in all seriousness, the colour has nothing to do with it. But it matches my pink iPod. I just wanted to be different. Everyone else uses blue. How dull is that? =)

Simmons: How'd he get pink armor,anyway?Grif: Don't ask, don't tell...Donut: Look at it, it's not pink. It's like, uhhh, a lightish-red.Grif: Guess what? They already have a color for lightish-red. You know what it's called? Pink!Donut: I hate you guys...

Taminol
06-27-2013, 05:56 PM
Installation is next week, so I'll post on how it goes.....
Thanks again.

Tam

Installation completed.
I used these TP-Link AV Mini 200Mbps Powerline Kit : 200Mbps Powerline Adaptors and Kits : Maplin Electronics (http://www.maplin.co.uk/tp-link-av-mini-200mbps-powerline-kit-634717) and paid £40
(typically there's a sale now on and they're £29.99)
In the box was 2 powerline ethernet plugs, 2 cat5 cables, I'd say 1.2m in length. A CD and a 1 page setup guide.
I scanned thru the guide, but there really wasn't much to read. It was simply plug and play. Didn't bother with the CD or even pushing the 'encrypt' button on the plugs. I wanted to see if it worked straight out the box so to speak. It did
The C224e was happy, it printed and scanned exactly as it would on a standard network. Print jobs arrived quickly and scans (SMB) arrived quicker than I could run to the PC to view them.

Thanks for all your comments. I would have been more apprehensive without them :)

Custom Search