PDA

View Full Version : Distributed Scan server

Custom Search

miesjel
06-25-2013, 04:17 PM
Hello!

I want to test distributed scan server along with an Bizhub C224. but there is a small problem. In the manual they refer to a button called Distributed scan settings. But there isnt one in the menu (under Administrator -> Network settings).

Konica Minolta Nederland (Netherlands) didn't know why and tought it might be because there is no LK-101 installed. In their office they use a Bizhub C364 with LK-101 and they can see it.

Thanks in advance.

Michel

TheOwl
07-04-2013, 11:33 AM
miesjel,

I have had plenty of questions about DFS within Windows before and the easiest answer you can give someone is the at the end of the day, DFS servers simply use a single host name between multiple servers so that the shares are "shared" between all the servers, but look as though they are coming from a central location.

In short, you are simply scanning to a typical UNC path as if you were scanning to SMB normally.

miesjel
07-04-2013, 02:33 PM
Hi,

thanks for your response.

SMB didnt work for the customer so thats why I looked at DFS. I Have the option in my menu now so thats not the issue anymore. But i doubt DFS would be usefull here.

The customer wants to scan his orders to new folders everytime. So the best option is to browse your network via de MFP, but this is terribly slow so we are looking for an alternative. Can setup DFS in a way that i can navigate trough to folders/shares?

TheOwl
07-04-2013, 03:03 PM
No easy way other than a bit of manual work.

The DFS within Windows definitely isn't what you are looking for as DFS is simply shares on multiple servers appearing as through they come from one server (well that is the basics of it).

I am going to assume that your customer wants to scan all the days orders in to a dated folder for each day? What would be better for them would be simply to scan all the orders into one folder, but make sure that the scans are named prior to sending the scan.

That way, you can search a single folder quite quickly to find files.

Other than that, there might be some OCR software that could do the job of creating new folders for each scan.

miesjel
07-04-2013, 03:48 PM
ok, thanks for your response. Ill skip DFS then.

They scan to customer folders, when they sell their product, they scan everything to the customer folder. And they have a lot of customers and they create multiple folders each day.

OCR sounds like the best alternative, they didnt want to spend money but I think they might need to.

Thanks!

wseyller
07-05-2013, 12:57 AM
Doc record can automate all of this to their wildest dreams using the automation server. It could be setup to scan to a watch folder. The automation server could be setup to automatically detect what type of document it is, rename it, index information, place it in certain category, and create folders by defining certain criteria. Though it maybe overkill and pricey but if their workflow is complex enough it could payoff in the end.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

miesjel
07-05-2013, 11:58 AM
thanks! Might be worth looking at!

Custom Search