PDA

View Full Version : Error Code Newbie, why does everyone piecemeal error codes? Is there a lookup for them?

Custom Search

JPayne
08-01-2013, 09:42 PM
I am the administrator for an IKON (now Konica Minolta) CPP650. I found this site while I was trying to find information on error codes before resorting to making a service call and it has been helpful for a few error codes but I'm amazed there isn't a reference here somewhere to the error code key for my machine. Does one exist? We own our machine and don't have a service contract so no concernes about voiding contracts. Thanks!

minimerlin
08-01-2013, 09:51 PM
The error codes can vary from machine to machine but are always listed in the relevant service manuals. I am sure a certain person on this site would be able to provide you with one...for a price:)! Just be aware that a little knowledge can be a bad thing, a lot of damage can be done if you are not careful.

JPayne
08-01-2013, 10:13 PM
The error codes can vary from machine to machine but are always listed in the relevant service manuals. I am sure a certain person on this site would be able to provide you with one...for a price:)! Just be aware that a little knowledge can be a bad thing, a lot of damage can be done if you are not careful.

Thanks minimerlin. We may look into the service manual option as a last resort but we generally want the technician to do our repairs for the reasons you noted. Sounds like the error codes are almost classified information. Maybe next time we go out for bids we will spec it out to include the appropriate service manual. At the very least, some knowledge about error codes allows us to look for paper fragments or cleaning needs in a very specific location.

wseyller
08-01-2013, 10:24 PM
Most of these error codes are for the technician to decipher in that you normally need some knowledge on the theory of operation to even understand them. Majority of the time a normal user having a description of these codes would not provide any advantage. For simple things you have different type of error messages that the user can understand such the direction for the door to open up to remove a jam, or to replace toner and such. Of course there is a user here that sells manuals and you can purchase them if you like. You would then have the same resource a tech would have to look up the code. I would be shocked if you haven't seen the millions of post of this user selling manuals.

Iowatech
08-02-2013, 01:29 AM
I agree with wseyller, service error codes denote critical failures in the machine and have very little to do with paper jams by scraps of paper that should be obvious by simple observation and referencing the user manual (use the .pdf version if you can, the search function is awesome). And as such they are not something the operators of the machine should have to worry about.

JPayne
08-02-2013, 09:31 PM
I agree with wseyller, service error codes denote critical failures in the machine and have very little to do with paper jams by scraps of paper that should be obvious by simple observation and referencing the user manual (use the .pdf version if you can, the search function is awesome). And as such they are not something the operators of the machine should have to worry about.

I appreciate the additional input. This is good advice but I have always wanted to be able to have access to all of the information available so I can make my own decision. I don't take the dentist's word I should have a set of X-rays done regularly, nor do I accept the government's word that Obamacare will reduce the cost of health insurance. A copier is not an automobile but, just like an automobile, it was a very expensive investment. I have shop manuals on my cars and I do almost all of my own work. I have broken a few things a factory trained technician would have known better how to protect but over my lifetime I have saved TONS of money, and am very knowldgeable about my cars and I know what I'm willing to pay for in a new car and what I refuse to accept. We have gone astray of my original question which y'all answerd, thank you very much, so I think I'm just ranting from a soabox now just wishing more folks would take the initiative to learn more about the machines we use, the foods we eat, the bodies we live from, and the people we vote for and then we would be better equipped to make the very best decisions. My final rant from my soapbox is a question: Are you in control or is your hairdresser, doctor, priest, mechanic, copier technician in control?

JustManuals
08-02-2013, 11:09 PM
This Parts & Service Manual can now be purchased for $12.77 and downloaded immediately after payment from:

http://www.justmanuals.com

Paul@justmanuals.com

Hansoon
08-03-2013, 06:37 AM
My final rant from my soapbox is a question: Are you in control or is your hairdresser, doctor, priest, mechanic, copier technician in control?

Well..., Paul tried helping to answer that question. He's offering manuals for everything.....

http://conservativeindytechs.com/public/style_emoticons/default/muttley.gif

Hans

blackcat4866
08-04-2013, 12:11 PM
I'm not sure what JPayne is looking for but it's not advice, and he's probably not going to be separated from $12.77 USD. There's nothing for me to do here. =^..^=

Luther
08-04-2013, 02:35 PM
He doesnt want to pay a tech, mechanic or for a manual, but he wants a list of error codes to service his machine and wants someone to post this list on their time so he has access of the error codes so he can service the machine himself? do you also want a free screwdriver? techs have put a lot of time in training and field service and to dismiss this like you can understand a manual or that anyone can do it is silly to say the least.Purchase a manual and the 1st time you have a problem you cant fix or cant understand the info in the manual you will be here asking questions and I for one will just laugh.I usually ignore posts like this but had to get on my soap box.

JPayne
08-05-2013, 02:36 PM
Looks like there are a few other soapboxes...sorry if we went too far astray from my original question for some of you but I did get an answer....no, there are no error code lists online. I don't recall asking someone to go to the trouble to scan the list in.

For the record, we have a very good service technician....and I have plenty of screwdrivers so I don't need a free one :>)

emujo
08-05-2013, 03:45 PM
Over the years, many people have uploaded the various copier codes for all to have, some charge, some don't. The nice thing about most manufactures trouble codes is that they remain basically the same over the years and product lines. So even if you can't get a list of the service codes w/o a manual, if you do a google search for "bizhub C-XXXX" error code you should get some kind of hint as to what it means. If you can tell it's related to a smoked PWB then yeah you probably need a tech, if you see that it looks like a fan motor is not turning, and you can fix a desktop computer, then you might be able to find and install a new fan. I agree with you that we should be able to repair ( to some level) our own equipment. I would have a hard time taking my car to the dealership to change the oil, or replace brake pads, but if the AC goes out then I'm not even going to try. And since you didn't start your post with "I need firmware, or can somebody email me the service manual for free" I'm willing to help you out with a tech question. Emujo

JPayne
08-05-2013, 04:12 PM
Thanks emujo. Your thoughts are on a very close track with mine. I did resolve my current issue, a failed temperature thermister. I swapped the bad one out with a used one in a fuser unit that was taken out of service. Now we can use our copier until our service tech orders new replacements and installs them later in the week.

Custom Search