PDA

View Full Version : Canned Air!!!!

Custom Search

Pages : [1] 2

kyoceradude
02-19-2008, 05:11 PM
Just want to check. Are most dealers using canned air? If so, what brand are you using and what price are you paying? Ames AQS Air 15 oz. can runs $9.00 per can :eek: when you buy it by the case. Looking for an alternative... Of course it has to be Non-Flamable. We tried one that turned into a blow torch. Don't want to do that again.

JustManuals
02-19-2008, 05:39 PM
I buy 10 oz. cans of Falcon Dust-Off at 3 for $9.99 at microcenter.

HtH
Paul@justmanuals.com

Cipher
02-19-2008, 07:05 PM
We just use a manually operated blower brush (without the brush extension).

http://www.livingroom.org.au/photolog/images/thumbnails/Lens_Blower_Brush.jpg

JustManuals
02-19-2008, 08:13 PM
Daz.......You oughta join the 21st century. :D

Paul@justmanuals.com

Cipher
02-19-2008, 11:11 PM
Coca-Cola admits that Dasani is nothing but bottled tap water.

And in another shocking story

Cans of compressed air is nothing but............................ air. :eek:

Blah the 21st century blows LOL. :D

JustManuals
02-19-2008, 11:14 PM
'Blah the 21st century blows'

Well, ya got that right!

just a tech
02-20-2008, 12:12 AM
We just use a manually operated blower brush (without the brush extension).

http://www.livingroom.org.au/photolog/images/thumbnails/Lens_Blower_Brush.jpg

hey daz.. i use the best of both worlds... an air can and a small paint brush..:)

ZOOTECH
02-20-2008, 12:29 AM
Just don't use a vacuum with the spray can, I had one that 'backfired' on me, scared the pi$$ out of me (glad I wasn't at customers). :eek: Not sure if spray was non-flammable or not, but the static buildup of the moving air might have done it.

DadO
02-21-2008, 11:49 AM
I, like u all don't understand why are pressured air so expensive, Its a dam air, not hydrogen bomb....

I never tried but will, to buy a air compressor and "rechargeable" pressure cans.Of course, its a bomb if u try to manually recharge can :D...if u don't use appropriate tools.This is an unconfirmed :D idea

I will send a e-mail to "jackass" for testing ;)

lkrsardis
02-21-2008, 12:02 PM
We had a tech blow the front door clean off its hinges on a NP 6545 one time.
That was a blast.:rolleyes: He was using compuserve air.:eek::eek::eek:

dogsbody
02-21-2008, 12:40 PM
only use my mark 1 blower brush now, a year or two ago over my christmas leave the car was sitting for about a week, temperature outside got to about 42 degrees (about 107 farenheiht), a can of air was in my tool box and it blew the side right out of it. Haven't touched it since.

DadO
02-23-2008, 08:14 AM
We had a tech blow the front door clean off its hinges on a NP 6545 one time.
That was a blast.:rolleyes: He was using compuserve air.:eek::eek::eek:

Hahahah u say a blast?:D Luck is, i never experienced simmilar (cans blowing up, limbs going off ) but did saw few examples what u should not do whit an can, still didn't repelled me from idea of compressor and a
rechargeable can :D at least until accident don't happen :o

euro scott
04-11-2008, 04:35 PM
i had to ban it from the shop for a while as a had a shop tech that was huffing it and getting stoned..when i finally found the one , hes now in a different line of work

yourownfree
04-11-2008, 04:54 PM
canned air is not air, its a gas. I tried to make my own canned air. I took a tire valve and soldered it in the bottom of the can. I then pumped air pressure in it with a tire pump. It's only good for about one squirt. waste of time. you need something thats of heavier metal to put more pressure in. We get about 4 cans of air at Costco for about 10-12 bucks. Hey the canned air thing i made might work if i had a heavier tank and a mini compressor in my tool case.
too much weight. just need a screwdriver and do air blowing exercises daily, to keep your lungs at top notch air force potential. Ever tried blowing air from your mouth to clean a part off, it seems to go back in you mouth for some reason, never do it anymore, too many germs and crap stuck in the dust. End up coughing for an hour trying to get the dust bunny out of my throat.

lkrsardis
04-11-2008, 06:21 PM
Toner snot at the end of the day.:eek:

blackcat4866
04-12-2008, 02:32 AM
That's one of those lessons we all learn early on. Close your eyes before blowing the toner out of a crevase, because it just goes right in your eyes! :P

=^..^=

nmfaxman
04-12-2008, 03:22 AM
"PHHTTT" That was free.

mnm
04-16-2008, 05:59 AM
We use this stuff...it's about $3 for the large 10oz can.
Compucessory Air Power Dusters - 24305 (http://www.officediscountclub.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=32&gclid=CIvNkdLk3pICFRpOagodHEFP-A)

lkrsardis
04-16-2008, 12:35 PM
We use this stuff...it's about $3 for the large 10oz can.
Compucessory Air Power Dusters - 24305 (http://www.officediscountclub.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=32&gclid=CIvNkdLk3pICFRpOagodHEFP-A) As I refered too in an previous post this shit will blow-up. Let any equiptment you use this product on air out before powering-up the machine!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

blackcat4866
04-17-2008, 02:27 AM
Have you ever ignited the propellant in an aerosol can on purpose? Back in college I was really curious. Bic lighter + depleted can of Right Guard deodorant = an (8) foot long fireball!!!! It scared the shtt out of me!

=^..^=

lkrsardis
04-17-2008, 02:43 PM
Yea, and I'm still prone to do stupid stuff like that. Keeps you young.:D

freedomtt
05-07-2008, 10:18 PM
We buy gust easy duster from Stoner
www.criticalcleaning.com (http://www.criticalcleaning.com) #94203

we haven't blown anything up yet and it's about $45.00 for a case of 12 - free shipping too

b003ace
08-11-2008, 05:13 PM
I, like u all don't understand why are pressured air so expensive, Its a dam air, not hydrogen bomb....

I never tried but will, to buy a air compressor and "rechargeable" pressure cans.Of course, its a bomb if u try to manually recharge can :D...if u don't use appropriate tools.This is an unconfirmed :D idea

I will send a e-mail to "jackass" for testing ;)

Actually, the compressed "air" isn't air at all, it is HCFC, using "freons" such as 1,1,1,2,-tetraflouroethane (Ames AQS). This is also why the frost forms when you over do it with a new can.

It's amazing what you can learn reading the labels!:eek:

fixthecopier
08-11-2008, 11:00 PM
My shop got cheap a few years ago and quit buying it, so I took a pancake compressor my boss had in the warehouse and put it in the back of my truck. I can run it at the truck or carry it in. Works great.

leroyal
08-12-2008, 02:45 AM
Ames

Mopar Freak
08-18-2008, 10:16 PM
Dust Off, Company buys it for us.:D

aam
09-08-2008, 07:06 PM
I don't like using those aerosol dusters too much as if you don't hold them at the correct angle they let out fluid. As an alternative I was going to use one of those mini 12V tyre inflators but the problem was that it needed a 12V source and it was still a bit bulky to carry.

I then saw another device that looks a bit like a cordless drill but is a pump instead (Bosch PAG 12V). Various other brands are available and they are quite compact in size. Using a ball inflating nozzle gives a good blast of air. I just have to remember to charge the battery. :)

blackcat4866
09-09-2008, 02:26 AM
What a cool toy! For a while I used one of those hand held blowers that you use to inflate air mattresses. It worked OK, but was noisy, and I was tethered to the nearest outlet. =^..^=

aam
09-09-2008, 06:02 AM
What a cool toy! For a while I used one of those hand held blowers that you use to inflate air mattresses. It worked OK, but was noisy, and I was tethered to the nearest outlet. =^..^=
I forgot to mention the noise as a potential drawback, but it's not too bad with the cordless units compared to the larger inflators.

The Bosch unit may not be easily available in many countries, but there are various other brands available. Many of them seem to be listed in the gadget or gifts type magazines. If anyone decides to get one of the other brands, watch out for the type of battery (lead-acid, NiCd, NiMh, etc) and the duty cycle as some are quite limited before they heat up. Also watch out for the price, as they seem to vary quit a lot and you may find something that looks almost identical for say half the price.

imagertech
09-11-2008, 04:59 PM
i had one blow out my front window the other day in 100* heat. it was in the back of my hatchback and shot to the front of the car and smashed the windshield.

aam
09-11-2008, 05:37 PM
i had one blow out my front window the other day in 100* heat. it was in the back of my hatchback and shot to the front of the car and smashed the windshield.
Wow that sounds scary. :eek:

You may have to consider yourself lucky as it sounds like the valve failed causing the can to move like a missile rather than exploding like a grenade.

prntrfxr
09-18-2008, 06:34 PM
I don't like using those aerosol dusters too much as if you don't hold them at the correct angle they let out fluid. As an alternative I was going to use one of those mini 12V tyre inflators but the problem was that it needed a 12V source and it was still a bit bulky to carry.

I then saw another device that looks a bit like a cordless drill but is a pump instead (Bosch PAG 12V). Various other brands are available and they are quite compact in size. Using a ball inflating nozzle gives a good blast of air. I just have to remember to charge the battery. :)

My boss had one when I was a green tech and he was teaching me copiers. It was a lot easier than rolling the copier outside to use the big compressor (he didnt want to run it inside) It did make a lot of noise, but no more than a portable vacuum. Smaller than a vaccuum too.

I have been looking for one of these for a long time for myself. Does anyone know any other brands?

aam
09-20-2008, 05:53 AM
A couple of other brands that seem to be quite easily available in the States are the AirMan cordless air pump, and the AirPro, but I don't know what they are like in use.

The Airman is the smaller and has a Li-ion battery, whilst the AirPro is larger and has a lead acid battery. The cheapest I've seen them is on amazon.com.

ToshibaTech
10-12-2008, 02:37 AM
I probably would never shell out for one of these just to blow out a copier but doesn't Lowes sell a portable air tank that is small enough to clip on your belt. I think they sell it as a power source for air nailers for roofing. I'm not sure how it would hold up with a blow nozzle, probably would have to use very quick bursts and then recharge it often. Anyone else seen these or used them?

Lance
10-12-2008, 02:52 AM
Blower brush fits in the bag better

prntrfxr
10-15-2008, 02:26 PM
blower brush does fit and I do have one in my bag, but sometimes you need a little bit more air pressure. some techs dont clean that well. It takes a little bit more time, but the machines I work on look new when I'm done. even if I have to come out a second time, customer perception is that they got their money's worth out of the service call from a tech who cares about what they do. Also easier to convince them that it's a different problem.

leroyal
10-15-2008, 10:05 PM
What you say is true of all seasoned copier techs, and we are unique in the service biz.

Don't sprain your elbow patting yourself on the back.

We all care too much. Just ask Jim Intravia. (Read his article "It's only a machine")

prntrfxr
10-16-2008, 02:38 PM
Don't sprain your elbow patting yourself on the back.

I guess looking back at my message, it did look like I needed a humility check. Thanks LeRoyal...must be the service manager side of me always drumming "clean the machine" into my techs..sorry

Kim Krell
10-17-2008, 08:46 PM
Stoner 12oz cans, $4.00 a can. phone #717-786-0804. case of 12 $49.00

AMERCOPITECH
10-25-2008, 04:47 PM
Yep,it is flammable,we were working on a toshiba 1350 at a bank one time and just finished servicing the machine.I did a final blowoff of the ts coronas,closed the front door of the copier,flipped the power switch on and BOOM!!!!the glass came out the top,front door flew off and broke the side and back panel.Scared the bank employees good and left me amazed at the power of blowoff combined with toner dust.

rictech
03-28-2009, 06:09 AM
Try one of these, lots more power than the small ones:

Rocket Air Blower (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/259157-REG/Giottos_AA1900_Rocket_Air_Blower_.html)

blackcat4866
03-28-2009, 05:14 PM
This looks like a vast improvement over the binky little blower brushes (phhh, phhh, phhh, and nothing happens). I'll put this one on my Must-Have list. =^..^=

ToshibaTech
03-28-2009, 05:33 PM
Here is one for a little cheaper, this website has a lot of good tools for pretty cheap and reasonable shipping. I get my spring hooks from there.
Blower, Giottos Rocket-Air Large - Part #: AA1900 (http://www.micro-tools.com/store/item_detail.aspx?ItemCode=AA1900)

joelsa12
05-07-2009, 01:21 PM
Not only a cool name for a company, but they have many canned air product. You can order dirrectly from them, which is cheaper. They also have many other products that they offer. With every large order they will send you a tee shirt. It has big red letters that says STONER on it. Makes me laugh every time that I wear the shirt. I prefer the 360 spray anyway. It is a little more expensive, but you will never get propellant coming out even if you hold the can upside down. Good luck in your search.

mjunkaged
10-15-2010, 12:12 AM
Just a heads up, some canned air propellant will MELT PLASTIC PARTS!!!
I had a customer who was using it to blow out the feeder when he got a paper jam instead of just calling me. Eventually the plastic body which was the inner guide deformed causing constant jams and had to be sanded to restore paper travel. Took me a while to figure that one out! Since he's stopped using it, no more jams! Good thing as that particular part is part of the base frame and a bear to replace (total teardown and reassembly).

kingpd@businessprints.net
10-17-2010, 12:24 PM
Have you ever ignited the propellant in an aerosol can on purpose? Back in college I was really curious. Bic lighter + depleted can of Right Guard deodorant = an (8) foot long fireball!!!! It scared the shtt out of me!

=^..^=

We used to take rubbing alcohol and pour it on our desks in college and light it on fire. We'd also take a baseball and soak it in the alcohol light is and roll it down the dorm halls.

CraigW
05-06-2011, 05:29 PM
I have had a Metro DataVac Electric Duster model ED500 for a while now, It is pretty nice to have around when you need it. Super long AC cord, well made with steel. Good size, I can fit it in my tool case pocket. I'm going to eventually get a momentary switch replacement for it.

I fell in love with canned air the 1st time I hit a set of toner covered developing unit gears and they looked like brand new in about 1/2 a second..

hekotez
05-07-2011, 12:04 AM
I dont use a blower... dust/toner always likes to end up in the nastiest places... i always carry a vaccum with me... I use a 3M vac specially designed for toner and fine particles... its a powerhouse... it'll suck anything out of anywhere, dust, toner, dev... Well maybe you guys on the other side of the "creek" got better canned air than we do here... but yeah my vaccum's suction power beated the blowing power of the couple cans i tried...

JustManuals
05-07-2011, 03:16 AM
We used to take rubbing alcohol and pour it on our desks in college and light it on fire. We'd also take a baseball and soak it in the alcohol light is and roll it down the dorm halls.

When I was in tech. school with the AF Reserve, we used to take beer cans, (the old style with edges) cut holes in the ends making a baffle, fill the bottoms with lighter fluid and put a tennis ball in the top. Made a nice bazooka, used to have wars across the quad in the dorms. Loads of fun.

HenryT2
02-15-2013, 10:56 PM
When I was in tech. school with the AF Reserve, we used to take beer cans, (the old style with edges) cut holes in the ends making a baffle, fill the bottoms with lighter fluid and put a tennis ball in the top. Made a nice bazooka, used to have wars across the quad in the dorms. Loads of fun.

Yep ... also made great big, very loud, window rattling boom, when you just ignite the lighter fluid ( no tennis ball to baffle the noise ) .
I would be scared to try this with beer or soda cans today.
Paul, do you think that soup cans would be sturdy enough to make one ?
HMMM .... I might collect a few cans and let you know how it works out ......

Custom Search