PDA

View Full Version : Fiery says Periodic Maintenance

Custom Search

henry finley
08-16-2013, 07:08 PM
Uh-oh, is this the time I've been dreading? I have a Konica C-500 I've had pretty good use out of since buying it used a couple years ago. But just now I sent another job from the computer and the Fiery says Periodic Maintenance. Seems like the job took a longer time before the copier would accept it, but it looks like it MIGHT work, for today anyway.
But is this the time when IO have to call a technician out and throw a couple thousand dollars into that dreaded complete overhaul or the copier will simply refuse to print any more? The time I knew was coming, with dread? I live way, way out in the country. No technician is going to come here without cleaning my clock on money. What do I do? The work could be better in quality I suppose, but I'm getting by. Any way to make this machine just shut up with its demands and print? HELP! Thank you.
How much longer will it let me print before refusing to?

Tonerbomb
08-16-2013, 09:37 PM
Uh-oh, is this the time I've been dreading? I have a Konica C-500 I've had pretty good use out of since buying it used a couple years ago. But just now I sent another job from the computer and the Fiery says Periodic Maintenance. Seems like the job took a longer time before the copier would accept it, but it looks like it MIGHT work, for today anyway.
But is this the time when IO have to call a technician out and throw a couple thousand dollars into that dreaded complete overhaul or the copier will simply refuse to print any more? The time I knew was coming, with dread? I live way, way out in the country. No technician is going to come here without cleaning my clock on money. What do I do? The work could be better in quality I suppose, but I'm getting by. Any way to make this machine just shut up with its demands and print? HELP! Thank you.
How much longer will it let me print before refusing to?

There you go wanting it fixed for free.......How do you think we feed our families and pay our bills anyway? Time to pay up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

henry finley
08-16-2013, 09:49 PM
OK then. About how much does it cost to have a technician drive 40 miles out to the boondocks to somebody's house and make the machine right again? And once done, how many impressions before it goes bad again? What number is on the counter when the machine shuts down and refuses to print?

Coptech
08-16-2013, 11:05 PM
PM cycle on C500 is 100K and I don't think it will ever shut down for a PM. There is a 100K PM and a 200K PM. Both include new drums, developer changes, coronas, transfer parts, filters, fuser rebuild, etc. The 200K gets a new transfer belt and 1st transfer rollers as well as corona grids. Cost is between you and your service agent.

You would change the oil on your car to make it last wouldn't you? Think of this as a long, intensive oil change.

henry finley
08-16-2013, 11:29 PM
PM cycle on C500 is 100K and I don't think it will ever shut down for a PM. There is a 100K PM and a 200K PM. Both include new drums, developer changes, coronas, transfer parts, filters, fuser rebuild, etc. The 200K gets a new transfer belt and 1st transfer rollers as well as corona grids. Cost is between you and your service agent.

You would change the oil on your car to make it last wouldn't you? Think of this as a long, intensive oil change.

Are you telling me that this thing DOES NOT shut down and refuse to print? That it will just go on wanting all this stuff, but will keep running anyway? I always thought there was a magic number and the machine halts till you do all this, then plug in a little electronic box that tells the machine to start working again. Have I been wrong all this time about that?

Tonerbomb
08-16-2013, 11:54 PM
OK then. About how much does it cost to have a technician drive 40 miles out to the boondocks to somebody's house and make the machine right again? And once done, how many impressions before it goes bad again? What number is on the counter when the machine shuts down and refuses to print?

Here in the midwest, it will cost you $150 to $200 just to show up for the 1st hour. PM intervals vary by machine.

Some machines shut down for some counters, others never do. You can search the forums to find out how to reset the counters.
You can run it till it dies, then your bill gets more expensive..................................

you get what you pay for...............

henry finley
08-17-2013, 12:14 AM
Well this is a Konica Minolta Bizhub color C-500, and I have been on this forum and read a lot of the service manual, and have done a lot of my own service. I can change all those parts, and have done so. I've replaced drums, put in blades, even did motherboard service work on it once. I can do any of that. But it has been my understanding the machine has a preset death, and you can do all the work you want to on it, but without a special $900 electronic box to plug up to it and re-set it, it will stay shut down. NowI'm really confused. I don't need any technician to replace parts, and I'm not even sure there is a certified technician within 200 miles.
I am a man truly "on my own" on this. And it threw up that "periodic maintenance" message on the Fiery today and I'm scared to death. Ever since the 2008 crash I've been living day to day, always on the edge of disaster. Thank you.

Coptech
08-17-2013, 01:50 AM
You should have the wrench or pm light on the machine display also. I had one of those machines (actually an 8050 which was the predecessor) in a print shop that ran to almost 10M prints. It has since gone to the recycler so my memory isn't as fresh as it used to be. It seemed like drums started showing background on longer runs about 20-30K past the 100K PM point. Developer could sometimes fall short of the 100K and make a spotty print. It will not shut down, and there is no magic box. The light gets reset in the 25 mode. There are simulations that you run when replacing drums , developers, etc.

henry finley
08-17-2013, 02:30 AM
You should have the wrench or pm light on the machine display also. I had one of those machines (actually an 8050 which was the predecessor) in a print shop that ran to almost 10M prints. It has since gone to the recycler so my memory isn't as fresh as it used to be. It seemed like drums started showing background on longer runs about 20-30K past the 100K PM point. Developer could sometimes fall short of the 100K and make a spotty print. It will not shut down, and there is no magic box. The light gets reset in the 25 mode. There are simulations that you run when replacing drums , developers, etc.

Lord, I hoe you're right. Thanks you, friend. Thank you. PM, I can do. I can buy that junk on EBAY and install it like an expert. I can go into 25 and 36 mode and tell the machine what I've done. But that built in time bomb stuff I've heard is something that kills me. Always on the edge of disaster. As a printer of 30 years, now I'm in the same boat as Kodak and any other buggy-whip manufacturer. It's a desperate struggle. Thank you again.

henry finley
08-17-2013, 03:18 AM
Lord, I hoe you're right. Thanks you, friend. Thank you. PM, I can do. I can buy that junk on EBAY and install it like an expert. I can go into 25 and 36 mode and tell the machine what I've done. But that built in time bomb stuff I've heard is something that kills me. Always on the edge of disaster. As a printer of 30 years, now I'm in the same boat as Kodak and any other buggy-whip manufacturer. It's a desperate struggle. Thank you again.

Gotta watch those EBAY PM kits. One of them has 2 waste bottle containers, and a couple of long looking thingies, and they call that a PM kit. What a joke. Heck, I've poured out the waste botte box umpteen times and stuck it back in the machine. Why do I need to pay $249 for something so worthless?

Custom Search