PDA

View Full Version : First time you were exposed to games

Custom Search

Pages : [1] 2

Phrag
09-06-2013, 06:38 AM
What was your first exposure to video games?

I remember the first game I played was pac-man on a handheld device. I was addicted to the thing.
I don't exactly remember when it was though. I was born in 1990, and I think it was sometime before 2K came around, or maybe just after. I remember the room, and house I first played it in too.

Eric1968
09-06-2013, 06:45 AM
The first game I played. It was called "Pong". There were 8 levels or so. I think this was in the late 70's. Real High Tech equipment in those days...

Phrag
09-06-2013, 07:29 AM
The first game I played. It was called "Pong". There were 8 levels or so. I think this was in the late 70's. Real High Tech equipment in those days...

Ahhh. Pong. I've played that; although my modern gamer mentality finds it thoroughly boring now. Spawning and running into a hail of bullets repeatedly is the thing these days.

Kidaver
09-19-2013, 02:11 PM
Early 80's my family introduced me to Atari...I was only in kindergarden and staying with my great grandmother for a while...but that old woman could kicks some butt on Ms Pac Man and Megalomania on Atari....of course how many people can say that as a very young child they have sat and watched Cheech and Chong movies with their great grandmother on the old big laserdisc movies.....

Tonerbomb
09-19-2013, 09:28 PM
Pong in the early 70's on Dad's 1st color TV................................................ ............

JimHegs
09-19-2013, 09:58 PM
My Dad won a door prize at a convention back in the 70's, it was the original Pong and I'll always remember everyone in the neighborhood crowding into the living room of the house to watch my older brother play. It reminded me of the pictures you see of people crowding into living rooms in the 50's to watch the first TV's.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/08/TeleGames-Atari-Pong.png/320px-TeleGames-Atari-Pong.png

Exok
09-19-2013, 11:14 PM
My first was this 4 game combo that I had hooked up to my BW TV. It was mostly pong but it also had a gun that you would shoot at the TV to try to hit a white box that bounced all over the screen. I can't remember what it was called.

Here was my next game machine.

Magnavox Odyssey 2

blackcat4866
09-20-2013, 12:57 AM

Damn, that was high tech. That, and Pac Man. =^..^=

Iowatech
09-20-2013, 01:47 AM
I forgot about "Pong", we did have that back in the day. But after that broke I guess the next time I started with video games was when I bought my first computer, a Tandy 1000 (SX?), put a 20 MB "hard card" in the thing and got a DOS game I think was called "Space Quest, Trade routes of (something or other)". A neat Scifi adventure game that had graphics better than "Asteroids"! I played the heck out of that, and that was the progenitor of my playing scifi games, ending with Command And Conquer, Starcraft, and my all time favorite, Descent.
Dang, I need to fire up Descent again. Thanks for reminding me about that.

Phrag
09-20-2013, 02:31 AM
I forgot about "Pong", we did have that back in the day. But after that broke I guess the next time I started with video games was when I bought my first computer, a Tandy 1000 (SX?), put a 20 MB "hard card" in the thing and got a DOS game I think was called "Space Quest, Trade routes of (something or other)". A neat Scifi adventure game that had graphics better than "Asteroids"! I played the heck out of that, and that was the progenitor of my playing scifi games, ending with Command And Conquer, Starcraft, and my all time favorite, Descent.
Dang, I need to fire up Descent again. Thanks for reminding me about that.

Well after pacman, I graduated to Yoshi's Story ( I remember you could eat watermelons and spit out seeds as bullets to get rid of monkeys that tried to steal Mario off your back.) Mario Paint, and Arkanoid. Then I got my Nintendo 64. Mario Kart, Goldeneye, Banjo Kazooie, and Star Fox

I skipped the PS1 phase, and got a PS2. Don't remember much. I think San Andreas was a popular one. Now I own a PS3, XBOX 360 and a great gaming PC. ArmA 3, GTA V, GTA IV, Rome II, Supreme Commander.

Technology has come a long way in a short time.

jonezy999
09-20-2013, 03:28 AM
I had an AtariST. Some of the more memorable games were Arkanoid, OutRun and The Hunt For Red October.

PS Reminiscing of a time gone by, today is my 11,000 day on this earth.

CompyTech
09-26-2013, 03:12 PM
I can remember my dad taking me to arcades in the late 80s, early 90s.. Had friends that had NES. I thought it kinda sucked, then I got SNES this was around like 92 or so.I even had an old hand me down Atari 2600, don't know whatever happened to it. I had the original Playstation and a PS2. Played computer games on Mac and PC through out my child hood. Then mostly PC games into my teens.

I can remember in middle school we used to sneak in floppies with Doom and Wolf3d and play them on the school computers.. Good times.

Phrag
09-26-2013, 11:36 PM
I can remember my dad taking me to arcades in the late 80s, early 90s.. Had friends that had NES. I thought it kinda sucked, then I got SNES this was around like 92 or so.I even had an old hand me down Atari 2600, don't know whatever happened to it. I had the original Playstation and a PS2. Played computer games on Mac and PC through out my child hood. Then mostly PC games into my teens.

I can remember in middle school we used to sneak in floppies with Doom and Wolf3d and play them on the school computers.. Good times.

Floopy disks with Doom. That is old. Doom fit on a floppy disk? 1.44MB? I'm only familiar with the 3 1/2", not any of the larger versions.

CompyTech
09-27-2013, 01:59 AM
Floopy disks with Doom. That is old. Doom fit on a floppy disk? 1.44MB? I'm only familiar with the 3 1/2", not any of the larger versions.

Yes, I had the shareware version it wasn't very big. But I think we had a couple disks. I can't remember, it was back in 6th grade lol. Teacher simply just told us we couldn't play it if we got caught. Now a days there would be a lot graver consequences.

the 1.44 was the small diskette. Larger ones were on the "old" pcs in the "computer lab" there was also Zip disk, similar to floppy but fatter.

Phrag
09-27-2013, 02:17 AM
Yes, I had the shareware version it wasn't very big. But I think we had a couple disks. I can't remember, it was back in 6th grade lol. Teacher simply just told us we couldn't play it if we got caught. Now a days there would be a lot graver consequences.

the 1.44 was the small diskette. Larger ones were on the "old" pcs in the "computer lab" there was also Zip disk, similar to floppy but fatter.

I Know of the 5" floppy's, but I never ever saw one.

When I was in highschool, we used to take games in on USB drives. These days, you can't do it unless you unplug the computer from the network, or so my little brother tells me. The IT guys get smarter every year hahah.

shabbaranks
10-15-2013, 05:01 PM
Sinclair spectrum with tape loading. You would have about 3 tapes to install a game and it would get to the last one and crash - well annoying!

Copystar Tech
10-17-2013, 07:17 PM
My first exposure to "computer games" was playing Oregon Trail on a teletype hooked up via telephone coupler style modem to a mainframe at the U of M. around 1977 or 78. Obviously a text only adventure that would have you typing "Bang", "Pow", or "Blam" as fast as you could to fight off Indians or hunt.

First video game, in the same summer school class a year later, was a star wars game where you and a friend would shoot down tie fighters, each controlling either the X or Y axis of the targeting with paddles. Think that was on an Apple II.

Then in high school, owned an Apple IIe and played games like Drol, Starblazers, Arkon, and Ultima. Ultima, don't remember which one in the series, came with 5 or 6, 5 1/4 floppies that you would have to constantly switch out (no hard drives back then ) depending on where you were in the game world. Made the Duo-Drive so worth it.

nazia
10-25-2013, 05:55 AM
Well there is some useful information which helps people a lot. Thanks for sharing.

CanonSco
01-02-2014, 01:14 PM
My first memory of gaming was one of these bad boys -

On a holiday to Mainland Spain, found in a lobby of some hotel in the Costa del Sol circa 1982.

Pumped many many Peseta's into it.

HU17dotnet
01-03-2014, 02:25 AM
I have been a gamer for 27 years now. It all started for me with a Spectrum+ 48K

There was a show on TV in the UK called How Video Games Changed the World - its been added to youtube here, it is very interesting esp if you, like me started out with them so long ago -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzCINe0V9GE

HU17dotnet
01-03-2014, 02:28 AM
Sinclair spectrum with tape loading. You would have about 3 tapes to install a game and it would get to the last one and crash - well annoying!

Multi Load Games - when they brought out the 128K once you had loaded the stages in they stayed loaded until you turned it off, Playing Out Run was always best after the you had clocked it once

Zaxxon
01-07-2014, 06:16 PM
My first game was played on a brand new christmas present a Commodore Vic-20.
Can remember those typein games in the magazines, great games almost free :-)
Vic-20 gamebase found her: http://www.commodorecomputers.dk
Also a bunch of Vic-20 books and magazines found at this site.

JVergin
07-21-2014, 05:08 PM
I was born in 88. First game I played that got me hooked anyway was quake1 online (quakeworld) then from there quake2. Loved the mods people created in quake2 such as railwarz ctf (with an offhand laser hook that send you flying 1000 mph. Had to be quick and accurate to hit someone) and weapons of destruction.

Debs1964
07-21-2014, 08:33 PM
Being a girlie I've never really been into gaming, but in the late 70's we did have Pong, which we all thought was amazing; then, in the early 80's we got a Sinclair Spectrum and couldn't believe just how incredible the graphics were lol

copier addict
07-29-2014, 05:28 PM
Being a girlie I've never really been into gaming, but in the late 70's we did have Pong, which we all thought was amazing; then, in the early 80's we got a Sinclair Spectrum and couldn't believe just how incredible the graphics were lol

We had a Coleco Telstar. It had three games. Hockey, tennis and handball. The games were all pretty much the same. Bat the ball from one side to the other. It was fun though.

Akitu
07-31-2014, 03:50 PM
I went backwards. I was introduced to the NES as a young child around the age of 2. I grew up and by 7 I was playing Atari at the grandparent's place. E.T. was and still remains the worst game ever created.

Then I got a little older and had a myriad of them, from the SNES through to the PS2 era. N64, PSX, Gameboy (classic, colour, advance), PS2, Gamecube, XBOX (the original 50 pound mass of computer hardware). I went 50/50 with my dad to buy the 360 when it was still a $500 system, played it for a month or two and never got to touch it again. Didn't wind up getting a PS3, wife has a Wii. Have yet to jump on the console bandwagon due to price constraints but I think I might pick up a PS4 and WiiU. I'm still not sold on the XBONE.

stopeon
07-31-2014, 05:01 PM
My first exposure to video games was Pac-Man on my cousin's Atari system. I remember he was having trouble with another game, probably space invaders. The fire button was not responding well. After a quick look down the hall to make sure no adults were near, he opened up the joystick and put a fresh scrap of paper between the contacts on the board and the membrane on the bottom of the switch. I picked up the old scrap of paper and was fascinated by being able to feel that it had been smashed even thinner.

So, first game and first hack repair from the same event.

Gift
08-14-2014, 09:47 AM
I wasn't allowed to have computer/videogames but since the mid/late 80's I was exposed to them at most friends places. Gameboy, NES, MS-Dos Games, Amiga 500, Atari 2600, Atari ST, SNES, these Nintendo LCD video games and so on..... good times^^

jimmcgee
04-30-2015, 07:48 AM
Pong. Though back in the day we just called it table tennis.

C.Vallon
05-04-2015, 04:40 PM
I remember starting off on an old Ateri, maybe a mastersystem? I can't recall much about it now, other than sitting in a basement playing some ninja game and star wars game. Then, I stopped for a few years until I found my self on a NES/SNES, Sega and Sega Genesis. That's where I really got addicted, found my self exploring the worlds of RPGs, the first Final Fantasy's, the Zelda's, and there went my childhood, sucked into the vortex of pixels and fantasy's, lol.

And then game the Gameboy, the old black and white things, haha, I remember hiding mine at night in my bed so I could play it after my mother tucked me in. Man that was hard trying to play a black and white game, in the middle of the night with nothing but the faint glow of the outside lights shining in the window to light up my screen, all the while praying I wouldn't get caught.

Good times..

allan
05-04-2015, 07:00 PM
Commodore 64. Galaxy or something like that.

CompyTech
05-04-2015, 07:25 PM
And then game the Gameboy, the old black and white things, haha, I remember hiding mine at night in my bed so I could play it after my mother tucked me in. Man that was hard trying to play a black and white game, in the middle of the night with nothing but the faint glow of the outside lights shining in the window to light up my screen, all the while praying I wouldn't get caught.

Good times..

Haha good ol Game Boy! I had one too, got mine in a black color case. I had the little clip on magnifying glass/light bulb. I even got the cartridge adapter that allowed you to plug into an SNES, which allowed for big screen and something like 8 colors. I was always a little jealous of friends that got the Sega Game Gear, It was twice the size of the Gameboy but had a full backlit color screen and I think multiplayer thru some tether adapter - until you realized it ran on like 6 AA batteries or something and only lasted like and hour. Most kids stayed sitting tethered to the wall with their DC adapters. lol

Bchabot
03-27-2019, 03:27 PM
NES Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt. NES was such a solid system and had soo many great games. Kind of wish the Classic NES console that was released had RC Pro-Am, or Skate or Die. Both awesome games!

kingpd@businessprints.net
09-20-2019, 03:54 AM
First game I did was sticks rocks imagination and push fights with my cousins. I think the first electronic games I played was that memory one, it was a square toy with 4 white buttons that played a pattern and you played it back. Then there was this "computer" that had programs like how do you spell and you'd spell it. It had a computery male'ish voice too. Then I got into my parents atari (don't recall which one) then NES and super early PC gaming with dos games like Mickey's space adventure, oregon trail and too many to remember.

Phil B.
09-20-2019, 08:25 AM
never got into consoles but my first PC game was on a PC jr w. external HDD running DOS version of Star Trek

NO CRACKS ON MY AGE.. IT -=WILL=- GET YOU A RED FLAG ;):D:cool:

FrohnB
09-20-2019, 05:44 PM
One of the first games I can remember playing (really young, like 4 or 5 years old), was on my Mother's computer Windows 95. It was called 'Jezzball'. Super addicting!!! It started with two balls bouncing around, and you had to eventually get the screen as "blacked out" as you could by "walling off" sections of the screen. You would click and a red and blue line would start extending to the edges of the field. Once they touched the edge, it turned into a "barrier", as long as the ball didn't touch it before it reached the edges. If you split the field down the middle with balls on one side, it would "black out" or "fill" the other half of the screen, giving you a smaller field to work with. Each level added another ball. I think I've made it to like 20 balls or something. Again, SUPER ADDICTING! Would recommend to anyone, even in this day and age.

tsbservice
09-20-2019, 06:17 PM
First and last was Heroes of Might and Magic III.
I used to play it for like 10 years and I was almost as good on this game as on copiers :cool:

mikadonovan
10-01-2019, 08:38 PM
First experience with good electronic games was the arcade. Plenty of pinball, pacman and other favorites.

Xer0615
10-09-2019, 05:03 PM
Born in 87. First exposure would have been NES, mario 1-3. Always a nintendo fan, from super nes to n64 and gamecube. 12th birthday I was gifted Warcraft 2 BNET edition and from there it was Command and Conquer, Diablo 2, Quake, and in general PC all tthe way

morgansterne
10-09-2019, 06:58 PM

I remember the first game I played was pac-man on a handheld device. I was addicted to the thing.
I don't exactly remember when it was though. I was born in 1990, and I think it was sometime before 2K came around, or maybe just after. I remember the room, and house I first played it in too.

When you were born, I’d been playing computer games for eleven years.

My stepdad had a TRS 80 model 2 in 1979 and we could load games off of a portable cassette player. Myfavoritewas an ascii only trading/pirate ship game called Taipan. It had rudimentary animation to the combat sequences.

Kimi
10-11-2019, 11:27 AM
One of the first games I can remember playing (really young, like 4 or 5 years old), was on my Mother's computer Windows 95. It was called 'Jezzball'. Super addicting!!! It started with two balls bouncing around, and you had to eventually get the screen as "blacked out" as you could by "walling off" sections of the screen. You would click and a red and blue line would start extending to the edges of the field. Once they touched the edge, it turned into a "barrier", as long as the ball didn't touch it before it reached the edges. If you split the field down the middle with balls on one side, it would "black out" or "fill" the other half of the screen, giving you a smaller field to work with. Each level added another ball. I think I've made it to like 20 balls or something. Again, SUPER ADDICTING! Would recommend to anyone, even in this day and age.

My lT classes at high school were mostly spent playing this!!

tipsgg
01-20-2023, 03:02 AM
Esports betting has become a popular way to earn money, especially around big games like CS:GO. The best esports betting reviews can help you do well in this exciting new industry, this site (https://tips.gg/betting/csgo-sites/) helps you find the right site for your needs and preferences.

tommysimon2023
02-21-2023, 06:02 AM
When I was six years old, my parents bought me a video game console for my birthday. It was my first time being exposed to games, and I was fascinated by the colorful graphics and the different characters I could control. The game was a platformer where I had to jump and run through levels to rescue a princess. I spent hours playing and discovering the game's mechanics, and I was hooked. From that moment on, I became a gamer, and I would spend every free moment playing different games and exploring new worlds. Now a days, I am playing online PC games with listening favorite astroworld songs as well.

palmariumss
04-02-2023, 03:54 PM
When I was five years old, my father gave me my first Nintendo, and to this day, I still remember how ecstatic I was. Owning a Nintendo was a dream come true, it seemed like the pinnacle of technology and entertainment. I spent countless hours playing classics like Super Mario Bros. and The Legend of Zelda. Back then, it was impossible to imagine something better than playing games on my trusty old Nintendo. But as technology advanced, so did my love for gaming. Now, with consoles like the PS 5 and games like Red Dead Redemption 2, I'm still just as passionate about gaming as I was in my youth. And with the added convenience of being able to play games on mostbet yukle (https://mostbetyukle.com/), gaming has become an even bigger part of my life.

EyesProdigy
10-17-2023, 10:42 AM
I like different shooters! As for CS:GO, it's my favorite shooter as well, offering both entertainment and skill-building. By the way for CS:GO enthusiasts, there are specific websites known for CSGO cases (https://gamble-csgo.com/case-opening-sites/) opening experiences. You can discover these platforms through curated top picks available online. Remember, combining your passion for gaming with informed decisions on betting can enhance your overall experience.
Yes, CSGO is not bad, but I like Rainbow six siege more, there is not so long goes the game and more all sorts of chips additional in the form of remote control with the camera and so on.

kronLaky
10-23-2023, 07:29 AM
When I was five years old, my father gave me my first Nintendo, and to this day, I still remember how ecstatic I was. Owning a Nintendo was a dream come true, it seemed like the pinnacle of technology and entertainment. I spent countless hours playing classics like Super Mario Bros. and The Legend of Zelda. Back then, it was impossible to imagine something better than playing games on my trusty old Nintendo. But as technology advanced, so did my love for gaming. Now, with consoles like the PS 5 and games like Red Dead Redemption 2, I'm still just as passionate about gaming as I was in my youth. And with the added convenience of being able to play games on mostbet yukle (https://mostbetyukle.com/), gaming has become an even bigger part of my life.
Nintendo yes, I had it first too, such vivid memories, good games are never forgotten

kronLaky
10-23-2023, 07:32 AM
Yes, CSGO is not bad, but I like Rainbow six siege more, there is not so long goes the game and more all sorts of chips additional in the form of remote control with the camera and so on.

I see a lot of shooter fans here, how about creating a new topic about shooters?
I would like to know who lives what, maybe we will find out something useful for ourselves

stormluisss
10-23-2023, 10:17 AM

my first game was Forza and I still live by this game, it’s great, you can say that it was in it that I understood the physics of some tricks that I could do in the real world.

eltarinkderut
10-24-2023, 07:47 AM

Oh pac-man, thank you, you unlocked memories from childhood, a great game for that time, the whole yard hung out in it. But why hide it, as an adult, I often returned to it.

eltarinkderut
10-24-2023, 07:49 AM
The first game I played was Dota, and it was very difficult, there were a lot of different functions, everything was complicated quickly, and also a bunch of different characters with different controls. But after a while it started to work out.
This is probably a new generation that doesn’t even remember how all the video games appeared. But that's not bad either. When I watch my children play, I still need to learn such dexterity from them

Custom Search