PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous Internet ISW

Custom Search

emujo
10-09-2013, 05:46 PM
Have a fleet of MFPs (423, 754) in locations that refuse to allow techs to bring anything electronic into building. No phone, laptop, camera, USB drive, etc...I need to update firmware on a machine so my only choice is Internet ISW. From what I read, I must load the firmware file on a server, then configure the MFP to access this file via FTP/HTTP. Called support and they were helpful, but had not set it up either, so I don't know which file to put on the server and what I should name it. Anyone have experience setting this up? Emujo

wseyller
10-10-2013, 01:31 AM
Yes you need only one file in the format of a TAR file. You have to make this file with the .bat file included in the firmware download.

I will give an example of the C364 just because it is one I have on my laptop right now to describe the steps accurately.

After you download the firmware extract it with 7-zip or whatever extractor software you use.

open the extracted folder and you should have the firmware folder with all the individual firmware files. In my case it is named "A5C10Y0-F000-G00-63(00)". Also you will have a "cw" folder and the .bat file. In my case it is named "mktar_zeusMLK.bat" In other models its filename will start with "mktar" but with a different suffix.

Take the entire folder "A5C10Y0-F000-G00-63(00)" and drag and drop it onto that .bat file. Soon it will create the TAR file for you with a certain file name based on your model. You must not change the name of the TAR file or the copier will disregard it.

Point the FTP to the directory with this TAR file. It will know by the filename that it is the correct firmware to use.

After the firmware is flashed the copier will reboot itself and show a friendly message that the copier has been updated, pressing ok then brings you to the main screen.

I have used this successfully on a C284 and a C353 using my laptop using a cat5 cable with FTP utility. I did this in a fiery class and the instructor mentioned it would work with just about any model since about 2004.

Also you can flash them all at the same time with all your firmware files in the same ftp directory.

emujo
10-11-2013, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the info, I did get most of this by re-reading the SM and was able to get the file made and posted on our server, but even with the correct username password, file path http://server/folder, and file name, I still get a failure to connect. Any idea as to how the server must be setup? Do I need IIS running? This is a VM slice. I have not tried FTP yet. BTW, I thought that KM had this info posted on a server somewhere and we just had to point the MFP in the correct direction, but no, it seems it must be loaded on the customers server, so yet another road block to get past. Also, do I just copy the .TAR file from the 423 firmware, or is there another step like on the 4 series to make the file? TIA Emujo

wseyller
10-12-2013, 12:29 AM
Thanks for the info, I did get most of this by re-reading the SM and was able to get the file made and posted on our server, but even with the correct username password, file path http://server/folder, and file name, I still get a failure to connect. Any idea as to how the server must be setup? Do I need IIS running? This is a VM slice. I have not tried FTP yet. BTW, I thought that KM had this info posted on a server somewhere and we just had to point the MFP in the correct direction, but no, it seems it must be loaded on the customers server, so yet another road block to get past. Also, do I just copy the .TAR file from the 423 firmware, or is there another step like on the 4 series to make the file? TIA Emujo

Don't think I can help much with the FTP server. In my case I had a laptop connected directory with using FTP Utility. FTP utility was set to a drive letter (my usb thumb drive). Also I set using an anonymous user. Its been a while so I don't really exacty what I put into copier setting. Also before this I tried a different laptop which had docrecord on it with a webclient server that uses IIS and it had conflicted with FTP utility and I never could get it to work.

You could use FTP Utility, or you could you IIS which basically allows you to setup an FTP server built into windows. You could probably even use something like Filezilla. IIS setup would be much more complicated. FTP utility is probably the easiest.

I uploaded a pdf about the procedure that may shed some light.

Some firmwares already have the firmware in TAR format so with the 423 it is ready to go.

andymfd
09-15-2014, 06:04 PM
hi, would it be posible to get a c224 to download the firmware via a http site? instead of using a ftp sever on the clinets sever?

Custom Search