PDA

View Full Version : TA 250ci ace tech needed

Custom Search

blackdog
10-10-2013, 11:34 PM
Hey, was at a customers office for a few hours today trying to resolve this issue;
Getting a void 3/4 inch wide with what I call pencil lines right down the middle of the void of a letter size copy on glass or adf, prints are awesome. This void does not move or change shape or size, always smack
down the middle. I've done all the obvious. This anomaly looks similar to a fuser finger gouge.
Box has 98k, still a baby TA.
I bet Blackcat or Venom has the answer.
Thanks

blackcat4866
10-11-2013, 12:01 AM
hmmmmm.

To recap: So prints are normal/good. Reports are normal/good. Copies from glass or DP have a void 3/4" (19mm) wide with "pencil marks". Void stays in the same place.

Clearly it's a scanning issue. I'm not too clear on what's obvious to you. Personally, I would:

1) clean all optics. I'd also remove the plastic cover that bridges the gap between the lens and CCD. From there you can inspect/clean the lens and CCD lens array. (I think this is where you'll find your problem.) Do not adjust or move the CCD in any way, unless you want additional problems to solve. I think you have enough challenges here already.
2) scan a document to my SMB folder. I'd try different DPI settings. Is the problem present?
3) reduce/enlarge. Is the problem present? If it's something optical like dirt, changes to DPI should make little difference, changes to reduction/enlargement: the anomalie should stay proportional in size with the rest of the image.
4) With power Off, I'd re-seat connectors to the CCD, scanner PWB and main PWB (be extra careful with the ribbon cables).
5) If none of that worked, I'd re-load firmware.
6) If I was still nowhere, I'd start changing parts: scanner PWB, CCD, main PWB in that order.

Did I include some of the obvious? And tell me more about these "pencil lines". Can we see a scan or photo? =^..^=

blackdog
10-11-2013, 12:40 AM
hmmmmm.

To recap: So prints are normal/good. Reports are normal/good. Copies from glass or DP have a void 3/4" (19mm) wide with "pencil marks". Void stays in the same place.

Clearly it's a scanning issue. I'm not too clear on what's obvious to you. Personally, I would:

1) clean all optics. I'd also remove the plastic cover that bridges the gap between the lens and CCD. From there you can inspect/clean the lens and CCD lens array. (I think this is where you'll find your problem.) Do not adjust or move the CCD in any way, unless you want additional problems to solve. I think you have enough challenges here already.
2) scan a document to my SMB folder. I'd try different DPI settings. Is the problem present?
3) reduce/enlarge. Is the problem present? If it's something optical like dirt, changes to DPI should make little difference, changes to reduction/enlargement: the anomalie should stay proportional in size with the rest of the image.
4) With power Off, I'd re-seat connectors to the CCD, scanner PWB and main PWB (be extra careful with the ribbon cables).
5) If none of that worked, I'd re-load firmware.
6) If I was still nowhere, I'd start changing parts: scanner PWB, CCD, main PWB in that order.

Did I include some of the obvious? And tell me more about these "pencil lines". Can we see a scan or photo? =^..^=

Obvious; Cleaned optics, checked transfer, fuser, dev & drums.
I can't picture that plastic cover but I'm sure it will pop out at me when I'm back out there. And NO I will not attempt to adjust CCD (been there/done that).
It looks like someone along the way has nicked a piece of the slit glass in corner at back of machine, but that doesn't seem to be having a negative effect.
I'm going to include some images to this thread as soon as I get to my tool bag in garage.

blackcat4866
10-11-2013, 12:43 AM
I've seen plenty of corners missing from the slit glass. As long as it will sit securely, and not snag the paper, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

blackdog
10-11-2013, 05:33 PM
I've seen plenty of corners missing from the slit glass. As long as it will sit securely, and not snag the paper, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I attached pdf images.
Cleaned lens, optics as you suggested. Wrapped it up, turned on and C3300 (WHOHA). I thought it bit the bullet but I did the connector thing on the scanner boards and it booted. whew.
Anyway check out these images one as a print and the other as a copy.
Thanks, man

blackdog
10-11-2013, 05:36 PM

I attached pdf images.
Cleaned lens, optics as you suggested. Wrapped it up, turned on and C3300 (WHOHA). I thought it bit the bullet but I did the connector thing on the scanner boards and it booted. whew.
Anyway check out these images one as a print and the other as a copy.
Thanks, man

I have no idea how that quality pdf got in there, pay no attention to it.
TA 250 pdf is the correct one.

blackcat4866
10-12-2013, 03:36 AM
The scan doesn't do it justice. Try a photo, and enlarge it. =^..^=

copymech
10-14-2013, 08:13 PM
Hey, was at a customers office for a few hours today trying to resolve this issue;
Getting a void 3/4 inch wide with what I call pencil lines right down the middle of the void of a letter size copy on glass or adf, prints are awesome. This void does not move or change shape or size, always smack
down the middle. I've done all the obvious. This anomaly looks similar to a fuser finger gouge.
Box has 98k, still a baby TA.
I bet Blackcat or Venom has the answer.
Thanks

Make sure the scanner lock isn't interferring with scanner movement.

blackdog
10-14-2013, 10:52 PM
Hey Blackcat, I'm stopping by customer in morning. Do you think a sky shot would would be more defining?
Or how about a scan to folder?
Thanks for your feedback.

blackcat4866
10-15-2013, 12:39 AM
I'd go with the SMB folder scans, and try some different scanner options. It will be interesting to see how resolution, file format, color/B&W, all affect the resulting scans. And you might get some fresh ideas.

blackdog
10-15-2013, 12:18 PM
I'd go with the SMB folder scans, and try some different scanner options. It will be interesting to see how resolution, file format, color/B&W, all affect the resulting scans. And you might get some fresh ideas.

When you say CCD Lens Array, am I missing something?
I am aware of mirrors, reflector and one lens.

darry1322
10-15-2013, 12:51 PM
Looks like it could come from shading. Make sure the shading sheet under the glass is good and you could try adjusting the shading position.

blackdog
10-15-2013, 01:48 PM
Looks like it could come from shading. Make sure the shading sheet under the glass is good and you could try adjusting the shading position.

I see the adjustment for shading, but for the life of me I can't reference the location of this sheet you speak of?

darry1322
10-15-2013, 02:07 PM
It's the white sheet glued to the original glass. Remove the original glass and flip it over. It's the white strip.

KonicaMinolta trainers would sometime cover a section with electrical tape as a troubleshooting exercise. The copier would print internally OK, but copies would have a light streak.
You wouldn't see the tape unless you removed the glass and flipped it over to see the shading strip.

blackcat4866
10-16-2013, 12:28 AM
It's the white sheet glued to the original glass. Remove the original glass and flip it over. It's the white strip.

KonicaMinolta trainers would sometime cover a section with electrical tape as a troubleshooting exercise. The copier would print internally OK, but copies would have a light streak.
You wouldn't see the tape unless you removed the glass and flipped it over to see the shading strip.

AKA: white level reference.

And there is a focusing lens (hasn't changed since the analog days) and the lens array on the face of the CCD (part of the CCD PWB).

blackdog
10-16-2013, 11:24 PM
I'm back.
Latest update; Accounts employees are razzing me but I'm a big boy and take it with a grain of salt.
As I've been looking at copies I can see text although very light. I have adjusted density to the dark side (not Darth Vader) seems to correct light void area but of course then I get a gray background.
Did a sky shot and solid black, go figure. I am leaning towards something dirty that I am missing. Adjusted that shading (063) item with negative results.
I cleaned "focus lens" but still can't put my hands on ccd lens. Do they look like a conventional lens? Or am I loosing it.
Ever had lens scanner unit out of unit? If so, is it a bear?

blackcat4866
10-17-2013, 12:19 AM
I cleaned "focus lens" but still can't put my hands on ccd lens. Do they look like a conventional lens? Or am I loosing it.
Ever had lens scanner unit out of unit? If so, is it a bear?

It's the face of the CCD PWB. I doesn't really look like anything but a piece of glass across the sensor array.

Have you located and checked the white level reference?

It's preferable to leave the CCD in place whenever possible. When you have to remove it, do not touch any painted screws. There is usually two or three alignment pins in the bottom of the scanner pan, and the screws are usually shoulder screws with a leaf spring or wave washer to apply spring pressure, and screw down into the scanner pan. Never remove the screws mounting the CCD lens array to the CCD assy. That PWB is factory adjusted, and nearly impossible to get back in the correct position.

To give you some idea what I'm talking about. A co-worker mistaken removed the CCD PWB on a Mita fax. It became my job to re-focus the machine. By trial and error it took me 4 hours before I got any image at all, then another two hours to get a reasonably good focus. Save yourself some heartache. Think about what screws you remove. =^..^=

Custom Search