PDA

View Full Version : Scan to email "connection timeout"

Custom Search

SmellsHot
10-25-2013, 11:06 PM
Scan to email not working. Get a "connection timeout" error, about 3 seconds after the original is scanned. Happens everytime. I tried setting up scan to yahoo. Same thing. The timeout is set to 60 secs, but errors after only 3.....Very weird. Scan to smb works fine. Can ping everything as well....
Anyone see anything like this?

Mr Spock
10-25-2013, 11:09 PM
job list > job details > scan(or send) > job history > highlight failed job > details > post error message and/or code.

This could be about 100 different items from a misspelled email server to blocked firewall to improperly setup mail account.

wseyller
10-26-2013, 02:00 AM
What model is this?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

SmellsHot
10-26-2013, 01:19 PM
Mr Spock....that is the detailed error "connection timeout" I've tried a few email servers so it's nothing with those.....

It's on a biz 552

Forgot to mention they have another 552 and a biz 600 that work fine with scan to email. No settings are different between the two 552's........

wseyller
10-26-2013, 04:09 PM
I wonder if firmware and soft switches between the two 552s are the same. Then I would set TCP/IP to dhcp and auto obtain network settings and try again with a different IP address. Make sure DNS is set correct. I always add googles DNS settings in addition to DNS servers on your lan if possible. After that I would backup address book and etc then factory reset the copier data.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

RRodgers
10-26-2013, 06:14 PM
Both copiers on the same firmware? Also, for giggles try a new cable.

SmellsHot
10-27-2013, 01:45 PM
I Reflashed machine with current firmware, used a different cable. This machine was working and all of a sudden stopped. I'm thinking something to do with HDD or memory.........

pepper38_cnd
10-27-2013, 03:04 PM
Scan to email failing is rarely the fault of the machine. Do they host their own email server? If so have their IT checked the log files for the server? Do they use their ISP's email server? If so have they set up an individual account for this MFP, and entered the correct login? Have you done a Packet Capture to see the network flow when the machine request and email connection?

SmellsHot
10-28-2013, 11:45 AM
I've tried a few different email servers and none work, so I really don't think it has anything to do with their email server........

pepper38_cnd
10-29-2013, 01:12 PM
Obviously you believe you have a hardware issue. I still say the best way to trouble shoot Scan to email issues is to look at the network side. Do a packet capture, this will usually show you the problem. You say you have tried multiple email servers so it must be a hardware issue. As Mr Spock pointed out to begin with there are 100 things, if DNS is wrong, gateway is wrong, from address is misspelled, or firewall is blocking. You are not going to connect to any server on the other side of the router.

If you cannot do a packet capture start with the basics:
1. Can you Ping the email server from the machine?
2. Is there an Email Account set up specifically for that machine? If not set one up.
3. You say you have another of the same model on site, if you take the non working one off the network and change the ip address of the working machine to that of the non working machine can you still scan?
4. How are the Ip Addresses assigned on this network are they static outside the realm of the DHCP or are they DHCP assigned and reserved? Note if they are reserved the above step won't work!
5. If you are absolutely convinced that it is a hardware issue. Then back up everything in the machine and reset the NIC then reconfigure and test.

habik
10-29-2013, 03:26 PM
Obviously you believe you have a hardware issue. I still say the best way to trouble shoot Scan to email issues is to look at the network side. Do a packet capture, this will usually show you the problem. You say you have tried multiple email servers so it must be a hardware issue. As Mr Spock pointed out to begin with there are 100 things, if DNS is wrong, gateway is wrong, from address is misspelled, or firewall is blocking. You are not going to connect to any server on the other side of the router.

If you cannot do a packet capture start with the basics:
1. Can you Ping the email server from the machine?
2. Is there an Email Account set up specifically for that machine? If not set one up.
3. You say you have another of the same model on site, if you take the non working one off the network and change the ip address of the working machine to that of the non working machine can you still scan?
4. How are the Ip Addresses assigned on this network are they static outside the realm of the DHCP or are they DHCP assigned and reserved? Note if they are reserved the above step won't work!
5. If you are absolutely convinced that it is a hardware issue. Then back up everything in the machine and reset the NIC then reconfigure and test.

I second the option 2. That is usually what was the cause of my connection time out.

dallas
10-31-2013, 02:34 PM
A connection timeout can be happen, when the MTU size is smaller than the normal ethernet size, like a VPN connection.
The IP packet fragmentation is a fixed size on MFP.
You need a special FW to allow IP packet fragmentation. GCA-F9.

SmellsHot
11-01-2013, 12:36 PM
I can ping everything all day everyday. It prints and scans to SMB just fine. I've pushed the machine down the hall to the where the working one sits and used it's network info.....Still doesn't work.
I'm leaning towards a memory issue. I disabled the HDD and the machine just sat there saying "transferring"...... After 15minutes I turned the machine off. I didn't think an HDD would be required for scan to email...but you never know. I updated firmware and formatted HDD....still no change.
I'm starting with the HDD and SSD first. I'll let you know how it goes.....
Thanks for all the info guys!

pepper38_cnd
11-01-2013, 01:20 PM
"I can ping everthing all day " does that mean ? "Yes I can Ping the Email server from the machine it self" ( Admin mode -> Network -> Details ->Ping-> enter SMTP Server Name-> Response? ) You have been asked some speciffic questions and always give a non specific answear! Giving accurate answears can help others help you. If you simply keep telling us what you think it must be, then why ask? What happened when you gave the working machine the IP adress of the non working machine? What happened after you did a full Nic Initialization? Your HDD is used for all scanning including SMB and is not likely the source of an email only issue. The fact that it prints and scans SMB, is fine but those functions only use the local network. You did not answear the question. "Is the email server on the local network or not?" My thought is not! If not that is the difference and that is what you should be looking at! Why can the machine not access the email server outside the Local Network? Can the machine reach any server outside the local network? From the machine try PING www.yahoo.com (http://www.yahoo.com) . Can you reach that?

If you must fix your problem by changing somthing at the machine. If what I think is correct, your problem will be solved by changing the MFP Board ( Not that there is anything wrong with your MFP Board ). But then the network will accept it again.

SmellsHot
11-01-2013, 01:47 PM
pepper 38....

Not trying to be vague. Thought I was answering everything that was asked.... I can literally ping anything from the machine. There email server, yahoo, yahoo's email server, DNS. Their email server is off site. And I get the Same result when machine's network settings were switched with other (working)machines settings. I don't think an HDD is necessary for scanning. The machine has a 2gb SSD and I know I've disabled HDD's in the past (for other reasons) and scanning still worked. I throw out what I think it is, because I'm hoping someone else might've seen this before......
We are all here to share data and info.....Anything to keep a leg up in the field......That and tech support doesn't have a solution for me either....LOL!

emujo
11-01-2013, 06:14 PM
Pinging an address does not really help in determining mail issues. SMTP uses different ports, so although a ping will tell you if you have a physical connection to the mail server, the telnet command would be a better choice. Now you can determine if you can access the mail server from the same ports the MFP is utilizing to communicate. Regardless of what the customer says, if I can't telnet into port 465 at smtp.gmail.com with my laptop connected to their network, then I know they are blocking me and the MFP won't have any more luck. Emujo

blaze2000
11-03-2013, 07:50 PM
I think Emujo on the correct path, definitely try telnet. Furthermore, although you probably have, get involved with the clients IT. Find out if they are preventing the machine from accessing the system.

Can you access gmail from the clients office? If so then create a gmail account and setup the machine to use gmail... did it work on gmail? If no then try to access gmail from a pc or your laptop, can you access gmail from a pc? If yes then the machine IS at fault somehow.

If the machine can scan to email via gmail then the corporate email system is blocking the device, perhaps they have to specifically allow each device access, I've seen it often. Also depending on the version of Exchange server, if thats what they are using they may have to create another relay specifically for that machine.

Please give an update.

RRodgers
11-05-2013, 02:15 PM
This might have already been asked but I'll ask it anyways, are the date and time correct on the machine?

SmellsHot
11-06-2013, 03:18 AM
Got it fixed. It was something to do with the memory. I replaced hdd and mems and it started working. Crazy. Thanks for all the suggestions

Custom Search