PDA

View Full Version : C550 Fax sends, won't receive

Custom Search

Motormount
01-08-2014, 12:44 AM
We just moved this C550 upstairs to make room for a C552DS. I checked everything I can think of, but no luck.
It was working before the move, and the line it is plugged into now had a working fax on it. I've tried three different line cords, even tested one with the existing fax. Also tried another extension.
Reinitialized the fax. C550 firmware is GP4-R6. I swapped the FK-502 with the C552 and it works in that location.
It will send fine, but doesn't ring (forgot to check if ringer was silenced) or answer incoming. Verified (3x) I had it in LINE, not TEL. Even tried TEL. If I press "on hook" I get dial tone, can even pickup on incoming call. Auto RX is on.
Strange setup at this client: all outgoing calls display main number in caller ID, but I can direct-dial to extensions and fax. But that's the same as the downstairs machine, and the existing fax upstairs.
Any suggestions before I have the client get the phone people on it?
Thanks.

wseyller
01-08-2014, 12:49 AM
Hook a phone up to this line and call your cell phone. Does it show the same number that your faxing to on you cell's caller ID. Sorry if that is a dumb question but just covering the basics.

Motormount
01-08-2014, 12:59 AM
Hook a phone up to this line and call your cell phone. Does it show the same number that your faxing to on you cell's caller ID. Sorry if that is a dumb question but just covering the basics.

Did that and, like I said, it shows the main number. First thing I did, actually, and thought I had found the problem: wrong number. However, that is the same thing I get from the downstairs C552 and the existing fax upstairs - the main number. That's the way this machine was connected before we moved it. Also, if I call the fax number from my cell, I can pick up the line when I press "Off Hook" on the machine. The call is there, the line is live, it's just the machine doesn't pickup automatically. I'm thinking the ring is weak; too weak for this old C550 anyway.
Oh, and I did call the number showing in Caller ID - got the receptionist.

wseyller
01-08-2014, 02:24 AM
That sounds crazy. I once responded to a bizhub 250 that could send but not received. Copier wasn't moved or anything. It is located in a large medical office. It also showed the main number on the caller ID. That is all I remember from this call but I told the staff on that floor that maybe the lines got crossed, mixed up or something. I instructed them to have there phone people check it out and I never heard from them again.

Motormount
01-08-2014, 02:46 AM
It really sounds like a phone line problem to me too. However, I just found some more things on the KM knowledgebase to try. I checked the Kb from my phone while on site, and didn't get a thing - absolutely nothing - related to fax, but now that I'm on a PC there's plenty. Now I know to use my laptop.
What use is the phone app if it lies?

KenB
01-08-2014, 03:26 AM
Just a possibility that the ring voltage is too low.

As I recall, it should be at least 90 volts AC.

I had this issue when we replaced a bunch of Canons with new Ricohs some years back. The weird part was that some model Ricohs were fine, others not so much.

It was only about 7 or 8 volts too low, but that was all it took.

HuronMan
01-08-2014, 01:12 PM
Sounds like its on a voip system and the line is being routed threw the switchboard. Have their IT dept reroute the line and put the recommended settings in the techrep fax settings for voip.

Custom Search