PDA

View Full Version : KM Bizhub 423 won't print, can see on network just fine

Custom Search

cgallery
01-08-2014, 09:41 PM
Okay, I had a client (I do networking) call me and say their Bizhub 423 stopped printing. They said the copier tech had been out, and the copier tech said the problem is "with the network."

So I remote into a machine and I can ping the printer. Good, so I go into IE and type the printer's IP address, and the printer's built-in web server comes right up. So I do some research and find the default password for this thing, and I can log in as administrator.

So I delete all the drivers for this printer on this computer, and the ports that have been added, and then I add the printer's port again. I'm told the machine doesn't recognize the printer server, so I pick generic. I then downloaded the Bizhub 423 PCL drivers (423_series_win8_pcl_ps_fax_xps_v1300.zip) from the Konica Minolta site, and install them. And when I print a test page, Windows can't send it and eventually tells me it was unable to print.

So I talk to the copier tech and he says he has seen this before. I'm bewildered, so I say, "well good, what fixed it before, we will just do that." But he really has no idea. Then he says he was able to connect his notebook directly to the printer (w/ a crossover cable) and print to the printer, "so it is a network problem."

One thing that may help is, I couldn't log into the printer's Admin page until I deleted that print job that was stuck in the Queue. When I'd try, I was told I could not log in while a job was in progress. As soon as I deleted that job, I was able to log in.

Any ideas?

emujo
01-09-2014, 12:44 AM
1st thing I would ask for is the test page that he says printed, these MFPs don't need a x-over cable. Go into the driver properties, configure tab, and click the "obtain device information" icon. Do you get an error? if yes, go to the icon below and uncheck auto, then add the printers IP and try the 1st icon again. Let us know what you get. Emujo

blackcat4866
01-09-2014, 01:23 AM
You're tech is not trying to be a jerk. He's probably got to bill you for IT work. The definition of a functional MFP is: it can print via crossover from the tech's laptop. I do exactly the same thing. Once the problem is narrowed down to covered-by-service-contract versus billable, do you want to pay for IT work? My guess is no, since your here looking for free advice.

Now then, perhaps you've got a duplicate IP? As a simple test I like to use the LPR Jar utility to send a print-to-file across your network to the printer. LPR Jar does not use port 9100 or your print driver at all, so if it prints that confirms 1) that your printer works and 2) that something is blocking communication on port 9100. =^..^=

cgallery
01-13-2014, 04:43 PM
Well I went out and visited today and tried to duplicate his test results. I could not get the printer to print anything when I was directly connected to my notebook. I could still ping it and access the built-in web server, but that was all.

So I pulled the power cable, did a ten count, and powered it back up.

It still wasn't printing after a minute or two so I went to disconnect my network cable and voila it started to print the test page from my notebook. So either it took longer to start accepting print jobs after the power cycle, or I jostled something near the printer's network jack when I started to disconnect things.

So I reconnected the original cable from the office network to the printer, and it started running all the print jobs in the queues on the network.

But now the fax is apparently not working.

So I'm going to say that the printer is experiencing some difficulties, or is just too temperamental.

blackcat4866
01-13-2014, 05:38 PM
The facsimilie scanning from the MFP, or network fax? =^..^=

Custom Search