PDA

View Full Version : Bizhub 600 Scan to E-mail

Custom Search

Clabus
03-17-2008, 03:38 PM
I`ve got a Bizhub 600 that is giving me a "Server Connect error" when trying to scan to E-mail. My Firmware version is on ver.31 thus up to date.
The MC is printing fine. I`ve got serveral other B350 and B250 machines on the same network with the exact same SMTP address and mail configuration and they are working fine. HELP !!!

DallasTech
04-01-2008, 10:44 PM
Make sure your DNS servers are set correctly. If possible try eliminating the DNS servers, by just hitting the IP of the SMTP server.

iMind
04-01-2008, 11:01 PM
Make sure your DNS servers are set correctly. If possible try eliminating the DNS servers, by just hitting the IP of the SMTP server.yes, I think that too, taking to much time to resolve names, try inputing server IP address. ricoh sometimes does the same, dependes on the network.

DallasTech
04-01-2008, 11:05 PM
I have seen a server connect error caused by authentication issues as well. It's not a very descriptive error.

iMind
04-01-2008, 11:23 PM
I have seen a server connect error caused by authentication issues as well. It's not a very descriptive error. he asked for help two weeks ago, certainly his solved his problem.....LOL

DallasTech
04-02-2008, 02:10 PM
The next person might not have to ask the question and just use the search function.

Scott_Lewis
04-03-2008, 01:25 PM
I have seen a server connect error caused by authentication issues as well. It's not a very descriptive error.

We are setting up a bunch of copiers to use a common access card authenticate onto the network for scanning. This is a new device that Ricoh is just deploying and is not quite ready for prime time, thus the reason the Ricoh tech was in town.

I mentioned to him that some of the error messages displayed and possibly recorded by the copiers are not very descriptive. He said that was by design. In our discussion it became clear to me why the dang messages are so unhelpful at times.

The bottom line is this is for security purposes. If you make the error too descriptive, then unauthorized users can (for example) too easily figure out what part of a user name/ password combination is incorrect and thus narrow down his focus in his quest to crack a username password combo into a network.

DallasTech
04-03-2008, 03:01 PM
We are setting up a bunch of copiers to use a common access card authenticate onto the network for scanning. This is a new device that Ricoh is just deploying and is not quite ready for prime time, thus the reason the Ricoh tech was in town.

I mentioned to him that some of the error messages displayed and possibly recorded by the copiers are not very descriptive. He said that was by design. In our discussion it became clear to me why the dang messages are so unhelpful at times.

The bottom line is this is for security purposes. If you make the error too descriptive, then unauthorized users can (for example) too easily figure out what part of a user name/ password combination is incorrect and thus narrow down his focus in his quest to crack a username password combo into a network.

I don't really agree with that too much, but I have a reason. First, if I was to try to gain unauthorized access to a network, I wouldn't use a copier. Second, passwords on these machines are always encrypted on these machines, so they couldn't get the password if they wanted. The username is going to be easy to find other ways. Third, if a user has access to a copier and they wanted to gain access to the network, they probably have the same access to a computer. A computer will give you a more detailed error and would be a "hacker's" preferred tool anyways.

When it comes down to it, the only way for an unauthorized user to gain access is to crack the password. If there is a way to extract the passwords off a bizhub 600, I need to know that trick.

The server connect error is almost like a customer saying "it don't work". You could have a few problems: DNS servers, smtp server name/address error, username problem, password problem, no smtp authentication, SSL encryption, incorrect sending protocol, firewall blocking ports, internet provider blocking ports, among a few others.

It would help greatly if they could provide a little more information about the actual "server connect error", like where it failed to connect.

Am I wrong?

iMind
04-03-2008, 05:33 PM
I don't really agree with that too much, but I have a reason. First, if I was to try to gain unauthorized access to a network, I wouldn't use a copier. Second, passwords on these machines are always encrypted on these machines, so they couldn't get the password if they wanted. The username is going to be easy to find other ways. Third, if a user has access to a copier and they wanted to gain access to the network, they probably have the same access to a computer. A computer will give you a more detailed error and would be a "hacker's" preferred tool anyways.

When it comes down to it, the only way for an unauthorized user to gain access is to crack the password. If there is a way to extract the passwords off a bizhub 600, I need to know that trick.

The server connect error is almost like a customer saying "it don't work". You could have a few problems: DNS servers, smtp server name/address error, username problem, password problem, no smtp authentication, SSL encryption, incorrect sending protocol, firewall blocking ports, internet provider blocking ports, among a few others.

It would help greatly if they could provide a little more information about the actual "server connect error", like where it failed to connect.

Am I wrong?I completely agree with you, so many things could have failed.

NotByChoice
04-03-2008, 05:47 PM
There have been instances where copiers have been hacked. Just google "printer hacking"

But the reason that the error messages are vague is so that the customer will have to call a tech. They say this is so that the user doesn't try to fix it themselves it damage the device more but I think it's so that they make more money.

Scott_Lewis
04-12-2008, 10:34 PM

Am I wrong?

You can disagree with the philosophy of the vagueness of the error message all you want. That isn't going to change the desire for it from the marketing side of things.

While I might like to have a more descriptive error message, even service techs are not supposed to know the inner details of things like passwords.

When all else fails, ethereal tells all. :):):)
And btw, e-mail passwords are in clear text by default. SMB passwords are another story.

Custom Search