PDA

View Full Version : C650 P-21 and Failing Yellow Drums (3 now)

Custom Search

methogod
01-18-2014, 06:01 AM
Machine has some life left, about 650K but we have some that have gone over 2m....

P-21 states to repalce HV2 and clean and or replace IDC sensors.

anyone want to suggest which to do first...

I have spare of both, but i would like to stop wasting drums... I have a working C451 that i can swap consumables with and a parts machine C550 that was never put in service but used for parts.

First it seemed like the Y- toner hopper was not working correctly, some packing and yellows being off, so we swapped an entire assembly, but this is now the 3 drum in a row to fail less then 1/3 in to its life. So back to the solutions...

I get dropping yelllow toner at the bottom of 8.5x11 sheets, get's heavier as you run more volume. HV2 is my guess any way to be sure...

thanks,

solidzdawg
01-18-2014, 06:16 AM
HV2 being that it provides the voltage to all of the IU's------ wouldnt it cause issues on the other drums if that was the malfunctioning part?

Just thinking out loud, im eager to see what the Konica Masters have to say =)

EarthKmTech
01-18-2014, 12:35 PM
Hv2 does 1st + second transfer but most importantly, and why its mentioned is that it also provides belt cleaning brush high voltage and is why its mentioned.

if the belt does not clean properly self adjustment cannot be performed, ever. The p-code will be persistant.

Considering your destroying yellow IU's constantly, i would be more suspicious of the transfer belt and the black imaging unit.

Check the colour of the crap contained in the yellow charge unit - brown = failing belt, black = dev tracking from failing black iu.

methogod
01-19-2014, 09:25 AM
I get your idea, to check the charging unit, but these IU are all in 1 units, not separate units like the newer machines. I am sorry but where do i look, everything looks super clean, under the black unit is all just a little black toner, not dv, yellow still have DV in it.

I guess i am confused why this keeps happening, so i would replace all 4 IU and the belt, and this happens again, what would you look to next?

Well here is what i did over the weekend...

Pulled the belt from the C650, and the cleaning section which i excepted to be heavy with yellow DV, and it was not, the bellt had a little yellow at the very front, right where it drops. Otherwise it looked half decent, like any 1/3 life used up belt.

Cleaned up the belt, and the cleaning section. Pulled the IDC registration sensor Assy and that was dirty, has never been cleaned that i know of, cleaned the sensors and everything.

Black IU looks good, I should add that i did have a black IU fail in the last 6 months, but it was at 80% life, starting making a few rouge marks, entire point of the C650 is for business color ONLY and high quality B&W.

My concern is i can quickly spend $500 on this machine and get zero return - or i can replace with a low meter C6501/C7000...

but i do love the speed of the warm up of the smaller machines, i would love to get this C650 working even if i have to put the C451 to bed to do it. I do have a parts C550 that down to bare bones. but may provide useful.

i doubt it was the IDCs but ill put it back and see if the P-21 goes away with a borrow yellow unit. if it doesnt then ill try a new black IU and BELT.

EarthKmTech
01-19-2014, 11:54 PM
pull out the blue cleaning handle all the way from the yellow imaging unit and shine a flashlight into the opening under the charging unit. look at the grid underside particulaly at the ends. This will reveal the cause of the yellow IU failing.

methogod
01-20-2014, 05:27 AM
Looks like just a bit of yellow toner, just a little brown toner under the IU but not in it... take a look at the photos...

does the yellow IU have anything that is independent of the other 4 colors...
I know toner hoppers motors are shared, and hoppers are independent but the toner hopper unit was replaced the last time this happened.

So i wonder if its something on the YELLOW side only.

Here are pic's of the failed IU and belt and the unit...

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/k2tw2mjeynpzzpk/CCZA1obVGB

EarthKmTech
01-20-2014, 06:16 AM
If it were me, I'd be cleaning that machine out and replacing the black iu, the belt and roller and the yellow iu again.

that belt and the black IU look very sad indeed.

methogod
01-20-2014, 11:01 AM
That was the yellow IU, you want to see the black IU?

PeterG
01-20-2014, 11:54 PM
We had a C451 that did this. We never did find the problem. Tech support told us to clean out the suction ducts & filters, no change.
Changed Belt,all iu's, checked HV. Eventually scrapped the machine.
Very satisfying seeing it go in the scrap.

methogod
01-21-2014, 12:43 AM
yea, may be time.

thanks - think you told me what i already knew.

Custom Search