PDA

View Full Version : Whats the difference between a C451 fuser and a C452 fuser, Anyone know?

Custom Search

mitchl
01-20-2014, 08:02 PM
Has anyone figured out if theres a major difference between the 2 fuser units? I dont have a sample of both to compare and the question came up today. I know their both a POS, noisy and dont last close to estimated life but does anyone know specifically what changes were made if any?

Mr Spock
01-21-2014, 12:47 AM
Biggest difference is which side the plug is on. One is left side of the fuser and the Other is on the right side...

EarthKmTech
01-21-2014, 11:48 AM
I have been tempted to rebuild a c452 fusing unit when they are frequently on backorder with no eta using a new c451 fuser as a donor, but i seem to recall someone saying the rollers are different.

emujo
01-21-2014, 01:45 PM
And if I'm correct, the 450 had a fuse to show replaced, the 452 is reset through service mode. Emujo

mitchl
01-21-2014, 04:16 PM
I have been tempted to rebuild a c452 fusing unit when they are frequently on backorder with no eta using a new c451 fuser as a donor, but i seem to recall someone saying the rollers are different.
Thanks for the replies guys, I ran across someone in Russia selling replacement rollers and they said they fit both the 451 and the 452 so who knows with out tearing 2 units down and comparing. I cant believe that they went to the trouble of moving the connector and still used most of the 451 noisy, crap fuser parts. WTF is wrong with them.

Synaux
01-21-2014, 04:45 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, I ran across someone in Russia selling replacement rollers and they said they fit both the 451 and the 452 so who knows with out tearing 2 units down and comparing. I cant believe that they went to the trouble of moving the connector and still used most of the 451 noisy, crap fuser parts. WTF is wrong with them.

Dunno, but I will hold one of each back before trashing and compare someday.

I kind of like the noise the generate, it lets me know that about a dozen things before I even get a chance to see the machine--and I cant be the only one who plays a recording of an idle c451 to soothe me to sleep at night. :p

There are a few bulletins regarding fuser noises: 7677, 8215, 7676, 5947 and probably a few more.

mitchl
01-21-2014, 05:59 PM
Dunno, but I will hold one of each back before trashing and compare someday.

I kind of like the noise the generate, it lets me know that about a dozen things before I even get a chance to see the machine--and I cant be the only one who plays a recording of an idle c451 to soothe me to sleep at night. :p

There are a few bulletins regarding fuser noises: 7677, 8215, 7676, 5947 and probably a few more.
LMAO a fuser lullaby, oh unfortunately I'm all to aware of the ridiculous fuser mods, sometimes you just want to send the customer some ear plugs as a fix!

Taminol
01-21-2014, 06:50 PM
I know that sound!

We recently had a brand spanking new C452 fusing unit start squeaking at switch on.
Spoke to KM about warrantying it. They said that they can't warranty it because of 'that noise' and directed me to the How To Fix Squeaking Fuser Units C451 C452 booklet!
It's gotta be almost 20 pages long!

mitchl
01-21-2014, 07:26 PM
I know that sound!

We recently had a brand spanking new C452 fusing unit start squeaking at switch on.
Spoke to KM about warrantying it. They said that they can't warranty it because of 'that noise' and directed me to the How To Fix Squeaking Fuser Units C451 C452 booklet!
Its actually pretty cheesy(cheap) of KM to not fix the very apparent problems with this fuser and its drive.

Synaux
01-21-2014, 07:58 PM
Its actually pretty cheesy(cheap) of KM to not fix the very apparent problems with this fuser and its drive.

Agreed...
Although, someone told me that the newer fusers for these models are a modified revision, but I never verified this.

mitchl
01-21-2014, 08:39 PM
Agreed...
Although, someone told me that the newer fusers for these models are a modified revision, but I never verified this.
Theyve tried to fix it through mods(lots of them) but have failed miserably.

Albonline
01-21-2014, 09:12 PM
Has anyone figured out if theres a major difference between the 2 fuser units? I dont have a sample of both to compare and the question came up today. I know their both a POS, noisy and dont last close to estimated life but does anyone know specifically what changes were made if any?

452-451=1

EarthKmTech
01-21-2014, 10:06 PM
Arguing with the Japanese design decisions is similar to arguing with a woman. You are wrong by default even if they arent correct, you're still wrong - point that out and they just give you the silent treatment, and you're still wrong anyway.

Don't even bother.

Konicoz
01-25-2014, 08:24 AM
C451 fuser standby noise lullaby - aaaaarg! hate that noise

serginho_vl
03-01-2015, 01:35 PM
I know that sound!

Could you please upload here a copy of that booklet?
Thanks a lot!

mitchl
03-02-2015, 03:37 PM
Could you please upload here a copy of that booklet?
Thanks a lot!
Wont help, you can shut it up for the short term but thats about it............. It actually better to upgrade your customer bullshit skills and attack the problem that way as trying to make them noise free is not an option.

serginho_vl
03-02-2015, 04:27 PM
I want to at least try and fix it for the time being. The power save and sleep timers were set to high. I've set power save at 10 min and sleep at 15 min, but it was too late, the squeak is there, you can hear it until it goes into sleep mode.

leonardob
03-02-2015, 04:45 PM

As far as I can find out the C451 and C452 use the same fuser roller )belt) but different pressure Roller , .... Never done the C452 , but many C451 ... no problem when changing all the parts

Fuser Belt Japan

Lower Sleeved Roller

Fuser Cleaning Roller

Fuser Cleaning Brush Roller

Fuser Drive Gear 24T

Cost .. a bit over $140

Good luck

mitchl
03-02-2015, 05:12 PM
As far as I can find out the C451 and C452 use the same fuser roller )belt) but different pressure Roller , .... Never done the C452 , but many C451 ... no problem when changing all the parts

Fuser Belt Japan

Lower Sleeved Roller

Fuser Cleaning Roller

Fuser Drive Gear 24T

Cost .. a bit over $140

Good luck

Yup no problem replacing parts except there not the ones causing the various noises that come from this POS. Youd figure after 3 distinct models that they would have come up with something but thats not the case. I've heard that if you can put your hands on a lube called Dry Serf that it helps some but the noises always return at some point.

Dougtech
03-10-2015, 03:47 PM
My squeaky idle noises haven't been the fuser, but always the paper exit guide located on the upper part of right door and eject drive section above the fuser (rear side). After cleaning, lubing or replacing gears (often these get loose on eject drive), taking paper exit apart and cleaning/lubing all rollers, shafts, and bushings...

No more noises.

mitchl
03-10-2015, 03:54 PM
My squeaky idle noises haven't been the fuser, but always the paper exit guide located on the upper part of right door and eject drive section above the fuser (rear side). After cleaning, lubing or replacing gears (often these get loose on eject drive), taking paper exit apart and cleaning/lubing all rollers, shafts, and bushings...

No more noises.
Seems like your the exception not the norm.

Konicoz
03-11-2015, 06:38 AM
2 new fusers - fuser drive assy and exit drive assy - half a barrel of oil all over exit and transport rollers and 4 hours later - still noise.....aaaaarg!
next part I order is a grenade......

907tec
03-11-2015, 08:22 PM
I've had mixed results with the KM suggested Dry-Surf and MulTemp Grease FF-RM used on 6501's. Not sure if it's still possible, but KM was giving out 4-5 bottles per qualified tech under an FOC program. I loaded up as much as they would let me, cause that stuff is like $80 for a thimble-full.

My process is this:

Remove fuser drive assembly.
Remove door switchback/exit assembly.
Remove fuser rotation assembly.
Remove paper exit assembly above fuser.
Remove eject drive assembly.

Take every single gear, shaft, bearing, one-way, collar, etc off of the drive assembly. Clean EVERYTHING thoroughly, polishing shafts with 2000grit sand paper or similar when necessary (esp. where one-ways have buffed the shaft). Replace any plastic collars that show wear of any kind, several of them are known to get wallowed-out, allowing for extra play in the shaft. If you have DrySurf, either paint it on to the contact points of moving parts, or dunk the entire piece in a small cup filled with the DrySurf. Coat it good, and don't rub it off with your fingers when reassembling. Rinse out any one-ways and bearings (I use lighter fluid, but pick your own poison).

With the door exit/switchback assembly removed from machine, take out all the plastic idle rollers. Clean the idler rollers thoroughly, including the hole in the center where the shaft is inserted. Clean and buff the shaft, painting on DrySurf where the idler's will sit.

Remove rotation assembly, remove metal actuator arm (careful not to lose the tiny washer. After cleaning everything from this assembly, dunk the actuator arm in DrySurf and coat well. Reassemble.

With the exit assembly (machine side) removed, do the same procedure: take out all idlers and idler shafts, clean them, apply DrySurf, and reassemble.

For the eject drive assembly...they seem to wear out super quick. If there is much of any play in the white gears, I like to replace it. If you don't have one available, take all the gears apart, clean the hardened grease residue, reassemble and reapply high-temp white grease.

Doing it this way isn't quick. The actual time spent disassembling the machine is relatively short compared to the time you should spend cleaning. Being meticulous while cleaning is the key here.

I'm not gonna say this works 100% of the time, but I've had pretty good success when I have the time to do it right.

mdtrinh
12-15-2016, 06:13 AM
Do you have part number for items in below, and where to order them?
Thanks in advance.

Fuser Belt Japan

Lower Sleeved Roller

Fuser Cleaning Roller

Fuser Drive Gear 24T

Cost .. a bit over $140

Good luck

CraigW
02-01-2017, 06:57 PM
We have sent more the 1 fuser back for noise under YPP from the 4 series. (noise IS from fuser, and not the drive portion)

Tech Helpdesk
02-03-2017, 03:49 PM
About £100 !!!!!!!! Daylight robbery

AjitN
02-06-2017, 03:37 PM
[QUOTE=907tec;462160]
I fully agree with you taht if we work sooooo much it will help.
BUT main question is WHY WE NEED TO WORK SO MUCH WHEN WE ARE PAYING AND REPLACING COMPLETE UNIT?

This is totally unreasonable & we all should, actually must protest to KM for delivering us such parts.

As far asc KM they may get many engineers OR dealers but its we who will have hit from our customers for bad service.

I think they just treat us as nobody or ???

Regards

907tec
02-06-2017, 07:06 PM
Well, they managed to "kick the can" down the road long enough to hit obsolescence. Bizhub C550 hit End-Of-Life in December of 2016, C451 is set to expire in September of 2017. These machines aren't going to be getting anything but louder over the coming years...

Custom Search