PDA

View Full Version : C654e J17-30

Custom Search

Phrag
02-04-2014, 06:37 AM
Hi Everyone,

Got a machine that's "jamming" in the tray 3/4 horizontal transport section. Doesn't jam for me, but they seem to find it happens to them a lot. The jam code is J17-30, and I know it points to that area, as the machine and the service manual says so.

It's had new rollers, and tested quite thoroughly by me. I've run so much through it, but nothing happens. I've had a look at everything there, but everything seems OK. Nothing's stuck, or sticky, nor is it seized or has any burs anywhere, nor is anything sticking up where it shouldn't.

I'm just wondering whether there was a bulletin out on this or not. I have a feeling there was, but for the life of me, I can't seem to find it anywhere. I think I remember seeing a solution or bulletin where they added some pads to help that tray 3 exit actuator (on entry to the horizontal transport unit) activate the sensor correctly.

Can anyone point me in the right direction. I've felt I've looked everywhere. CSES can't seem to find anything for me.

xscotty1990
02-04-2014, 03:29 PM
Hi Phrag,

you`re right. There was a modification for the exit sensor of tray 3, but this was on bizhub c 452 and stuff.

17-30 says there is a jam in the horizontal section. Did you checked the sensor in the horizontal section?
Also check that damn clutches behind the horizontal section. We ve had a few broken.

Hope this helps,

Scotty

copier tech
02-04-2014, 07:18 PM
Find out if it only jams in the morning, could be a poor quality or damp paper issue

Phrag
02-04-2014, 11:30 PM
Find out if it only jams in the morning, could be a poor quality or damp paper issue

That did come to mind. We've had a number of those recently in our humid weather, in conjunction with all the recent rains and cyclones we've had.

But nevertheless, I hate saying to the customer it's damp paper, and leaving without doing anything.

I'm heading back today. I'll have a look the the sensor above the horizontal transport. I completely forgot there was one hiding up there.

copier tech
02-05-2014, 08:05 AM
Yes I know it's too easy to blame paper.

In the past i have supplied the customer with a box of quality paper for trial, 99% of the time that sorts out the issues & the customer can't argue with the evidence!

solidzdawg
02-05-2014, 08:13 AM
17-30 specific tray 3 jams had a Special FW on the C452-c552, so forth series..

But here is what you do to fix these jams and related tray 3 jams...

The feed sensor in the tray 3 Feed unit, (it is under the 2 screw top cover of the feed unit)

the metal frame its on, bend it(reform) it down, so that in theory, the paper strikes that feed sensor sooner. just a mm or 2mm is all needed (3mm tops)

also the horizontal transport sensor uses a paper detection actuator that over time can get nicks and burrs that you cant even visibly see( been there done that)

I would replace the horizontal transport sensor, the actuator, AND the tension spring for the actuator, as those can all cause intermittent 17-30, 13-xx jams 99-xx jams. In extreme cases, you can wrap 3mm tape around the horizontal actuator so that the paper hits it sooner (there is a bulletin regarding this, its all over SSD)

Good luck, and please let us know what ends up fixing it.

-Z

EarthKmTech
02-05-2014, 11:34 AM
I've had this issue on this machine range since it came out and have been using my reformation fix as per the last message since a long time ago.

The theory of it striking the sensor earlier is incorrect.

Repetitive phantom 17-30 jams occur when the feed unit exit actuator can bounce enough during the time the sheet feeds through that the state of the photo sensor changes, bending the bracket downward even slightly eliminates this possibility entirely. I'm not talking about 1 off genuine 17-30 jams that occur from other causes and user errors.

I theorize that it can and does become more prevalent at certain times of the day particularly mornings simply because of the the way metal shrinks when its cold versus expands when its hot - overall the difference in the bracket angle of the actuator being OK or being problematic is minuscule enough for this to be an issue. This has been my experience anyway.

Phrag
02-05-2014, 10:59 PM
I finally got it to jam for me while I was there. (HUZZAH!)

The leading edge of the page exiting tray 3 stopped at PS21 (where the bulletins recommend placing cladding and ramps to "activate the sensor sooner." It says that it's a modification that will be installed on all C**2 models from 2009, but I don't know if that will include C**4 models.

In any case, the customer is impatient, so I may try to reform the plate down a mm or two.

I'll let you know how I go with it.

PS: I lie about the model in the title. It's actually a C654. Not an "Erratic" model.

EDIT: I reformed the mounting plate. Time will tell if it's a success. Thanks for the assistance everyone.

Custom Search