PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous C280 Cassette Shows Shows ???

Custom Search

copier tech
02-12-2014, 07:00 PM
Got a C280 that intermittently shows both tray paper sizes as ???, in other words it cant detect the cassette side & back positions. The sensor arms at the rear don't look bent or damaged.

Open & closing the cassettes, or moving the guides in & out usually sorts out the problem, but is there a way to disable the "Auto Size Detection"? seems like that can only been down for the stack bypass?

JustManuals
02-12-2014, 10:03 PM
This Parts & Service Manual can now be purchased for $12.77 and downloaded immediately after payment from:

http://www.justmanuals.com

Paul@justmanuals.com

EarthKmTech
02-12-2014, 10:29 PM
you can not force paper sizes in these trays.

ensure the rear most metal paper guide is not bent back and is straight up - if it bends back the protruding shaft will not operate the two photo interuptors correctly in the black plastic spring loaded housing - also make sure they have not been smashed out of the housing. ( i bet one has)

for both trays to have ??? i bet a wad of paper has gone behind both trays and some genius has tried slamming the draws closed - I had this very issue monday morning first thing, in a school of all places.. Big surprise really, not.

tech51
02-13-2014, 07:45 PM
There is a plastic block that protruding bar slots into on the rear of the machine. These crack and cause this fault....

oops sorry earthkmtech didn't see you already said this.
but as you say, one of these is definitely broken

copier tech
02-14-2014, 07:28 AM
I did look at the block in the back of the m/c looked ok but was in a dark room!
How easy is that to replace? Might order one & keep in the van

EarthKmTech
02-14-2014, 10:20 AM
not hard to change, aslong as your able to get into the barking dog position on all 4's.

I do it from the front of the machine by removing both trays, unscrewing the tray detection assembly with all the switches etc and gently rotating it to gain access.

PeterG
02-18-2014, 05:57 AM
We colonials are a little more "agricultural". Slide the tray all the way out, & bend the rear paper guide toward the front, a couple of mm's.
Have done it to dozens of machines. Have never had to go back again.

tech51
02-18-2014, 08:41 PM
We colonials are a little more "agricultural". Slide the tray all the way out, & bend the rear paper guide toward the front, a couple of mm's.
Have done it to dozens of machines. Have never had to go back again.

Yes this does work but once that block has broken it will have to be replaced....
We have found though that a little grease on the part of the cassette that hits the feed roller actuator makes the trays locate really smoothly, which stops a lot of damage. We have found that if the customers don't have to slam the trays in, bits don't get broken as much!!!!

PeterG
02-18-2014, 09:23 PM
Yes this does work but once that block has broken it will have to be replaced....
We have found though that a little grease on the part of the cassette that hits the feed roller actuator makes the trays locate really smoothly, which stops a lot of damage. We have found that if the customers don't have to slam the trays in, bits don't get broken as much!!!!

Absolutely agree with this.:)

Phrag
02-19-2014, 12:16 AM
We have found that if the customers don't have to slam the trays in, bits don't get broken as much!!!!

The only time I've had this issue with the broken plastic housing is deep inside the processing areas out at an alumina refinery. You can't tell those blokes to be gentle. They're all engineers, and process operators. That's against their ROE regarding sensitive office machinery.

The fun part was wearing black slacks and getting on all fours in a cramped cupboard kneeling in bauxite dust. At least I looked like I was working really hard.

copier tech
03-05-2014, 08:43 PM
Cheers for the help guys, broken sensor holder!

Hansoon
03-06-2014, 05:45 AM
Errr... Is that really black toner on that PHOTO sensor??

Hans

copier tech
03-06-2014, 06:27 AM
It looks like yellow toner in my pic but it's construction dust, m/c is in a building site office, very dusty!

Custom Search