PDA

View Full Version : Dead Machine IC-304 Not Booting

Custom Search

redhotrob
02-12-2014, 07:14 PM
I have an IC-304 Creo that isn't booting up. When the power is turned on, all the fans run and LEDs light up. The network jack shows connectivity and activity. There is no video output at all. There is also no beep codes. I've reseated all connectors, tested with the options all disconnected, memory in/out, removed the fusion board. With everything disconnected there still isn't any video or beep code. There are LEDs on the mainboard that are very basic Post indicators. They are on steady indicating the machine is still in POST. I've meassured all voltages off the power supply, and they are all working and correct. I've deceided the problem could be motherboard related, and ordered a new one. I have the same results with the new board. Any thoughts?

Synaux
02-12-2014, 07:48 PM
I have an IC-304 Creo that isn't booting up. When the power is turned on, all the fans run and LEDs light up. The network jack shows connectivity and activity. There is no video output at all. There is also no beep codes. I've reseated all connectors, tested with the options all disconnected, memory in/out, removed the fusion board. With everything disconnected there still isn't any video or beep code. There are LEDs on the mainboard that are very basic Post indicators. They are on steady indicating the machine is still in POST. I've meassured all voltages off the power supply, and they are all working and correct. I've deceided the problem could be motherboard related, and ordered a new one. I have the same results with the new board. Any thoughts?

Looks like you covered most of the basics...
Try resetting CMOS battery (if it has one).
Did you actually check the memory with memtest86,etc?
Never worked on one of these, but does it have a PCI/AGP slot on the motherboard that you can install a different video card for testing
HDD/OS failure causing the machine to not boot and the display is not detecting video signal.

redhotrob
02-12-2014, 08:10 PM
I took your advice and reset the BIOS, no change. I don't have a video card that would fit. The Creo itself has the video on the motherboard. Two motherboards with onboard video doing the same thing. The motherboard was replaced, but it didn'r come with another processor. I'm thinking that's what might be the problem, but it's hard to know for sure.

wseyller
02-12-2014, 11:41 PM
Does it have a speaker attached to the motherboard. If not there may be post error beeps but you just can't hear them. Otherwise it is hard to say for sure. Could be CPU or memory. If you disconnect the hard drive during boot you should at least get a bios screen if the HDD was bad.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Synaux
02-13-2014, 12:48 AM
I took your advice and reset the BIOS, no change. I don't have a video card that would fit. The Creo itself has the video on the motherboard. Two motherboards with onboard video doing the same thing. The motherboard was replaced, but it didn'r come with another processor. I'm thinking that's what might be the problem, but it's hard to know for sure.

Okay...I advise checking the memory in a different computer first (cpu as well, if possible).
What CPU is it--should be able to tell if you take the thermal paste off (but remember to put some back on before reassembly ;)

wseyller is correct about the HDD and speaker

redhotrob
02-13-2014, 10:55 AM
I thought about the speaker too. There is a buzzer on the motherboard that would give beep code, but it's silent. I did connect a case speaker to the motherboard, and that's silent too. The processor is hard to read, but it should be an Intel Core 2 Duo, E6600. It's a socket 775. I don't have another similar processor, but I do have an Intel Pentium D, also socket 775, that I was thinking about trying as a test. Even with the HDD and/or memory in/out, nothing is displayed from the video.

Synaux
02-13-2014, 11:58 PM
I thought about the speaker too. There is a buzzer on the motherboard that would give beep code, but it's silent. I did connect a case speaker to the motherboard, and that's silent too. The processor is hard to read, but it should be an Intel Core 2 Duo, E6600. It's a socket 775. I don't have another similar processor, but I do have an Intel Pentium D, also socket 775, that I was thinking about trying as a test. Even with the HDD and/or memory in/out, nothing is displayed from the video.

Id say try the Pentium D, or go buy a new E6600 and return it if its not faulty. I don't know if the Creo has proprietary BIOS, but I doubt it, so any compatible CPU should work with that motherboard.
Just curious, what is the motherboard model?

redhotrob
02-17-2014, 04:13 PM
The system board is a PDSME+.

I have it working now. I must have had another bad power supply. That's what happens when you get used stuff. I found another power supply and the system booted up ok. I think I'll be trying to get a better, more powerful power supply next time. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Synaux
02-17-2014, 06:20 PM
The system board is a PDSME+.

I have it working now. I must have had another bad power supply. That's what happens when you get used stuff. I found another power supply and the system booted up ok. I think I'll be trying to get a better, more powerful power supply next time. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Glad you got it working!
But you checked the PSU...that doesn't really add up. I guess you could have a damaged motherboard power connector and not necessarily a bad PSU.

Custom Search