PDA

View Full Version : Fiery Pi8500 Pro HDD replacement

Custom Search

sunsetoutpost
02-27-2014, 12:14 AM
Has anyone ever replaced the HDD in a Pi8500? It's a Seagate ST320410a. I can't get this box to install the system software (1.01) and don't know if this is proprietary.

Synaux
02-27-2014, 01:12 AM
Has anyone ever replaced the HDD in a Pi8500? It's a Seagate ST320410a. I can't get this box to install the system software (1.01) and don't know if this is proprietary.

Well, Konica doesn't seem to have a service manual for these....not that the Fiery service manuals are worth the paper to print them on anyway.

What exactly is the problem you are running into when installing the system code??

If you suspect the HDD, put it in a computer and run a tool like Spinrite on it over night.
Ensure that the HDD is being detected in BIOS. Try changing the HDD cable.
Reset CMOS.

If all else fails, try another drive. You don't really have anything to loose but some time if it fails.
Just make sure its the same size or larger. I know that some older Fiery drives would limit the size of a HDD (e.g., a 20gb drive would only be detected as a 8.4gb drive which was not a partition-based limitation); however, I never cared enough to experiment with different drives (or needed to).

sunsetoutpost
02-27-2014, 01:29 PM
Normally these will format, install, kick the CD out, then go to setup. This one keeps repeating the format & install sequence over and over. I'll try another drive.

sunsetoutpost
04-03-2014, 09:36 PM
Replaced the HDD, same problem. The book says faulty software or HDD. Both my 1.01w disks net the same result and they program other boxes just fine. Anyone have a spare Pi8500 they want to sell?

Custom Search