PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous How to "hide" trays from specific users on Bizhub363?

Custom Search

mark0933
03-06-2014, 08:23 PM
Ok, customer has a Bizhub 363 and Win 7 64 bit machines and a Windows 2012 SBS setting. They have 4 trays plus bypass, tray 1 is plain, 2 is legal, 3 and 4 are "letterhead" - software remembers settings of last print job (regardless of which user printed) so when the final print job is ran, the next time any other user prints using that software, even if they want "draft" it will default to final and print on letterhead tray. In older drivers (and older copiers) they have had the ability to hide tray 3 and 4 from all but the "finishing" department, so the "draft" department gets a "no paper matching description" warning on printer and manually override to print on tray 1, but with the "push" technology of the printer communication, this doesn't seem to be available any longer...

Any ideas of a work around as they are wasting letterhead and getting upset.

Mark

blackcat4866
03-06-2014, 08:47 PM
For starters, your users are going to have to authenticate.

Utility > Administrator Settings > log in > User Authentication
I don't see a way to restrict based on media type or paper tray though.

See section 7.1.3 of the Network Administrator User Guide for details. =^..^=

Mr Spock
03-07-2014, 01:36 AM
You will have to set a printer for each "department"
then manually configure the printer properties of each of these printers to what you want them to see.
Also turn off the auto update so these do not get over ridden.

pepper38_cnd
03-07-2014, 12:38 PM
This should be a no brainer! The draft department doesn't want to open printer settings and choose the paper tray before they print. Instead they are content to walk over to the printer, choose the print job, then choose the tray, and then force/form feed the document ( and in the mean time all other jobs are held up until that one is released). Just educate the customer (the Draft Department) to choose the tray when printing, it's simpler and less time consuming then what they are use to. Or of course they could just save 2 copies of document as Draft and Final as the settings are most likely saved with the doc not the program.

I know some customers can be a pain in the but. As old habits are hard to change. I remember trying to get secretaries to give up their IBM Selectric to a new Word Processor in some cases was next to impossible!

blackcat4866
03-07-2014, 12:53 PM
You will have to set a printer for each "department"
then manually configure the printer properties of each of these printers to what you want them to see.
Also turn off the auto update so these do not get over ridden.

So, each department has a different driver (2) with rights restricted, visible only to certain users; or the one shared driver has rights restricted, and individually set for each user, not updating. Do I have that correct, Spock? =^..^=

Mr Spock
03-11-2014, 01:30 AM
So, each department has a different driver (2) with rights restricted, visible only to certain users; or the one shared driver has rights restricted, and individually set for each user, not updating. Do I have that correct, Spock? =^..^=

So, each department has a different driver (2) with rights restricted, visible only to certain users;

mark0933
03-11-2014, 02:50 AM
This should be a no brainer! The draft department doesn't want to open printer settings and choose the paper tray before they print. Instead they are content to walk over to the printer, choose the print job, then choose the tray, and then force/form feed the document ( and in the mean time all other jobs are held up until that one is released). Just educate the customer (the Draft Department) to choose the tray when printing, it's simpler and less time consuming then what they are use to. Or of course they could just save 2 copies of document as Draft and Final as the settings are most likely saved with the doc not the program.

I know some customers can be a pain in the but. As old habits are hard to change. I remember trying to get secretaries to give up their IBM Selectric to a new Word Processor in some cases was next to impossible!

I understand what you are saying, but people forget to do this and then they are chewing through "expensive" paper and also confusing themselves because people can't tell if something is truly finished or not. I like "foolproof" results that eliminate human error.

mark0933
03-11-2014, 02:56 AM
So, each department has a different driver (2) with rights restricted, visible only to certain users;

Problem is that I can't find the way to disable the "auto-update" for the driver - the device just pushes its "true configuration" overtop of any setting you put into the driver manually. I am not familiar with the driver side of these machines very much, so a little more detail if at all possible - is this at the server level, the individual machine level or the copier interface?

Mark

wseyller
03-11-2014, 03:00 AM
Problem is that I can't find the way to disable the "auto-update" for the driver - the device just pushes its "true configuration" overtop of any setting you put into the driver manually. I am not familiar with the driver side of these machines very much, so a little more detail if at all possible - is this at the server level, the individual machine level or the copier interface?

Mark

Try going to the "Printer Properties" of the driver. Then the "Configure" tab. Then the "Obtain Settings" button. Then uncheck "Auto".

pepper38_cnd
03-11-2014, 11:42 AM
Since the tray commands are being stored with the document I don't know if this will work but give it a try.

Load Letter Head paper LTR ( so it is feeding short edge first ), take tray 3 & 4 out of Auto Tray Selection, and set the machine to stop if no matching paper.

Let us know if this works for you.

Custom Search