PDA

View Full Version : FWselect

Custom Search

Phrag
03-10-2014, 12:44 AM
Hate to ask something of you guys again, but it's bugging the hell out of me.

I remember hearing/seeing something about FWselect (before the 4 series machines came out)

I thought I had something on my laptop about it, but alas, I do not. I tried searching the google for it (and got a 500 error on the only result I found that would give me the info), as well as CSES, which only gave me actual firmware.

I have a couple of questions;

1. Is it as simple as adding a folder to my USB Root named "FWselect" and then placing the firmware files in that (without folders). I get the feeling it is.
2. Does this work with the new 4 and e series machines as well?

Once again, I hate to be a pain, but even a link to some resources that you found helpful would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Phrag
03-10-2014, 01:14 AM
Everybody stop looking! I found it.

"The procedure to store FW into USB memory
(1) Place a set of FW for a model on the root directory of a USB memory
(2) Make a folder named “FWSelect” on the root directory.
(3) Place folder(s) for other FW(s).
Note: The name of folder must be within 40 alpha-numeric charactors"

If this is correct, can anyone confirm whether this still works with the 4/e series machines?

emujo
03-10-2014, 01:21 PM
Yes.

Phrag
03-10-2014, 11:36 PM
Cheers emujo.

pajeroid
12-01-2016, 10:27 AM
Digging up an old post here, but does anyone know if it is possible to add firmware for different models onto one USB stick. Would be great to give an engineer a stick with all the range on it. :confused:

lilleputte
12-01-2016, 11:14 AM
Digging up an old post here, but does anyone know if it is possible to add firmware for different models onto one USB stick. Would be great to give an engineer a stick with all the range on it. :confused:

Yes this is possible ,

pajeroid
12-01-2016, 02:44 PM
Great, how would I put C284 and C284e on the same stick then, as an example?

Naahoj
12-01-2016, 02:51 PM
Great, how would I put C284 and C284e on the same stick then, as an example?

yes i think this is possible, because the file names should be different.

so the machine will find the right one by it self.

Best regards
Naahoj

pajeroid
12-02-2016, 12:49 PM
Well to save everyone else wasting their time.. No, it's not possible. It asks you if you want to overwrite a bunch of files when you try and put C224 firmware on a C224e USB.

emujo
12-02-2016, 01:49 PM
It most certainly IS possible, we do this all the time to keep from having to keep track of multiple USB drives, I have one that holds 5 different firmware files, and 1 that holds 8 or 9 movie files. You must add the folder structure exactly as posted above. Emujo

pajeroid
12-02-2016, 01:56 PM
Right - well the instructions say you must have firmware in the root of the stick as well as the FWSelect folder - so surely you must put the firmware of the correct model in root?

Are you telling me I could put a C284e firmware in the root of the stick, and then the C284 (not e) in the FWSelect folder and the machine will boot and I will be able to select the C284 firmware by using Firmware Select?

emujo
12-02-2016, 02:09 PM
That is correct, you will have the C284e firmware (or any other e series) loaded on the USB drive. You will add a "FWSelect"(case sensitive) folder and in that folder you will have a subfolder called "C284" or something of your choosing. The C284 firmware will be extracted in this folder. When you power up the device in firmware up mode you will press the FW select ICON then the pick the folder containing the firmware for this device. The firmware on the root just allows for the device to come up in firmware load mode. If you press start from here then of course you will get a wrong firmware message. Emujo

pajeroid
12-02-2016, 04:39 PM
Thanks for taking the time to answer and hope you can help me get this working as I've tried:

Putting C284e in the root - Putting C284 in FWSelect (Case correct)
Putting C284e & C284 in the root (skipping some of the duplicated files from the C284) and then C284 in the FWSelect folder

I know the firmware is good, as I put the C284 in the root and it updated the machine no issues. What am I missing? :confused:

emujo
12-02-2016, 05:39 PM
Put any firmware on the root, put a FWSelect folder on the root, in FWSelect, put a folder called C284, in this folder put the c284 firmware files. You can put multiple folders in FWSelect for many nachines, just be sure to name the correctly so you don't try to put the incorrect firmware into a device. Emujo

pajeroid
12-05-2016, 12:17 PM
That's what I've done - but it just does this, with a different model in root. This is with a FWSelect folder on the root with my C284 firmware in. The firmware in the root is a C284e. Does it only work with the older firmware in root and the C284e in the FWSelect folder?

Honestly, I've tried every combination!

pajeroid
12-09-2016, 10:01 AM
Put any firmware on the root, put a FWSelect folder on the root, in FWSelect, put a folder called C284, in this folder put the c284 firmware files. You can put multiple folders in FWSelect for many nachines, just be sure to name the correctly so you don't try to put the incorrect firmware into a device. Emujo

Hi Emujo...

Any idea? Done what you said, but provides the (ever so helpful) error message above. Really can't believe they haven't updated that message in 10 years. ;)

Custom Search