PDA

View Full Version : Authentication greyed out printing to C224e from Mac with OS 10.9

Custom Search

kingarthur
04-03-2014, 12:20 PM
hopefully someone can help, a customer has upgraded on of their Macs to OS 10.9, when they try to print to a Biz c224e using authentication, it's all greyed out, KM are saying it's their permissions, the customers IT say it's the drivers, I know nothing about Macs....all their other Macs with an earlier OS work fine

SmellsHot
04-04-2014, 03:51 PM
Go into the printer properties. And uncheck "auto" in the "obtain settings". It sounds like it's not recognizing it...

emujo
04-04-2014, 05:55 PM
Auto obtain is in the windows driver...Update your MFP to C8 firmware, and perform the version up (ver 3 to ver 5). Download the latest driver for 10.9 (4.5.3 LT).

You must add the printer as an IP printer, LPD, IP address, then select the 224e PS driver. Next add any options (finisher, punch etc). Check HDD box.
Depending on what app you are printing from, drop down the section that allows you to select preferences, (color, staple,etc), find the output section. The authentication info is in here, you can also save the settings. There may be some issues if the logged in user is not an Admin, but I've never run across this issue before. Emujo

kingarthur
04-09-2014, 11:05 AM
Hi

many thanks for the replies, I've upgraded to latest firmware, the customer has done what was suggested & it's still the same, I've tried to load the screenshot that the customer sent me, they can print using account track, but not user authentication

0ByteSolutions
02-10-2015, 05:44 PM
Hi

many thanks for the replies, I've upgraded to latest firmware, the customer has done what was suggested & it's still the same, I've tried to load the screenshot that the customer sent me, they can print using account track, but not user authentication

I know this is an "older" post but as this was the highest search result for this problem in Google and I found a possible solution for the same problem I thought I would share it...

We are/were having the same issues... After MANY hours of banging my head against the wall I found a bizarre solution. I'm not sure if this problem extends beyond the "Notes" application but we noticed that when we specifically tried to set the print settings using Google Chrome or Safari the options were no longer greyed out and we could, in fact, save the settings and create the "presets" we needed.

Once the presets (with the saved username, password, authentication server, etc...) were saved we went back into our app (in this case "Notes") and though the option was still greyed out, the settings had been saved and we were able to successfully print.

I really hope this helps everyone else.

allan
02-10-2015, 07:12 PM
If i have one problem Mac i switch print without authentication on. Just to get them running, and you can still workout the usage on a single user.
I agree using the CUPS local host interface could work, but the auth settings depends on the driver ver.

0ByteSolutions
02-10-2015, 09:36 PM
...After MANY hours of banging my head against the wall I found a bizarre solution. I'm not sure if this problem extends beyond the "Notes" application but we noticed that when we specifically tried to set the print settings using Google Chrome or Safari the options were no longer greyed out and we could, in fact, save the settings and create the "presets" we needed...
UPDATE:
I forgot to mention that this also works with the Mac OSX 10.10.x same situation.

If i have one problem Mac i switch print without authentication on. Just to get them running, and you can still workout the usage on a single user.
I agree using the CUPS local host interface could work, but the auth settings depends on the driver ver.

In my customer's office with DOZENS of agents coming and going, authentication is the only option. I'm sure there are MANY offices with the same issue that don't have the option to enable public printing.

habik
02-10-2015, 09:53 PM
UPDATE:
I forgot to mention that this also works with the Mac OSX 10.10.x same situation.

In my customer's office with DOZENS of agents coming and going, authentication is the only option. I'm sure there are MANY offices with the same issue that don't have the option to enable public printing.

Thank you for the tip! Appreciate your share of knowledge!

Sent from my iDon't believe in marketing device using Tapatalk

allan
02-10-2015, 10:11 PM
Using print without authentication, still tracks the users using authentication.

0ByteSolutions
02-10-2015, 10:23 PM
Using print without authentication, still tracks the users using authentication.

But it still allows any random user to come in and print 500+ full-color pages, too. No thankyou. :p This is less about tracking, more about controlling who can print.

habik
02-12-2015, 09:40 PM
Just a slight off topic.
If Account Track is selected (box ticked) in the driver dialog and you then enter the Account Name&password + tick the Save Box, do not forget to check the details in printer information " Administrator settings" expand it and check if "Print without authentication is allowed or restrict" if you are NOT using Print Without Authentication setting on machine, Ensure you have this set in driver too!
For instance I could print from notes or Google chrome but couldn't get it to print a silly Pdf from Chrome until I had the same restrictions on machine and on driver.
Drived me potty!

Sent from my iDon't believe in marketing device using Tapatalk

pepper38_cnd
02-12-2015, 10:23 PM
I had this problem today, spent an hour on the phone with KM Tech Support remoted in. You need to open "Text Editor" then chose print, in the printer dialog box chose output method, here you will find the setting for authentication and account track set user and password, check the remember boxes, then save as a printer profile. Once this is done from all application except adobe just chose file print and make sure that printer profile is chosen. Now from adobe chose file print then printer setting and output settings chose print then print again. oh and the proper driver for OS10.9 is version 1.8 not that I think that matters as this appeared to be the same issue with all drivers I tried.

Custom Search