PDA

View Full Version : 654e error when spooling large print jobs

Custom Search

speedtek
05-08-2014, 10:23 PM
Hello all,

We recently installed a bunch of 654e's at a client site, and we are having all sorts of problems. The one that I am focusing on right now is the fact that large print jobs (.pdf's, anything over 20 pages) don't start printing until they are completely spooled on the printer. Their old 601's would start printing once they had about 10 pages spooled up. The much larger jobs (over 100 pages) will fail with a "Connection Timeout" error on the job log. After everything I have tried, my boss and I both agree that we'd probably be OK if we could get the jobs to start printing while they are still spooling.

Here's what I've tried:
-Set PDL type to "PCL" (they are using the KM Universal PCL driver, and this is our only option at this particular customer for their own reasons)
-Changed network speed from 10/100/1000 to 100-full
-Turned off all unnecessary network protocols
-Upgraded user from Adobe reader X to XI
-MFP firmware is G00-60
-Printed from my laptop, using the user's network port, which worked fine. We both have Win7 64, Adobe Reader XI, and the latest KM Universal PCL driver.

Other facts worth noting:
-The biggest document I printed was 715 pages, and is about 43mb. When either of us prints, our PC's process it just fine, and it sends to the printer within about a minute. After the job gets to the printer, that's when the data light starts blinking and the page count starts to climb.

Please help! If you need any other info

emujo
05-09-2014, 07:16 PM
Couple of things I didn't see you mention
1. Under the advanced tab of driver properties, try changing your spooling options to print directly to the printer
2. Under the Finishing tab of preferences, change from "prioritize paper arrangement" to "productivity"
3. Ensure you are not printing at 1200 DPI (quality tab)

If you think the slowdown is network related, try doing a continuous ping of the printer IP to look for slow responses, or timeouts.
Are the print drivers on a server and shared, or is everyone local? If everyone is printing via local TCP/IP connection, does anyone seem to work better than others? If shared printer, try a local install as a test to eliminate a bottle neck on the server. Emujo

speedtek
05-09-2014, 08:03 PM
2. Under the Finishing tab of preferences, change from "prioritize paper arrangement" to "productivity"

^ That did it!!! Thank you so much. Now we have to go to every single user's PC and fix this on the 4-10 print queues that are installed locally! That's OK though because now my customer is happy as can be.

Seriously, if I could hug you I would.

emujo
05-09-2014, 09:11 PM
Happy to help....Emujo

Custom Search