PDA

View Full Version : Jamming How often?

Custom Search

paulrid
05-09-2014, 02:08 PM
Hi all,

just a quick question.
with all your vast experience how often would you say a machine will jam? just a rough guess.
i have machines that never seem to jam and others that do every so often. Would it be right/wrong to think it should never jam?

thanks Paul.

Luther
05-09-2014, 02:15 PM
If copiers never jammed they wouldn't add all the jam access doors and levers or have jam codes and displays to show you how to remove jams, even the manufacturers must know they would jam or they wouldn't have made it "easy". enviroment and paper has a lot to do with it and the customer....never jam? they would be sealed boxes

Luther
05-09-2014, 02:18 PM
Also I remember years ago they did a survey by just saying "copier" to customers to see what response they would get and the the 1st thing people said was "paper jam"..that was by far the largest response...

Kidaver
05-09-2014, 02:24 PM
I've gotten calls at a school and show up and the teacher will exclaim "This thing is always jamming". Go in and look at the jam report and it will have passed 5k pages since last jam. So what that teacher left out was "This thing always jams when I use it" and fails to realize they are about 99% of the cause.

paulrid
05-09-2014, 02:26 PM
Good points, I know customers think they jam all the time and it's never them or paper and the logs show the real truth but just trying to get some ideas of what people think is a lot or not a lot if there is some such thing.
paul.

paulrid
05-09-2014, 02:28 PM
I've gotten calls at a school and show up and the teacher will exclaim "This thing is always jamming". Go in and look at the jam report and it will have passed 5k pages since last jam. So what that teacher left out was "This thing always jams when I use it" and fails to realize they are about 99% of the cause.

spot on I get this a lot :)

Kidaver
05-09-2014, 02:34 PM
Take your total number of jams divided by your total counter and get a percentage. I show this to customers sometimes to kind of give them an idea of how often it actually jams. Tho when I look at jam counters I don't really care how many jams are on there. I look for specific jams in high numbers. Unless it's ADF jams I tend to blame that on feed rollers getting dirty so quickly and customers no loading originals correctly.

coolbeer
05-09-2014, 02:40 PM
Get the correct paper for the job, service the machine correctly and get a customer who cares about his investment.
I know this is a highly unlikely scenario, but in the real world it would help.

Hansoon
05-09-2014, 02:46 PM
Hard to say. I have high volume customers using a certain type of machine and they have sometimes not before 10K a jam often coming immediately after paper replenishment. Same type of machine is having with low volume customers a jam every 1.5K.....

Hans

41-willys
05-09-2014, 03:23 PM
I heard one time that manufacturers say 1 jam per ream of paper is normal

copier tech
05-09-2014, 04:53 PM
It is normal to see loads of DF jams, thats due to customers tatty originals & the amount of scanning they do etc.
you could have 10 identical brand new machines at different locations all using the same paper & you will always get some that machines that jam more than others, this is all down to the environment they're in.

darry1322
05-09-2014, 04:54 PM
I went to a machine the other day and checked jam reports ... 120K+ between the last and next-to-last jams. Don't see that very often. Same customer has 3 machines now that have over 30k on each machine between last jam and now.

emujo
05-09-2014, 07:03 PM
I would suggest that it's jamming too often when the customer is putting up a service call. Some are much more forgiving then others. Emujo

darry1322
05-09-2014, 07:35 PM
I went to a machine the other day and checked jam reports ... 120K+ between the last and next-to-last jams. Don't see that very often. Same customer has 3 machines now that have over 30k on each machine between last jam and now.

These machines each have 2.5 million counts after just under 2 years.

minimerlin
05-09-2014, 07:35 PM
My copiers never jam! lol :rolleyes:

I always tell my users that they may find the copier miss-feeds paper some times! ;)
The word Jam is very negative so miss-feed sounds better to them, unless the copier is a Canon..they can`t feed at all. lol.

Kidaver
05-09-2014, 07:41 PM
I hate paper companies that put "99% jam free" on the wrapping.....

darry1322
05-09-2014, 07:47 PM
You can't make them run jam free, but I do try to get them as close as the user will let me.

emujo
05-09-2014, 09:16 PM
How about the customer's MFP with 1K copy count, and 200K scan counts, that torques me to no end since most of our industry doesn't charge for scanning. Customers running envelopes are another issue..."Plain paper copier" is what it's called and what it's designed for. Emujo

darry1322
05-09-2014, 09:22 PM
How about the customer's MFP with 1K copy count, and 200K scan counts, that torques me to no end since most of our industry doesn't charge for scanning. Customers running envelopes are another issue..."Plain paper copier" is what it's called and what it's designed for. Emujo

Spent hours at a medical clinic cleaning dust and scraps of paper from the doc feed every month with very few actual copies. Not much room for profit without a base charge for service plus meter.

Ended with well over 1 million scans and less than 200k prints.

Custom Search