PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous Laying copier over for road transport

Custom Search

seconds away
05-26-2014, 05:20 AM
Hi, I hope questions from non-industry folks are OK.

I am considering the purchase of a second hand Konica Minolta bizhub C250 photocopier, the current owner tells me they laid it over onto its back when moving it from their office to the their home and they are unsure if it has been powered up since.

Will having laid it over cause problems?

Are there any maintenance/checks that can be done to prevent or fix any problems that might arise?

I live in a small remote country town and nicely priced 2nd hand units are hard to come by, so I am prepared to put a little bit of time into it if necessary.

thankyou,

Michael

ZOOTECH
05-26-2014, 05:33 AM
Hi, I hope questions from non-industry folks are OK.

I am considering the purchase of a second hand Konica Minolta bizhub C250 photocopier, the current owner tells me they laid it over onto its back when moving it from their office to the their home and they are unsure if it has been powered up since.

Will having laid it over cause problems?

Are there any maintenance/checks that can be done to prevent or fix any problems that might arise?

I live in a small remote country town and nicely priced 2nd hand units are hard to come by, so I am prepared to put a little bit of time into it if necessary.

thankyou,

Michael
I don't know Konica Minolta machines, but in general, a machine laying on it back or sides, will cause all sorts of problems with supplies (toner, developer, etc.), and will take a considerable amount of labor and new supplies to bring it up to specs. Probably not the best way to go, IMHO.

seconds away
05-26-2014, 05:56 AM
I don't know Konica Minolta machines, but in general, a machine laying on it back or sides, will cause all sorts of problems with supplies (toner, developer, etc.), and will take a considerable amount of labor and new supplies to bring it up to specs. Probably not the best way to go, IMHO.

That's what I was afraid of... will the supplies leak out if laid over?

It's possible they may have taken the toner carts out, but I'm certain they wouldn't have removed the drum.

I haven't actually seen this machine yet, just talked to the guy once on the phone.

blackcat4866
05-26-2014, 03:07 PM
One of my customers had their own trucks, and loaded up a Canon NP-6060 for shipping from Florida to Michigan. The lift operator was worried it would tip over, so he flopped it over on it's back and banded it down to the skid with 1" steel bands. Then it rode 600+ miles in the back of a tractor trailer.

This is where I got involved. The Michigan office called me to ask for help standing it back up. We used 2" wide lift straps and a lift. We set it down very gently. Then there was a sound of small parts tumbling to the bottom. Several small green pieces of fiberglass circuit board trickled out, most about 1".

The entire back of that machine was covered with circuit boards, now in 1" randomly shaped bits. And the 1" steel bands were kind of rough on it too. The covers were split everywhere there was a band, and the glass broken. I was able to scavenge a fuser, a developing unit, and a drum cleaning unit. The rest went in the dumpster.

Copiers are designed to stand vertical, and only vertical. Most likely you've got some recycleable metal, broken plastic, and spilled toner, and not much else. =^..^=

Tonerbomb
05-26-2014, 03:16 PM
Bad, Very very bad idea to buy this unit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Everything the others have warned about is true !!!!!!!!!!!!

would you buy a car the insurance co totaled???????????????

copier tech
05-26-2014, 09:55 PM
The C250 is so old now, don't waste your time.

I would suggest you find a low millage C280 this is a good model & cheap the buy used.

seconds away
05-27-2014, 01:09 AM
The C250 is so old now, don't waste your time.

I would suggest you find a low millage C280 this is a good model & cheap the buy used.

Unfortunately, I'm not able to shop around... I live 7 hrs from a population centre large enough for that! My budget doesn't quite sretch that far and my requirements only just meet the need for a copier the size of a C250.

I'm definately hearing what everyone is saying though, and even though this is a cheap, low mileage unit I think I'll pass on this one. I can make do with a multi-function inkjet for the time being.

ZOOTECH
05-27-2014, 01:42 AM
Unfortunately, I'm not able to shop around... I live 7 hrs from a population centre large enough for that! My budget doesn't quite sretch that far and my requirements only just meet the need for a copier the size of a C250.

I'm definately hearing what everyone is saying though, and even though this is a cheap, low mileage unit I think I'll pass on this one. I can make do with a multi-function inkjet for the time being.

I think this might be your best move. :)

blackcat4866
05-27-2014, 02:03 AM
The best you can hope for is some of the units surviving for later use. This is a parts machine at best. =^..^=

slimslob
05-28-2014, 04:20 AM
You might try PMing (Private Messaging) blsquires. Let him know what size and price range you are looking for and maybe he can find you something.

Custom Search