PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous KM Bizhub C550 - M30 Operation Check

Custom Search

CaptnRed
06-04-2014, 12:08 AM
Customer complains of a noise coming from the body of the machine. It sounds like it's coming from the fusing section. I looked through the manual to see how to engage the motor. The most I can find is "M30 Operation Check"

How do I perform an operation check on the M30 motor?
Is there a way to engage the motor in service mode to isolate the noise to the fusing section??

Thanks in advance

Synaux
06-04-2014, 06:29 AM
I don't think there is any running mode option on these models.

Let me guess, it is a chirping/squealing sound.

If you open the conveyance section with the machine is ready mode (not in sleep/standby) and the sound stops it is most likely the fuser and it is a known issue.
Basically the fuser is constantly running while the machine is in ready mode.
For this reason I tend to set the sleep counter to 5-10min unless asked not to.
Another advantage is it saves energy; however, it can force unnecessary stabilization process (depending on the work environment).
Which I guess can add some wear to the IUs.

If you need the bulletins for the fuser chirping fixes let me know.

Warning: While I have never done the procedure looks unpleasant and not worth the time.
Unless they are paying you good and contractual constraints are not an issue, tell them to deal with it or buy a new fuser and keep the old one as a spare.

CaptnRed
06-05-2014, 04:30 AM
I don't think there is any running mode option on these models.

Let me guess, it is a chirping/squealing sound.

If you open the conveyance section with the machine is ready mode (not in sleep/standby) and the sound stops it is most likely the fuser and it is a known issue.
Basically the fuser is constantly running while the machine is in ready mode.
For this reason I tend to set the sleep counter to 5-10min unless asked not to.
Another advantage is it saves energy; however, it can force unnecessary stabilization process (depending on the work environment).
Which I guess can add some wear to the IUs.

If you need the bulletins for the fuser chirping fixes let me know.

Warning: While I have never done the procedure looks unpleasant and not worth the time.
Unless they are paying you good and contractual constraints are not an issue, tell them to deal with it or buy a new fuser and keep the old one as a spare.

Thanks for your advice!

The noise sounds like a clicking noise (from the fuser area) that corresponds with the warm up cycle of the machine. In other words, when the machine is active and making copies or prints its loud. When I open the right door to access the fuser the noise stops. I removed the fuser and was able to turn the drive gear by hand, but I was not able to turn another gear that was underneath the fuser (I am assuming it was for the soaking or brush roller). To your knowledge is that gear able to turn by hand or could that be the cause of the noise?

If you could send me the bulletins I would appreciate it!

PeterG
06-05-2014, 05:40 AM
There are at least 37 different documented sources of noise in the fuser area on these copiers & the list grows steadily every day.:D

Synaux
06-05-2014, 06:13 AM
Thanks for your advice!

The noise sounds like a clicking noise (from the fuser area) that corresponds with the warm up cycle of the machine. In other words, when the machine is active and making copies or prints its loud. When I open the right door to access the fuser the noise stops. I removed the fuser and was able to turn the drive gear by hand, but I was not able to turn another gear that was underneath the fuser (I am assuming it was for the soaking or brush roller). To your knowledge is that gear able to turn by hand or could that be the cause of the noise?

If you could send me the bulletins I would appreciate it!

Send me a pm to remind me to post them to you when I am at work tomorrow; however, I do not remember anything about a clicking sound...but I might of missed that.

If you have a smart phone take a video of it so we can hear it. ;)

Not sure what gear you are referring to (pictures are always helpful). If I remember correctly, most gears will turn (with some effort)...

PeterG
06-05-2014, 06:30 AM
That second gear you are talking about only turns a small amount. It applies the pressure to the rollers.
Have a look at the triangular disc with the toothed belt on it. Find where it mates into the copier & apply a bit of Hi-temp grease to that area. It is some kind of pulse counter & can make a noise like you described.
Most of the noises in this area seem to come from the drive from the copier to the exit rollers. Pull that little assy above & to the right of the fuser off. There is a drive gear that hangs out of the copier about 40mm. The shaft of that gear rides in a white nylon carrier. Prise the e clip off & remove the gear, squeeze some grease between the nylon & the shaft. Put it back together & that will probably take care of it.

mitchl
06-05-2014, 04:47 PM
Send me a pm to remind me to post them to you when I am at work tomorrow; however, I do not remember anything about a clicking sound...but I might of missed that.

If you have a smart phone take a video of it so we can hear it. ;)

Not sure what gear you are referring to (pictures are always helpful). If I remember correctly, most gears will turn (with some effort)...
Unfortunately the good Captains efforts will be in vain, about the time he gets that noise quieted down he will then be able to hear the other dozen tunes that the fuser is singing.................. Its truly an engineering marvel! His best bet is to replace the fuser with a new one and by that I mean the latest greatest newest part number, it might buy your customer 100 to 150k semi-noise free copies.............. then it all starts again. I think this is the p# A00JR72155, wow thats the 6th revision for this POS.

CaptnRed
06-06-2014, 04:01 PM
Thanks for all the advice!
I will be returning to this machine later today, I'll take pictures and videos if necessary!

CaptnRed
06-07-2014, 02:55 AM
So an update!

The customer ordered and installed the fuser himself, but didn't solve the clicking noise. In order to narrow down the problem I removed the bridge unit, definitely coming from the inner sets of gears just above the fuser. The picture attached shows a gear that seems to be loose. The whole shaft that the gear is attached is able to move about 2 or 3 mm to the front and rear of the machine.

Is this normal?
What is this gear for?

I tried to look this up in the manual but I couldnt find it!

blackcat4866
06-07-2014, 03:30 AM
So an update!

The customer ordered and installed the fuser himself, but didn't solve the clicking noise. In order to narrow down the problem I removed the bridge unit, definitely coming from the inner sets of gears just above the fuser. The picture attached shows a gear that seems to be loose. The whole shaft that the gear is attached is able to move about 2 or 3 mm to the front and rear of the machine.

Is this normal?
What is this gear for?

I tried to look this up in the manual but I couldnt find it!

That's one of many gears that can wear. Also look at the mating gear in the door, and the associated drive components.

In no time at all, your new fuser will resume the other noises. It's just the nature of the beast. =^..^=

CaptnRed
06-07-2014, 03:51 AM
That's one of many gears that can wear. Also look at the mating gear in the door, and the associated drive components.

In no time at all, your new fuser will resume the other noises. It's just the nature of the beast. =^..^=

That's a good point. I did check the gears on the door that would mate to this gear, they looked ok! Is this gear part of the switchback unit?

emujo
06-09-2014, 06:07 PM
A00JR72600 is the entire assy that drives the eject section. This section is notorious for wearing out..another indication that this part is beginning to wear is output copies have a pronounced wave in them as the gear revolves at different speeds because of the amount of wear on the hub. If you open the right door, and jig the interlocks/sensors, the MFP will run for a couple of seconds giving you a little time to isolate the noise...No noise would mean that the click is probably coming from one of the door components. The fuser drive section can also wear down, KM modified the new drive assy with better bushings. It's not terribly hard to replace the assy. Emujo

rrrohan
06-10-2014, 12:27 AM
Also the fused drive gear has a bushing that can get worn out and not hold shaft in place. This small amount of movement can cause gears not to mesh and will create a loud click click click.

CaptnRed
06-19-2014, 03:10 AM
Ordered the eject drive unit but it doesn't look like that has the gear, shaft and bushing needed. If you look carefully at the picture in my original post you can see that the defective gear is just below, and mates with the eject drive unit. But I'm having a hard time identifying it in the parts manual!

CaptnRed
06-19-2014, 03:22 AM
To make things clear, here is another picture. The white box is the Eject Drive Unit, The red oval shows the defective gear, bushing, shaft.
Thanks!25386

emujo
06-19-2014, 01:03 PM
That gear is part of the fuser drive assy. Emujo

methogod
06-23-2014, 08:24 PM
Quit MPF's are like non existent...

Even a Bently will make noise when going fast....

If you want quiet machines get slower ones...

ill take the noise anyday over shitty life on IU and poor support from lets say XEROX - who can duplex over 80# to save their life....

not complaining, but there it is...

If you like production speed go for a production machine.... If you want quiet machines get slower ones. The C364 series has more noise blocking material, but it also wont print 10,000 color pages to save you life.

emujo
06-24-2014, 01:50 AM
I agree with you to a point, but try being the guy/girl sitting right next to the MFP and hearing that squeal all day long, it would drive me nuts....Emujo

Synaux
06-24-2014, 04:34 AM
I agree with you to a point, but try being the guy/girl sitting right next to the MFP and hearing that squeal all day long, it would drive me nuts....Emujo

To be honest, sitting next to any MFP with any continuous workflow would drive me nuts too. Although, I am unsure I can try being a gal, got any tips Emujo? :p

I suppose an alternative method for mitigating noise is to suggest installing some sound cancelling foam (if the environment permits)....

emujo
06-24-2014, 05:12 PM
No, I think I'll keep my "tips". Emujo

Synaux
06-25-2014, 04:15 AM
No, I think I'll keep my "tips". Emujo
I apologize, I meant to ask if you had any "tits"

Custom Search