PDA

View Full Version : C452 trays 3 & 4 deafult paper size changes

Custom Search

Taminol
06-13-2014, 09:47 PM
Hi Guys,

Need a little advice on where the best place to start is.
We have a C452 running on the latest F/W (was flashed to the 'latest' 3 weeks ago - sorry can't remember the version).
The symptom, both before and after flashing is the default paper size changes from A4 to 8.5 x 11.
This first showed a couple of years ago. We set it back to A4 and was fine for 12 months, then it changed to 8.5 x 11.
We changed it back again. 6 months later same thing. It did it twice in 1 week, then fine again.
Worth mentioning that it had a new HDD about 14 months ago. This was changed because the device kept losing User Boxes. One minute there was a User Box named John Doe, then it changed to 00000078. Had another HDD a couple of moths back too, same User Box issue.
Do you think they are related or can you give me any ideas?
KM suggested that the user changed the User Box name and that someone must have changed the default paper sizes - helpful, thanks!

Answers on a postcard please :-)

Thanks

Tam

blackcat4866
06-14-2014, 01:55 AM
Answers on a postcard please :-)

I don't have a postcard to post my answer with, but I only see two possible causes:
1) The enduser is changing the settings
2) Perhaps the HDD is failing, but I can't imagine the box data changing to other useable values.

I'm sticking with #1, even without the postcard. =^..^=

Synaux
06-14-2014, 06:28 AM
I think there is a setting in Service Mode for A4/8.5x11--I don't have my manual with me.

Now I may be way off base here but you state:

This first showed a couple of years ago. We set it back to A4 and was fine for 12 months, then it changed to 8.5 x 11.
We changed it back again. 6 months later same thing. It did it twice in 1 week, then fine again.
Given a year of success then an exponential decrease makes me think NVRAM battery (if I am assuming correctly that this data is stored in the NVRAM).
I have had a few machines that would reset several settings after being unplugged for a period of time and after a power outage. I suspected the battery on the NVRAM; however, the circumstances were always insignificant enough to simply warrant my assistance and be on my way.

"Good night and good luck"

mikeena
06-16-2014, 09:01 PM
I think there is a setting in Service Mode for A4/8.5x11--I don't have my manual with me.

Now I may be way off base here but you state:

Given a year of success then an exponential decrease makes me think NVRAM battery (if I am assuming correctly that this data is stored in the NVRAM).
I have had a few machines that would reset several settings after being unplugged for a period of time and after a power outage. I suspected the battery on the NVRAM; however, the circumstances were always insignificant enough to simply warrant my assistance and be on my way.

"Good night and good luck"

I agree think of it as a cmos battery in your pc if it goes out then the date changes. try battery if not you said it needs to be to a4 is there two types of firmware. us/eu sorry from us so i dont know what the other country codes are

Taminol
06-19-2014, 08:21 PM
Thanks for your replies. Seems to be a theme running here that the NVRAM is the issue.
Given your rationale, I would agree it does sound a likely culprit
Last time I had any NVRAM issues was on a C250! Long ago.
Presumably I couldn't getaway with an NVRAM from our donor C452?

Synaux
06-24-2014, 04:36 AM
Thanks for your replies. Seems to be a theme running here that the NVRAM is the issue.
Given your rationale, I would agree it does sound a likely culprit
Last time I had any NVRAM issues was on a C250! Long ago.
Presumably I couldn't getaway with an NVRAM from our donor C452?

You can....caveat emptor..., but you are better off getting a new battery (IF I am correct) or replace the NVRAM board.

Custom Search