PDA

View Full Version : Bizhub 423 every few minutes prints almost blank page.

Custom Search

wseyller
06-16-2014, 11:55 PM
Customer has a Bizhub 423 with a handful of computers that print to it. Every once in a while it will print a page that is almost blank. In one corner of the page it has a little checkerboard pattern few millimeters in size and a plus sign right next to it. It is the same every time. During this time the data light will print. In the job list history it always shows the user as: PRINT and the document name as: PRINTER. Looking thru the history it seemed to happen approx every 5 to 20 minutes. I've seen around 35 minutes as well. All normal printing seems to work just fine.

I was out at this customer last week and I decided to update the firmware as it was very old. I was there for at least an hour after the upgrade to clean the copier and such. These pages did not print out anymore. Then couple days later the same call came back in.

History on this copier. Back on 8/1/13 it shows they had possibly the same issue and tech removed network cable from the surge to resolve it. On 3/19/14 MFP board was replace for c-fc24 code.

I suspect one of the computers on the network is causing this. I though about doing wireshark and filtering only packets to the copiers IP address. Only problem though is it would be nice to be able to analyse all devices on the network at once. I don't have a network hub or any other way to sniff all traffic going to the copier. A hub is hard to find anymore.

Any suggestions how I can isolate this and/or possible reason for this happening.

blackcat4866
06-17-2014, 12:08 AM
How about changing the printer's IP address to a new unused address, then changing the port in the individual drivers? If it is non-print data or corrupt print data it should not be able to follow the IP change. =^..^=

mikeena
06-17-2014, 12:14 AM
How about changing the printer's IP address to a new unused address, then changing the port in the individual drivers. If it is non-print data or corrupt print data it should not be able to follow the IP change. =^..^=

i agree change the ip address. I know on the higher end models you can set the machines to print test charts after so many copies is there anyway i can see the image it is printing to ssee if it is a machine print or a cpu print

wseyller
06-17-2014, 12:47 AM
Great idea blackcat. Makes perfect sense. Unless somehow the bad job keeps recreating itself. I don't have a sample. On vacation till Thursday. I may provide one later for everyone to see.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

wseyller
06-19-2014, 07:32 PM
I think I resolved this.

There was one computer with a bizhub 200 driver pointed to the same ip as the copier and it has 4 jobs stuck in the queue. I also did change the ip address just in case and checked all the other pcs.

Here is the scan of the issue.

Mihai7
08-04-2014, 08:07 AM
Sory, but you can confirm that the problem was that you described? the same problem with a bizhub c35 - few prints per hour with the same simbols in the corner.thanks

Mihai7
08-04-2014, 08:08 AM
solved like you describe?

MFPTech
08-04-2014, 04:29 PM
Customer has a Bizhub 423 with a handful of computers that print to it. Every once in a while it will print a page that is almost blank. In one corner of the page it has a little checkerboard pattern few millimeters in size and a plus sign right next to it. It is the same every time. During this time the data light will print. In the job list history it always shows the user as: PRINT and the document name as: PRINTER. Looking thru the history it seemed to happen approx every 5 to 20 minutes. I've seen around 35 minutes as well. All normal printing seems to work just fine.

I was out at this customer last week and I decided to update the firmware as it was very old. I was there for at least an hour after the upgrade to clean the copier and such. These pages did not print out anymore. Then couple days later the same call came back in.

History on this copier. Back on 8/1/13 it shows they had possibly the same issue and tech removed network cable from the surge to resolve it. On 3/19/14 MFP board was replace for c-fc24 code.

I suspect one of the computers on the network is causing this. I though about doing wireshark and filtering only packets to the copiers IP address. Only problem though is it would be nice to be able to analyse all devices on the network at once. I don't have a network hub or any other way to sniff all traffic going to the copier. A hub is hard to find anymore.

Any suggestions how I can isolate this and/or possible reason for this happening.

I agree, one of the PCs on the network is doing it; had a similar issue in 2 different customers lately on Kyocera machines.
I agree it is not easy to find a 10 MB hub anymore: I was lucky one of my customers complained about slow printing and found out they had connected the copier to such a hub; the customer gave me the hub to throw it away!
I disagree in changing the IP address; it won't help because the computer is sending the corrupted data by scanning the entire subnet.
Try at list a switch or turning the computers off one by one but that would be a long and painful process.

wseyller
08-04-2014, 06:25 PM
Yeah the IP address change isn't the option. In my case it was definitely one PC on the network using the wrong driver. There were jobs stuck in the print queue of the wrong driver that was sending one page every few minutes. Then it would stop for a day or two because that workstation was off at times.

Custom Search