PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous Konica 7228 smb function

Custom Search

BradA
07-16-2014, 06:27 PM
I am new here and I have a question. I will be going through the vast number of posts, but I am looking for some help on this now and time is of essence.
I am working at a customers sit and their windows back office nt4.0 machine has bit the dust and will not communicate over ethernet. So I have a NAS MyCloud from wester digital on the network to take its place. There are now only 3 people or so on the network, so this should be fine. They have a HP 467 all in one and I got that working just fine to where I wanted, a folder named scanned documents is where it sends the scans. Problem it is unbearably slow.
We want to get the bizhub 7228 to do the scanning to the NAS. Now this unit was on the back office nt4.0 server as a DNS printer and it worked fine. I duplicated the file names to make things easy and fixed anything that needed to be changed.

So to setup the SMB part of the 7228 I made the name of the NAS KARES-000. I used the GUI interface of the 7228 to change the parameters of the one touch button that existed.
I used KARES-000 as the Host Name. The folder name is scanned documents "lower case" on the public folder of the NAS so the path when brought up on a PC is \\KARES-000\public\scanned (file://\\KARES-000\public\scanned) documents. I have tried every which way to get this to work and no dice. I put the folder name as public\scanned documents and every change I could make I made. No go. I do get an error N-33 which tells me to check the password and username in the smb setup. The username is konicascan and password has been 00000000 or 12345678. Thanks for any help.

ivovb
07-16-2014, 07:06 PM
First of all in the network You have to have unique smb names. In other words disconnect nt4 when checking scanning to NAS. Second nt4 and 7228 is ok because they use most likely same version of smb. Which OS do You have on NAS? Try update 7228 to the latest firmware in order to save some time checking which version of smb 7228 supports. Does NAS uses some kind of anti virus software or firewall? Check if smb port is opened. Do You have NAS access with user/password?

BR

TheOwl
07-16-2014, 11:40 PM
Juswt for shits and giggles, give FTP a try. I normally like to stear clear of FTP when I can, but you may actually have an issue with version of SMB on the NAS more than a Username / Password issue.

FTP is rock solid and still works with machines that are extremely old as the protocol hasn't really changed.

BradA
07-17-2014, 04:43 AM
First of all in the network You have to have unique smb names. In other words disconnect nt4 when checking scanning to NAS. Second nt4 and 7228 is ok because they use most likely same version of smb. Which OS do You have on NAS? Try update 7228 to the latest firmware in order to save some time checking which version of smb 7228 supports. Does NAS uses some kind of anti virus software or firewall? Check if smb port is opened. Do You have NAS access with user/password?

BR

Thanks for your time and patience. By unique names I take it you mean DNS names? The NT4 back office server is off line and gone.
The NAS runs NT server 4.9. I do have SSL acess, but wish to stay out of it for now. I have found a printers folder in the NAS but can't see any of the printers and only wish to see the one anyway.

I will try the update to the latest printer driver, but on what machine do I update it too?
If there is a firewall on the NAS, I don't believe so. I have nothing in the GUI's nor manual that addresses that. The only thing it does have is permission control per user who all have full access at this point. I tried to give the PUBLIC folder full access and it errors out as access denied.
I have NAS access and I even made access for the printer itself called Konicascan and gave it a password. this is in the cloud. I still continue to get denied access to change the security permissions on a folder in the MyCloud. I will look into that.

I don't believe I can run any programs on trhe NAS like a twain driver or a 7228 print driver.

I am at a loss of where I should update a 7228 driver and at what PC do I do that at. Am I using one of the computers as a server for the printer? In other words does the scan I do go to the XP computer of a user and get routed to the NAS. I sort of thought that it would go from the 7228 to the NAS via IP addresses. Am I off base here? Thanks Brad

BradA
07-17-2014, 05:01 AM
Juswt for shits and giggles, give FTP a try. I normally like to stear clear of FTP when I can, but you may actually have an issue with version of SMB on the NAS more than a Username / Password issue.

FTP is rock solid and still works with machines that are extremely old as the protocol hasn't really changed.

Thanks for your time and patience. I dabbled with the FTP today, but to no avail. Probably not doing it right.

I registered a name in the FTP part and put in what I thought was the proper parameters. It was a half hearted try anyway, so I will look more into that function. You are saying I can FTP directly to the NAS folder from the printer. Now it does ask for a username and password. Do I just use anonymous and no password? How do I know if the 7228 has write permissions on the NAS? I did build the konica a user profile with full access, but if I try to change permissions on the MyCloud, I get permission denied. Common issue with SMB and FTP.

Now is there a version of SMB on the NAS? It is doing nothing but recieving a file.

I do have a HP 467 all in one working fine and did nothing special to make it work. That is a new HP unit, so that might be the reason.

Even if I found a driver with a newer SMB version, do I apply the driver to the printer or does it install on the PC's on the network? Thanks Brad

All of this worked with smb on the NT 4.0 server unit setup as a DNS type server. Do I have to take things out on the printer having to do with this DNS stuff or domains etc?

Just to let you know, my background is telephones and PBX's, but this guy trusts me deeply and does not care for any of the IT guys he has had on board to do this stuff. He is cool with the fact I need to figure this out and I can do that with some help. An IT guy I am not, but I can handle small networks like this with no real issues. It's these scan to folder stuff that is different, but should work. Brad

TheOwl
07-17-2014, 08:14 AM
Have you tried using the IP address of the NAS instead of the DNS name? If so, the it sounds like you need a bit more help than just this forum.

Unfortunately I can't say if you need to change permissions on your NAS when you add FTP because every NAS is different, so you will either have to read the documention on the NAS or pay someone that knows what they are doing.

Ok, there are many different versions of SMB. In a Windows environment, you have SMB v1, v2 and v3. When you machine was released, it would have conformed to the version of SMB that was available at the time. Recently with the introduction of Windows 8 and Server 2012, SMB v3 was released and alot of machines have needed firmware upgrades to get this to work. Machines no longer supported or close to their End of Life Cycle also didn't recieve a firmware update to fix this.

The HP Device that you speak of is a lot newer than your old Konica so chances are that it is a lot more compatible with newer NAS's.

There is no driver for SMB. SMB is embedded in the Operating System of the NAS, MFP, Windows, Linux and stuff like that.

As for your old Windows NT Server, the copier may have worked fine with that, but your NAS is a lot newer than NT and employs new technologies and security measures which your machine may not be able to communicate with correctly.

BradA
07-17-2014, 06:13 PM
Have you tried using the IP address of the NAS instead of the DNS name? If so, the it sounds like you need a bit more help than just this forum.

Unfortunately I can't say if you need to change permissions on your NAS when you add FTP because every NAS is different, so you will either have to read the documention on the NAS or pay someone that knows what they are doing.

Ok, there are many different versions of SMB. In a Windows environment, you have SMB v1, v2 and v3. When you machine was released, it would have conformed to the version of SMB that was available at the time. Recently with the introduction of Windows 8 and Server 2012, SMB v3 was released and alot of machines have needed firmware upgrades to get this to work. Machines no longer supported or close to their End of Life Cycle also didn't recieve a firmware update to fix this.

The HP Device that you speak of is a lot newer than your old Konica so chances are that it is a lot more compatible with newer NAS's.

There is no driver for SMB. SMB is embedded in the Operating System of the NAS, MFP, Windows, Linux and stuff like that.

As for your old Windows NT Server, the copier may have worked fine with that, but your NAS is a lot newer than NT and employs new technologies and security measures which your machine may not be able to communicate with correctly.

I thank you very much for your input. I did not know about any versions of "SMB". This makes sense, but one would also thing backwards compatability.

As for permissions on the NAS, a update from WD addresses just that prob lem of not being able to change permissions on folders. It came out on July 9, 2014, so once I do that firmware update, I hope I will be good to go.

Another person said to try FTP. I can do this and will today and give that a try. FTP is bare bones and rock solid. The MyCloud NAS does run on NT 4.9.

N ow I have to find out what the printers folder is for and how to populate it. This also may be part of the equation. Thaks for your ideas, keep them coming. I really do appreciate it all. Don't get me wrong, I do have some knowledge on this stuff, it's just in bits and pieces. Thanks again. Brad

ivovb
07-17-2014, 06:35 PM
As far as know unfortunately there is on backward compatibility in SMB like lets say in USB...

BR

BradA
07-18-2014, 09:36 AM
As far as know unfortunately there is on backward compatibility in SMB like lets say in USB...

BR

OK, so I spend more than enough time on this nessing with settings. Lets focus on the FTP function. I turned on the FTP on the NAS. I can do FTP in a dos window with the address of the NAS and for the printer' IP as well. They both respond. I placed the file path in the printer, but not sure of the format. I used the IP address of the NAS instead of the name. The username is the name of the printer KC23BC14. I made a user with this name and put a password of 12345678 for the user password.
In the path name file I have put /SCANS, SCANS, public/SCANS, /public/SCANS. All to no avail. I get errors N81 and N87 which tell me to check the path name, close any files on the FTP server etc. Any of you konaca gurus got a magic wand?

Just so you don't have to go looking, I did update the firmware this AM and it was supposed to have allowed me to change permissions on the shared folders, NOPE, that don't seem to work. I am logged in as administrator on the windows machine running XP and I am getting access denial from the NAS. No place to loginto the NAS. The NAS I am using pending how this works is a WD MyCloud. I plan on restoring this unit to a MyMirror when done. Thanks guys , I need to get to the bottom of this thing. Brad

ivovb
07-18-2014, 03:18 PM
Can You print screen with settings, because I could remember what are there...

BR

BradA
07-18-2014, 04:54 PM

BR

Ok i will make screen shots and upload them today.

BradA
07-21-2014, 04:20 AM

BR

Not sure what happened, but I typed in great detail the solution using FTP on Friday and it's not here..
So let's try again.
I went to the site and how I got it to work was the following.
The following info is what was needed to use a WD MyCloud personal 3 terabyte NAS to work with the scanning function of a Konica Minolta 7228 printer/scanner unit.

I googled "Proper FTP syntax"
I found a website that gave me the following FTP syntax
ftp://username:password@myservername

I contacted an IT friend and also spent some time on the phone getting some questions answered by western digital.
WD confirmed that there is a SAMBA protocol in the NAS as well as an FTP server. Samba is just on and FTP has to be turned on. I went for the FTP as I was familiar more with it. My friend gave me some tips as well as the website. The site told me to use WINDOWS EXPLORER, not IE since it was just network. So i started putting in the parameters:= ftp://km23bc14:00000000@/Kares-000/Public/SCANDOCS . This was after a few tries with just the username and password and /Kares-000. BAM, it came up and I knew now all I had to do was fill in the rest of the path as above. Perfect I was in, now let's see how it all plugs up on the Konica 7228 printer.

I opened the GUI* for the printer and started with a name Kares Scan FTP
Host Address= the Ip address of the NAS 192.168.254.160
File Path I put:= ftp://km23bc14:00000000@/Kares-000/Public/SCANDOCS
Username =? Did not know what to use here but found out it to be km23bc14
Password: did not know what to put here yet, but it turned out to be 00000000
When I went to save this, it did not like it (the 7228 did not) so I took the @ out.
Hit Entry(Save in konica talk) and it took, but when I checked the save all was the same except:
The km23bc14 was in the username and the password of 00000000 move to those fields. I now had /Kares-000/Public/SCANDOCS as the File Path. It still did not work, but I knew that the IP address was the same as the name of the NAS. Since this was not acting as a DNS server like the back office NT 4 was, I took out the /Kares-000 and left it as /Public/SCANDOCS

HEH, It worked !!! There was the scanned file I scanned. It was in TIFF format, but there it was. Changing the printer to do PDF fixed that issue.

Now that it works and above is the detail, there were a couple things I had to figure out before I did all this. Remember I knew little of what I was doing. The * next to the GUI above. I wanted to let anyone know that the GUI is a JAVA applet, therefore you needed the latest Jave which I had. It still kicked me out with a Java security error. So i investigated Java security errors and it acts like a small firewall. I placed the IP address of the printer in the exception or trusted area in a couple different formats and bingo, I was in.

The other thing I had to do is turn on the FTP server in the NAS which was easy enough to do in its GUI dashboard.
Western Digital tech could not help me with the printer, but he was able to answer some questions of how the NAS looked now as compared to the Back Office server. Even though both are based on windows server 4.X, I did not have the access to it with the NAS like I did with the server. Also I learned what the DNS did locally. I don't have that now.
All in all this was a learning experiance for me. To some of you this may be old school, but it is satisfying that I got it to work. I am ready to see if the SMB function will work as well now that I know the proper path and info. Either way, I did get it to work for the customer albeit some slight extra things to do, but they will be relieved.
One other thing I did was to give the printer a user position in the NAS, thus the km23bc14. This is the name I get when I connected with it using FTP in a DOS box. So I made a user with the same name and gave it a password and gave it full priveldges in the NAS. Also The NAS had to be updated to version 4 because privelidges did not work in the earlier version I had. Version 4 was released 7/9/2014.

Remember, my background is telephony, over 50 years of it and IT even this simple stuff is not my major, but one thing I am is a good trouble shooter and I do focus and focus hard on a problem. I love the challange.

Thanks to all for your input, I hope my explaination helps someone else out. This info will probably work with a number of Konica printers of this vintage or higher for all I know and maybe can be used for other makes.
I did try to setup EMAIL SCAN, but the unit does not have an option for SSL on SMTP so that's out since the ISP requires it.

Mr Spock
07-22-2014, 01:31 AM
the smb on that model does not allow spaces and should be all caps.

BradA
07-22-2014, 04:43 PM
the smb on that model does not allow spaces and should be all caps.

Ok, thanks for the info. When you say it all needs to be caps, Just what has to be caps, the HOST NOME, File Path, and if that is the case, do all of the folders involved have to be in caps as well? Can you use my info in the FTP section which is actual to eliminate guessing and create an example?

IE: Does the folder Public have to be changed to PUBLIC on the NAS.
SCANDOCS is already in caps
Does the NAS Name have to be changed from Kares-000 to KARES-000. It would be good to know this as I am in the process of mapping drives and folders. Thanks, I appreciate your help. Brad

Custom Search