PDA

View Full Version : Troubleshooting Bizhub 250 stall and reboot

Custom Search

Travis R
07-29-2014, 12:03 AM
I am IT (among other things) at a small company that bought a Bizhub 250 from a used equipment dealer. We're trying to do as much of the service and maintenance on our own as we can and I've done things like replace the drum and fuser with success. From day one the unit has always had a significant lag before it would start printing and takes a very long time to queue up documents. Lately we have had frequent but intermittent problems with print and scan jobs either stalling completely or just causing the unit to reboot. When it stalls on a print, the green activity light will flash and the job will be shown as "receiving" interminably. If I choose to delete it nothing happens until I do a full power down, at which point the queue empties. Something similar happens with scan - the queue will report it in progress and I cannot delete it until I do a full power down. These problems may be more prone to occur when there are multiple jobs, or a large job, in the queue - but that's anecdotal.

As a software engineer I'm immediately drawn to some sort of memory management / corruption issue when I look at the symptoms and the inconsistency with which they manifest. The unit is old and firmware needs to be updated but obviously a tech would have to come in and do that. It is currently running:
MSC: 4040-0100-G00-03-002
Printer: 4040-0100-G00-02-000

Should I expect that a firmware update might resolve these problems, or is there something more that is likely needed? If something more, what might that be? If we try a firmware update, how much should we expect to pay? My understanding is that it's just a matter of plugging in a compactflash card for a few minutes. Anybody in the Redmond, WA area that is interested in helping out?

Thanks in advance to everybody that is willing to offer advice to DIYers who are trying to save a few bucks.

Custom Search