PDA

View Full Version : Kyocera vs Konica minolta?

Custom Search

T_foot2
08-05-2014, 02:53 AM
Anyone work on both the Kyocera and the Konica-Minolta lines? Which do you prefer to work on? is one easier than the other?

Max
08-05-2014, 01:01 PM
konica for colour, kyocera for b/w

JR2ALTA
08-05-2014, 03:36 PM
I've wanted to make a youtube video of replacing feed rollers side-by-side on a Kyocera and Konica. The Kyo video would end at about 29 seconds, Konica 11 minutes.

I'm pretty sure I could actually install a Kyocera PM kit quicker than replacing Konica feed rollers.

Konica has lots of firmware bugs and board failures. When I worked on Kyocera a few years ago this was very very rare.

SuperTech
08-05-2014, 05:57 PM
konica for colour, kyocera for b/w

I agree with you 100% as far as output quality is concerned but the newest Kyocera color boxes are pretty good (I'm talking about the TASKalfa 3551ci/4551ci/5551ci models, their console models still suck balls)

I've wanted to make a youtube video of replacing feed rollers side-by-side on a Kyocera and Konica. The Kyo video would end at about 29 seconds, Konica 11 minutes. I'm pretty sure I could actually install a Kyocera PM kit quicker than replacing Konica feed rollers. Konica has lots of firmware bugs and board failures. When I worked on Kyocera a few years ago this was very very rare.

Kyocera is a much more tech friendly box to work on for almost the entire product line.

blackcat4866
08-06-2014, 01:19 AM
I've wanted to make a youtube video of replacing feed rollers side-by-side on a Kyocera and Konica. The Kyo video would end at about 29 seconds, Konica 11 minutes.

I'm pretty sure I could actually install a Kyocera PM kit quicker than replacing Konica feed rollers.

Konica has lots of firmware bugs and board failures. When I worked on Kyocera a few years ago this was very very rare.

I entirely agree. Along with the easiest color calibration and great image quality, you get lots of firmware bugs. =^..^=

copier addict
08-06-2014, 03:59 PM

Yes, you do have to keep up on firmware with KonMin machines, but colour is likely the best in the industry. With the new b/w line being the same box as the colour line it makes b/w better as well. Changing feed rollers may take minutes instead of seconds, but it gives the tech a chance to check for potential issues with the feed assembly.

EarthKmTech
08-06-2014, 09:27 PM
It would be nice if km redesigned their feed units to be more tech friendly and do away with silly one way bearings riding on the shafts and make the rollers gear driven etc.

Perhaps just rip off the xerox design but make the rubber last more than 5 minutes and you would have a great solution.

CompyTech
08-06-2014, 09:43 PM
On the new e Series they finally made the feed rollers pretty simple to get to. On production, they're still using 90s tech unless you get the air feeders.

As far as KM vs Kyo, I'd take KM over Kyo any day of the week for most things.. Kyo does has some good design aspects tho, but perhaps I'm biased as I've worked on mostly KM for 6 years now.

Kyos are usually alot cheaper than KMs there for are competitive when customers are considering purchases..

copier addict
08-06-2014, 11:56 PM
The simpler they make these machines, the less they need us.

Phrag
08-07-2014, 06:33 AM
I work on both. Trained more extensively on KonMin machines than Kyo though.

Both have +'s and -'s obviously.

The new e series rollers take seconds to replace now. No real need to unscrew the feed unit anymore. Mostly. Kyo obviously had this advantage long ago.

The Colour machines in the KonMin range these days are simple to replace drums/dev etc. No need to remove the Image Formation Unit, then toner bottles, then devs and drums. I think you need to take the belt out first, which requires the fuser to be removed. Always hated doing that.

I've also been to a couple of those Kyo 'Smart' machines where all the parts are user replaceable. All the parts usually reserved for techs are now clipped out by the user. Drums, Fusers, Transfer belts, transfer roller etc etc. Makes it a good choice for T&M customer well out of the way. Charge the parts, and ship the parts to them if they want to replace them. I guess the only problem there is finding someone intelligent, and confident enough to replace them.

copier addict
08-07-2014, 01:37 PM
The Colour machines in the KonMin range these days are simple to replace drums/dev etc. No need to remove the Image Formation Unit, then toner bottles, then devs and drums. I think you need to take the belt out first, which requires the fuser to be removed. Always hated doing that.

Changing drums has always been easy on KonMin colour machines, except maybe the CF2002 series.
Removing the transfer belt does not require removing the fuser first. And changing the drums does not require removing the transfer belt.

Konicoz
08-07-2014, 01:45 PM
In my opinion after working with them both for just over 2 years

best of Kyocera
B&W range
Tech friendly (except TA range access to drum area...)
Boards and electrical (but some connectors are crazy hard to release)
firmware - finding latest and upgrading is so easy hassle free
Tech support
Price of parts

best of Konica Minolta
user control panel (except for 4 series slide panel... stupid idea)
Colour range
Mechanical reliability
clean machine
....wow finding it hard to say what's good about them, and believe it or not I am a fan...

darry1322
08-07-2014, 02:00 PM
Changing drums has always been easy on KonMin colour machines, except maybe the CF2002 series.
Removing the transfer belt does not require removing the fuser first. And changing the drums does not require removing the transfer belt.

I was thinking he meant to say the Kyocera units required belt and fuser removal to remove the drums.

Phrag
08-07-2014, 11:42 PM

Are you saying you don't have to? The manual directs you to. I always followed that. Didn't want anything to break lol. TaskALFA 3550ci, 4550ci manual indicates that it had to be. *shrugs*

copier addict
08-07-2014, 11:51 PM
Are you saying you don't have to? The manual directs you to. I always followed that. Didn't want anything to break lol. TaskALFA 3550ci, 4550ci manual indicates that it had to be. *shrugs*

If you were talking about Kyocera I apologize. It sounded to me like you were referring to KonMin about having to remove transfer belt before you remove the drums.

Phrag
08-08-2014, 12:42 AM
My apologies. I didn't really clarify. KonMin machines are easy to replace the drums etc.

Kyo machines required other bits to be taken out before doing so.

CompyTech
08-08-2014, 03:59 AM
My apologies. I didn't really clarify. KonMin machines are easy to replace the drums etc.

Kyo machines required other bits to be taken out before doing so.
That's right. Took me an hour to change a magenta IU on a TA3050ci vs km c360(15 mins).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

minoltaed
08-08-2014, 08:37 PM
Been working on Km for 20 years. We sell both Kyocera and Km. Km all the way, if it was up to me all we would sell is the km products. Kyocera products are cheap and pieces of junk!!!

DayDreamer
06-09-2018, 06:12 AM
Ive worked and am trained on both manufacturers they both have their ups and downs the kon min e series is much faster to work on than previous models making them much more tech friendly but the kyoceras produce truer color and better detail in fine prints no doubt about it. For durability id go kon min i think the kyo needs a makeover they are very large and pretty poor to look at

Custom Search