PDA

View Full Version : C284E MISSING FAX ICON

Custom Search

oldtech
08-11-2014, 01:04 AM
I have a C284e with fax option installed that worked great for 3 months then cust calls and says fax option is gone.

I overwrote firmware with latest version and replaced fax board with no joy. The installed option list is correct and the self tests work fine. It will receive fine but the panel has none of the fax controls. I made a new user with all rights and a fax destination but it appears to be trying to connect with a mail server. The scan to email functions fine. If you enter admin mode most of the fax controls are not present. If you web in most are not present. I have tried uninstalling the fax option and reinstalling with no luck. KM wants us to buy a controller, I thought I'd ask here if anyone has seen this one before I get my boss to buy a controller. I do believe it was storm damage as the cust says they lost a router at the same time.

Thanks for any ideas

emujo
08-11-2014, 03:51 PM
There is a way to disable the fax option through admin, it could also have experienced a problem and may have been self isolated, if you are using any kind of authentication, it could be prohibited from here. But, if you say the fax is installed and enabled through service mode, system 2, options, then I would be inclined to believe it is a MFP board problem. Emujo

oldtech
08-13-2014, 12:47 AM
Update, got KM on the phone while on site today. They suggested HDD format and clean reseat memory cards. Tried that with no joy, called back and the KM tech says a all clear might do it. I was not keen on doing that as I was afraid it might leave a brick for my customer instead of just no fax. I guess I'll have to do it but it will be first thing in the day so I'll have time to get it running again.
Anybody ever done a all clear on a C284e? I have the address book and account access backed up but not sure about the all clear effects on the print engine settings? I have a lot more experience with Ricoh not so much with KM products.
Thanks again for any thoughts you may pass along.

blackcat4866
08-13-2014, 01:34 AM
There may have been two or three times in 25 years that an All Clear has actually fixed something. Most of the time it just creates huge amounts of work, and usually many hours to recover back to where you started, if you're lucky and persistent.

I would most certainly run the Management List, then re-enter all the data lines that can be manually re-entered. Certain things like shading adjustment and CCD calibration may difficult to restore. Most likely you'll end up with licensing errors to recover from, and maybe movie data to restore. Stabilization and Gradation will be required for sure.

The only trend I've identified here, is that the person that recommends the All Clear has never actually done it ... and will be surprised by how hard it is to recover from. =^..^=

oldtech
08-17-2014, 10:26 PM
Finally found the trouble. Called KM again and got a different tech, he says check if "prefix/suffix" is on or off and if its on turn it off. It was on and turning it off got all the fax functions back. All I have to do is get the right movie data pushed back and I'm done. SO glad I didn't let the first guy talk me into the all clear. I don't think this customer is able to get into admin to change this setting so it must have been due to the storm they had earlier.

blackcat4866
08-18-2014, 12:19 AM
Finally found the trouble. Called KM again and got a different tech, he says check if "prefix/suffix" is on or off and if its on turn it off. It was on and turning it off got all the fax functions back. All I have to do is get the right movie data pushed back and I'm done. SO glad I didn't let the first guy talk me into the all clear. I don't think this customer is able to get into admin to change this setting so it must have been due to the storm they had earlier.

Damn, I'm glad you're using your head.

I don't always have good advice to offer ... but I can recognize the bad advice right away. =^..^=

EarthKmTech
08-18-2014, 08:33 AM
I hate to piss on your parade but i have had fax issues on a new out of the box e series cured by initialising the machine entirely. Fax initialisation, hdd format did nothing in isolation.

IE, it would receive fine and it would send fine ONLY if you manually dialed, entering in the number and sending in off hook mode. If you let the machine dial as per normal it would cause a failure warning and error code that was not in existence.

I've had to initialise e series machines for strange out of the box behaviour more than a dozen times. knowing when to do it is key its not the be all and end all fix for everything but some things can not be fixed with out it.

Custom Search