PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous Firmware changelog/release notes for Bizhub C250?

Custom Search

copytac
09-12-2014, 09:47 PM
Hi, could somebody help me out with release notes and/or service bulletins for the C250?

We've got a refurbished Ineo+ 250 today at the office, and I'd like to know what firmware releases exist for the device, and what bugs they fix.

Bugs encountered so far:

Generating an SSL certificate using the webinterface and enabling HTTPS leads to a broken web interface (forced redirection from HTTP to HTTPS, where you only get a "501 - Not implemented" for whatever HTTP request you make.
You can only install ridiculously small (yes, I'm talking of the file size) certificates on the device, basically forcing you to use a 1024 bit RSA key and preventing you from using a proper PKI because the PEM certificate would just grow too big
Scan-to-FTP fails with an error message asserting that the network could not be reached even if the FTP server is in the same subnet, and even if just a few minutes before, the device performed a flawless time/date synchronization with an NTP server from a different subnet (so the TCP/IP config is definitely correct)

Yes, we got a service contract for the device - but to be honest, I don't wanna waste my time begging the exact same people who even failed to at least *format* the HDD before delivering the device (hell, I'm not even talking of overwriting it). I prefer fixing crap myself so I can be sure the job is done right.

EarthKmTech
09-14-2014, 02:02 PM
Ummm, I've had these machines exchange hands for as little as $100 on several occasions on the unlikely occasion they aren't scrapped. If going on a service contract I would of opted for a machine a bit newer than a crusty old C250. That's still of the era where failing imaging units and toner blowing around the machine was a standard feature.

Firmware isnt even released for this dinosaur anymore, your best bet is to just get the latest on there possible, it's highly unlikely there will be anything else done from here on.

copytac
09-15-2014, 10:11 PM
Well, the reason why we chose the C250 over the C224 is that the service contracts for both devices cost around the same, but the C250 was offered for a lot less than the C224. As we don't need the additional speed of newer devices, and the financial risk of failing parts is entirely covered by the company from which we bought the device and the service contract for a few years, the deal was good enough for us.

I got Scan-to-E-Mail and Scan-to-FTP working today, but I haven't dared yet to give SSL another shot - I'll probably backup the settings first before installing a new certificate, so I won't have to redo the whole config stuff in case something goes wrong.

Speaking of dinosaurs: Till last week, we were running an aficio 1022, and man I can tell you, the maintenance technician was *delighted* to see such an old lady still in service, when he was at our office 2 months ago (he told me that he had learned his trade on that machine, and he could basically disassemble and reassemble it blindfolded). And of course, we won't toss the aficio away either, we'll probably just move it some office on another floor where we don't need color printing.

copytac
07-13-2015, 03:12 AM
As I've just got asked the question via PM:

Q: After configuring SSL and uploading a custom certificate to the device, I can't access the webinterface anymore. Even when trying to use plain HTTP, the webserver only responds with a "501 - Not implemented" error message. How can I recover from this?

A: You'll need InternetExplorer 6 or older to access the webinterface again. Even newer versions of IE do not seem to work, Firefox and Chrome give the same error. To get IE6, you can legally download (https://www.modern.ie/virtualization-tools) a virtual machine image containing Windows XP from the modern.ie (https://www.modern.ie/) webpage, which is is maintained by Microsoft for website developers who have to support older version of Internet Explorer. The VM images are even offered in the VirtualBox file format, so you don't even need a computer with a native Windows installation.

A general remark about SSL on the C250: The SSL implementation is so buggy that it is not usable *at all* for *anything* in practice. It only supports SSL 3 with archaic ciphersuites and RSA-1024 keys (and even those are only possible if your certificate is not too big). Both SSL 3 and and supported ciphersuites contain massive vulnerabilities, and RSA-1024 keys should be considered inherently insecure nowadays. Moreover, you are better off not using SSL at all with this device, as the *only* known way of using HTTPS/SSL with this device involves using a browser that contains a shitload of critical security vulnerabilites which can be easily exploited by a remote attacker. If you absolutely need encryption, you'll have to put a dedicated encryption/VPN appliance between your C250 and the rest of the network.

tzok
07-13-2015, 03:49 PM
Thaks a lot! You've saved me a lot of time, as I was getting to do a factory reset. IE 6 did the job, I've logged on and removed the certificate.

Custom Search