PDA

View Full Version : FS-526 Auxiliary Roller Gate failure

Custom Search

Phrag
09-18-2014, 07:01 AM
Hi guys,

Just posting up something I found out of town on an FS-526. What a load of fun.

The call was for "Paper not coming out far enough." On arrival I immediately see the problem. The gate that is normally driven down to meet he rubber rollers wasn't driving down. In fact, it was bouncing around up in the home position.

I pulled all the cover off etc as you can see in one of the photos, and found that the pin that the Black Gear encases is sheared off on both sides of the shaft.

We've got it back in the office at the moment, and we're going to try and drill the hole clear (it's one of those hard-set pins. It's stuck in there.) and replace it with a solid pin. Hopefully this won't be an issue in the future. I haven't seen this happen before, so I'm not sure what could have cause the pin to shear off. It's one of those hollow pins.

Has anybody else heard of, or seen this?

EarthKmTech
09-18-2014, 12:28 PM
We have had this a couple times in my office, fortunately the techs that repaired it were not me.

They replaced the shaft and im sure that's not a pleasant job.

As with many things i suspect it was probably fractured at build time and usage has just allowed it to fail completely.

Phrag
09-19-2014, 12:54 AM
It doesn't look inviting, that's for sure. About 100 Jesus clips, 2 dozen bushings and various other small objects in a cramped space.

EarthKmTech
09-19-2014, 06:12 AM
LOL Jesus clips.

Speaking of them, i was working on a machine the other day sleep deprived and the jesus clips pinged off twice, both times i was loosing it because i couldnt find them.

In the end, on both occasions i discovered they bounced off my shirt and ended up landing in the pile with the other ones already on the floor - they all added up in the end and nothing was missing. Miracles do happen it seems.

Phrag
09-19-2014, 07:53 AM
I've got a small stockpile of various sized metal and plastic clips for just that occasion.

The shaft has been ordered. Guess who gets to pull that sucker out? Moi.

EarthKmTech
09-19-2014, 09:18 AM
so you couldnt drill it out ?

habik
09-19-2014, 10:10 AM
They are push in. Wonder if it wouldn't be easier to drill one side of water pliers jaw with drill bit twice the diameter and press in new solid pin at the same time whilst pushing out the broken piece. ;) as it would be hard to align if you offset the pliers jaw a bit ( reason I am using water pliers is they have a lot of lever and jaws are fairly loose) Id try that.

Sent from my iDon't believe in marketing device using Tapatalk

Phrag
09-23-2014, 04:04 AM
Unfortunately, we couldn't drill it out. I've been told just to replace the shaft. I think I'll set aside most of the day just for that. No interruptions or I'm likely to flip out. lol

Hansoon
09-23-2014, 05:00 AM
Must be possible to push them out the way Habik describes. I did similar in the past and since than an old worn water plier became my best friend.

Hans

blackcat4866
09-24-2014, 01:02 AM
Yup. I would try to drift it out. With a slightly smaller punch or solid pin and a ball peen hammer, and a hard surface like an anvil, I'd drift it straight through. But you'll have to be careful how you support the shaft. I'd drill a 1/8" hole in a block of aluminum, so when the pin exits it will exit into the hole, and not bend the shaft.

You won't be able to drill out a hardened pin. =^..^=

Edit: Even better, use the smaller solid pin with a pair of vice grips. Each time to squeeze the vice-grips closed the pin will push just a little bit further out, without the traumatic hammering. Those white metal shaft break very easily. =^..^=

Phrag
09-25-2014, 02:18 AM
Hadn't heard the name Water Pliers before. I've seen them though. I'm thinking I might try using vice-grips/water pliers to try and push it out.

I'll see if I can find something like what's being suggested. Seeing as how I can't find an identical pin to put back in, a Solid pin wouldn't cause any issues in the future?

blackcat4866
09-25-2014, 02:38 AM
In general the solid pin will outlast the spring pin. =^..^=

Synaux
09-25-2014, 05:10 AM
You won't be able to drill out a hardened pin. =^..^=
Yes, but an easyout might work (if you can find one small enough)...even though it is pressed in.

You could always try thermodynamics....

I have a spare FS-517 I can pull a part from and send it to you, but you have to find out if its the same first. ;)

Hansoon
09-25-2014, 08:07 AM
You could always try thermodynamics....

That good ol' flamethrower comes in handy here..... :)

Hans

Phrag
09-29-2014, 05:43 AM
With the help of one of the senior techs here, we managed to remove the shaft (which was surprisingly easier than I thought), punch out the old pin, and replace it with a newer pin. Percussive force was applied liberally to the pin via the hammer.

We ended up using one of the steel pins out of the feed assembly found in the back of C452s. perfect length, and felt more solid than the old pin.

It fits in well. All I gotta do now is put everything back together and test it.

Custom Search