PDA

View Full Version : Error Code Emulation Error - KMB C652DS

Custom Search

benjaminprojas
10-07-2014, 08:03 PM
Hey all, first time here and posting. I've done a cursory search through this forum but haven't found anything remotely close to the issue I am having, so forgive me if I am double posting.

I have an error with a custom page size that only happens when printing from Linux. Basically, we print bulk cards on stock that is 5.5in x 4.25in through the bypass tray. When we print from windows, if the stock is not loaded, the printer asks us to load the appropriate stock and then successfully prints, as it should.

However, when printing from Linux, if the stock is not loaded we immediately get an error on the screen that says "Failed to complete job. Check log.". In the job history section the only details are "Emulation Error". If the stock is loaded and the bypass settings on the printer are set to 5.5in x 4.25in then it prints perfectly from Linux.

From the linux side of things, if I print a document that is 4in x 6in and the stock is not loaded, this also works as expected, perfectly. The difference on the printer is that it selects one of the "Standard Sizes" which is 4x6.

I have created a custom size on the printer for the bypass tray that allows me to quickly set the correct size for printing, but I would really like for Linux to be able to tell the printer the size to print and the Printer to ask for that size stock accordingly.

Also, I did try modifying the PPD file in Linux to add a stock setting (similar to the 4x6) but that did not fix the issue regardless.

Any thoughts on that? Thanks!

benjaminprojas
10-10-2014, 01:47 PM
Anyone out there have any ideas? Still struggling to figure this out. Let me know if you need any clarification.

benjaminprojas
10-13-2014, 02:29 PM
Just making sure this hasn't slipped through the cracks. Any ideas guys?

emujo
10-13-2014, 02:32 PM
Not too many of us deal with what you are seeing...Windows has the capability to create new forms through print server properties. Anything like this with Linux?

benjaminprojas
10-13-2014, 02:43 PM
Not too many of us deal with what you are seeing...Windows has the capability to create new forms through print server properties. Anything like this with Linux?

Thanks for the reply! Not that I am aware of, though I imagine that would be something CUPS would do if it were possible. I can look into that.

Does this sound like a driver issue to you?

emujo
10-13-2014, 03:08 PM
It may, I looked at the PPD file and you are correct, there is no support for this size. Have you tried using a different Linux driver for this? The newer E series has CUPS1 and 2 files. Might be worth a try. Emujo

benjaminprojas
10-13-2014, 03:42 PM
@emujo, Yes, I have tried multiple different PPD drivers for different printers including the new e series. No luck. I have been connecting via the LPD/LPR Host or Printer option when setting up the printer, I am going to run some tests connecting via AppSocket/HP JetDirect to see if that makes any difference.

I did find a Windows PPD file that has some Custom Page Size options for the different trays, but the bypass tray was not included as a part of that. I am also going to try adding in the bypass tray in that PPD file to see if that makes a difference.

Following is the original CustomPageSize option in the windows PPD:

*% === Custom Page Size ============

*NonUIConstraints: *CustomPageSize True *InputSlot Tray1
*NonUIConstraints: *CustomPageSize True *InputSlot Tray2
*NonUIConstraints: *CustomPageSize True *InputSlot Tray3
*NonUIConstraints: *CustomPageSize True *InputSlot Tray4
*NonUIConstraints: *CustomPageSize True *InputSlot LCT_Donau
*NonUIConstraints: *CustomPageSize True *Punch 2holes
*NonUIConstraints: *CustomPageSize True *Punch 3holes
*NonUIConstraints: *CustomPageSize True *Punch 4holes
*NonUIConstraints: *CustomPageSize True *Fold TriFold
*NonUIConstraints: *CustomPageSize True *TransparencyInterleave Blank
*NonUIConstraints: *InputSlot Tray1 *CustomPageSize True
*NonUIConstraints: *InputSlot Tray2 *CustomPageSize True
*NonUIConstraints: *InputSlot Tray3 *CustomPageSize True
*NonUIConstraints: *InputSlot Tray4 *CustomPageSize True
*NonUIConstraints: *InputSlot LCT_Donau *CustomPageSize True
*NonUIConstraints: *Punch 2holes *CustomPageSize True
*NonUIConstraints: *Punch 3holes *CustomPageSize True
*NonUIConstraints: *Punch 4holes *CustomPageSize True
*NonUIConstraints: *Fold TriFold *CustomPageSize True
*NonUIConstraints: *TransparencyInterleave Blank *CustomPageSize True

*NonUIOrderDependency: 60 AnySetup *CustomPageSize
*MaxMediaWidth: "882"
*MaxMediaHeight: "1296"
*HWMargins: 12 12 12 12
*VariablePaperSize: True
*ParamCustomPageSize Width: 1 points 255 882
*ParamCustomPageSize Height: 2 points 396 1296
*ParamCustomPageSize WidthOffset: 3 points 0 0
*ParamCustomPageSize HeightOffset: 4 points 0 0
*ParamCustomPageSize Orientation: 5 int 3 3

*CustomPageSize True: "pop pop pop
<< /CustomPaper true >> /KMOptions /ProcSet findresource /setKMoptions get exec
<<
/DeferredMediaSelection true
/PageSize [7 -2 roll]
/ImagingBBox null
/InputAttributes <</Priority [0]>> % can only use T1Standard
>> setpagedevice"
*End
*% === end Custom Page Size ============

benjaminprojas
10-13-2014, 08:59 PM
Well, none of those ideas worked...

blackcat4866
10-14-2014, 12:05 AM
The MFP simple cannot handle media that small. The shortest media in the feed direction must be at least 8 1/2". The machine is smart enough to discourage you from trying it. It absolutely will jam.

Your best hope is to set up the artwork 4-up, and cut the resulting sheets. =^..^=

emujo
10-14-2014, 02:01 PM
Cat, service manual shows 3 1/2 by 5 1/2 through bypass tray, 5 1/2 by 8 1/2 through trays. Driver lets me select a custom size as small as 3.554X5.5XX, and I can create the same size form through print server properties. I think it's an issue with the Linux driver. Go Windows!!!! Emujo

benjaminprojas
10-14-2014, 02:10 PM
Yep, that's right. I don't have any issues printing 4.25 x 5.5 through the bypass. No jams ever, the only issue is this driver issue via linux.

emujo
10-14-2014, 02:21 PM
If you have a maintenance contract on the machine, call your service tech. He/she can open a ticket with KM with any luck, the issue can be escalated to Japan and the driver can be fixed and released (assuming support for that size media was just left out) Emujo

benjaminprojas
10-14-2014, 02:35 PM
All right thanks. Unfortunately we don't have any maintenance contracts right now. We purchased the machine outright not too long ago and have been managing it ourselves in house. KM charges $135/hr for support, so that's a little steep for us :/

Well thanks anyway. Hopefully we can get this sorted sooner than later.

blackcat4866
10-15-2014, 12:06 AM
Cat, service manual shows 3 1/2 by 5 1/2 through bypass tray, 5 1/2 by 8 1/2 through trays. Driver lets me select a custom size as small as 3.554X5.5XX, and I can create the same size form through print server properties. I think it's an issue with the Linux driver. Go Windows!!!! Emujo

Thanks for the additional information emujo. =^..^=

Custom Search